19" wheels on 986?

siddleg

Hi 

Do 19" wheels fit ok on 986? They look good but does it alter the handling, rub on the arches etc? 

FWIW I have them on mine and the sooner I can get them off the better.  They fit without any issue, the handle without any but the ride for me is just too harsh.  I bought a set of 17" ones for mine and as soon as the weather improves they will be going on it.  You may find that you are OK with the ride quality but far too harsh for my old bones.

1 hour ago, Chriswright03 said:

They fit without any issue, the handle without any but the ride for me is just too harsh.  I bought a set of 17" ones for mine and as soon as the weather improves they will be going on it.  You may find that you are OK with the ride quality but far too harsh for my old bones.

Some people are just victims of fashion. :weeep:  

One of the first things I did to my 987 was to knock it down onto 18s - and even better are the 17" winters that I have.  I might just have to invest in another set of 17s and flog the 18s. :) 

2 hours ago, siddleg said:

Hi 

Do 19" wheels fit ok on 986? They look good but does it alter the handling, rub on the arches etc? 

Fit, yes.

Look good, depends on the wheel and fitment. 

Alter the handling? Will depend on what's on now with regards to tyre size, width and rolling radius. Rubbing shouldn't be an issue if you get the tyre size right, but as pointed out by the comfortable ride brigade they will ride harsher due to the reduced sidewall which will more than likely be needed to get them on there. It really depends on what you think is a harsh ride tbh.  

If I go aftermarket on my car, they'll be 19". For cosmetic reasons over handling. I can't see the effect being hugely negative or detrimental to the steering/handling feel. The handling is incredible on 18" so it will still be fantastic on 19".

I can sacrifice the comfort due to a slightly lower stiffer tyre profile. Car is only a weekend toy really anyway. 

I've read that 19" wheels on the 986 cause undue stress on the suspension components as it wasn't designed for 19" wheels. Could cause accelerated wear perhaps?

I've got 19's on my 987 & would prefer 18's to be honest.

IIRC there was some issue with 19" wheels on early 986's, later cars were supposed to be ok though.  Time has moved on so I would expect there would be evidence out there to either support or dismiss this.

13 minutes ago, neil.c said:

IIRC there was some issue with 19" wheels on early 986's, later cars were supposed to be ok though.  Time has moved on so I would expect there would be evidence out there to either support or dismiss this.

Wasn't that just the very early 2.5s and the problem was with 18s?  Standard wheels were 16", upgrades were 17" but they had to revise the suspension when 18s were added to the catalogue as an upgrade on the 'S'  19s were never a Porsche option so the car would not have been engineered for them.

• 2 months later...

iv got a mate who runs 19s on his 986 and to be honest it is sweet both visually and ride wise, and i feel takes it to another level and certainly looks more up to date style wise, whilst retaining the fab retro classic look the boxster is renowned for.

as in comfort i really couldn't tell a whole heap of difference in the ride quality, but the difference was more positive feedback and i felt more sure footed and preferable to the 17s i have on mine...granted his suspension is in good fettle but nothing special other than good  routine maintenance...if your suspension is tired i think no matter what rims your riding it will feel rough

i preferred the handling of the 19s to the 17s i have on mine by far, to the extent that  i have purchased some 19s off here to play around with..and we will see how they are to live with when fitted after being refurbed.

38 minutes ago, spyderman8 said:

Any insurance issues, I wonder, using a wheel size the car was never sold with?

You can declare any wheels as aftermarket/optional to the insurance, I have on mine for a very minimal cost.

Just want to add one thing. Around Stockport where I garage the car the roads are shocking and even the 17s in places feel very harsh. I quite like the idea of 18s but I have to drive through these streets to get to the more exciting ones and I'm not sure if my old bones could take it either. So in short maybe factor in the quality of the roads that you HAVE to drive on.

10 hours ago, hs0zfe said:

Well, they do alter the ratio and stress the engine more while reducing performance. Try going uphill on a bike with larger tyres...

Most people will change the aspect ratio of the tyres to compensate though so the circumference is still the same.

30 minutes ago, Araf said:

Most people will change the aspect ratio of the tyres to compensate though so the circumference is still the same.

+1:)

EF5C1B69-BA08-475B-B65C-FFC1E2D05D43.jpg

19s look good, feel good and with the right stance, grip like you'd want. 

5 hours ago, BoxsterTom said:

19"s look a bit too big IMO.

That to me is like your girlfriend saying," no honestly I'd prefer a smaller one". 

leaving-rhodeisland-1.gif 

I'm not sure I could go back to partially filled arches...:huh:

12 hours ago, Araf said:

Correct and tbh if you fit the right combo of wheel and tyre you can actually lose weight.

1 hour ago, That986 said:

Correct and tbh if you fit the right combo of wheel and tyre you can actually lose weight.

I just need to eat less. My wheels could weigh less than air and my Boxster would still have a fat knacker behind the wheel. 

Archived