Poll - new reg plates

Davidbf1.com

Plates - plain/flat or 3D Gel (domed not shaded)?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. OK, I've transferred my private plate onto my BGTS, want to get some new plates made up - what's everyone's view, plain good-quality FLAT plates, or with the 3D Gel "domed" (i.e. not the older shaded-effect 3D) characters? Can't make my mind up about a border around the plate (dark grey, to pick-up the body-colour of the car). Views appreciated.

• Plain/Flat font
    • 3D Gel / domed font
    • Border
    • No border

Hi everyone, looking for some views for getting new plates made up now I've transferred my private reg onto my BGTS

Hadn't added them into the poll Leonard, but perhaps I should have... My son has them on his Kermit/Acid-Green Corsa VXR Nurburgring rocket-ship and they really suit that!

Interested in this myself - I am just purchasing a new private plate to use on the Box.

Are the 3D Gel / domed font plates legal - I find conflicting information online?

Anyway I will watch the poll results with interest :) 

Hi Rowbos,

everything I've read about the 3D Gel font is they're legal, as long as spacing is correct etc. But that's just what I've read....

David

Thinking about this I think I might take my new registration to an OPC when it comes through and get a plate made up and fitted by them so it has Porsche Centre text along the bottom.  I'm gravitating to a plain plate...

I used these guys on eBay,had my plates with in 3 days from ordering, came with fixings etc and gd quality

ebay item number 232219672795 

I had a black line border with "BoXa.net" plus the normal flag to the left etc

I'm starting to think that uncluttered and minimalist is the way to go, so plain (flat) font, no border and no country/eu GB - will possibly become irrelevant in a couple of years. 

I will update pics when ive washed the car and ordered & fitted the plates! 

Thanks for everyone's views. 

+1

I had my pp made up foc from Colchester Porsche, when I purchased car, looks good with the OPC name no frills is my vote. (also I don't know what 3D gel plates look like?)!

4 hours ago, mrbikerdood said:

I used these guys on eBay,had my plates with in 3 days from ordering, came with fixings etc and gd quality

ebay item number 232219672795 

I had a black line border with "BoXa.net" plus the normal flag to the left etc

number not available to search on ebay

try that,probably didn't wrk as it was linked to my purchase

I have 3D gel plates on my 993 and aluminium plates on my BGTS.

They both look great so to me its down to personal choice.

ps the benefit of the aluminium pressed plate is they retain a curve you can create easily to simply stick on place on the front.

I got these from an eBay seller, great quality, cheaper than the 3D gel plates and quick delivery...

http://s624.photobucket.com/user/jonttt/media/__Boxster GTS/2017-03-16 15.16.05.jpg.html

Isn't ditching the GB bit a little premature?  You will still need some sort of indicator that you're not a local if you drive in Europe won't you (or is that one of the things May will negotiate out)?  Better than a huge sticker on the back.

7 hours ago, martyn said:

+1

I had my pp made up foc from Colchester Porsche, when I purchased car, looks good with the OPC name no frills is my vote. (also I don't know what 3D gel plates look like?)!

Ditto, from OPC Glasgow in my case.  I like having the OPC name on the car, for some reason I can't quite rationalise. ?

I also have the OPC Glasgow plates with the car's original registration number in the garage, which might come in useful in the (highly unlikely) event I decide to sell.

Less is more for me, I have plain aluminium plates with no border and no flag. I got a second set (with GB on) to put on when hopping across the channel.

I had GB plates put on our Chrysler bus for a Paris trip later this year. But for any other car we own, they're plain and simple plastic with no borders. 

I've got a pair of pressed black & silver classic plates with "JAS 986S" on that I use for shows. Hopefully I'll get to buy the actual reg when the DVLA put it for auction as requested. Such a shame I can't run classic plates all the time, look much better than yellow or white ones.

B43EA46C-AAD2-4C1F-B39E-510DA50DF46E.jpg

Archived