Anyone else playing with Porsche Tonbridge's 718s on Saturday?

Araf

As per the title, is anyone else having a drive around in the 718s this weekend?

I don't like trying cars that I'm not ready to buy but am interested to find out how much the 'driver aids' encroach on the driving experience. :unsure: 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

What drivers aids are you thinking of? The only one that will affect anything really is the active cruise?

Electronic handbrake is probably my biggest bugbear.

i actually like the electronic hand brake on mine but then again ... i am now eatin marmite on toast n red wine pmsl

16 minutes ago, topradio said:

I've got used to the handbrake, although I don't actually use it a lot.

Doesn't it automatically deploy?  I never use mine on the PDK and hate it when someone's been in there and pulled it up.

goes off if  the door is shut and you have seat belt on (otherwise foot on brake and manually take it off)

Doesn't however automatically put itself on which has caused a little embarrassment in the early days of mine, car rolling off after I had parked up!

PDK would be ok if left in P mode though :)

1 hour ago, jason3.2s said:

I used to forget if it was push or pull to activate/deactivate and was then told to replicate your foot on the brake i.e foot down on brake to stop is push to place the brake on and vice versa - works for me :)

1 hour ago, jason3.2s said:

Good idea, but the red light on the dash kinda gives the game away ...lol!

Depends on your car. If it's a manual, the hold function will NOT deploy unless the slope is greater than 5% (which is A LOT). If you have PDK, then a good firm shove on the brake pedal will engage hold. As others have said, if you have your belt on, both methods will auto release when you drive off.

In a manual car, it really is a pain in the left bollock when you've been used to other manufacturer's systems. Wyy 5%? Mountain passes are less steep - and the car rolls backwards too. It's one of the two things that I really dislike about the 718. Our Macan with PDK performs faultlessly.

Hi @Araf I thought Lorraine and i were going and expressed interest when we got back from France. They contacted me and told me I would be sharing the experience with someone going on their own, which I declined due to not be interested in being driven cross country by a stranger trying out a fast car!

Things must have changed as they have tried twice this week to get me along so if anyone is interested, I think they have a spare car!

Enjoy

1 minute ago, TV8 said:

Hi @Araf I thought Lorraine and i were going and expressed interest when we got back from France. They contacted me and told me I would be sharing the experience with someone going on their own, which I declined due to not be interested in being driven cross country by a stranger trying out a fast car!

Things must have changed as they have tried twice this week to get me along so if anyone is interested, I think they have a spare car!

Enjoy

Serves them right then. <_<  I guess the two of you have made other plans now, so can't take up their offer?

Ok, I think we are discussing multiple systems. This is what happens with the handbrake on the 981 PDK. The manual and the 718 may be different, I don't know.

The hand brake doesn't auto deploy & you have to manually apply it with a push when at rest. To release it, you pull it, but if you drive the car away with it on it automatically releases. Yes there is an led to indicate the status but that doesn't tell you which way to push/pull the lever. This is totally at odds with our MINI where it operates the opposite way around and doesn't auto release (it just gives a warning in the HUD and bleeps)

When parked the transmission locks up so there is no need to apply the handbrake but I do when on a slope of any description. I never bother applying it in the garage in case I don't drive the car for a few days and it seizes on (like my 986 does).

The hill hold is nothing short of superb. It seamlessly holds the car stationary when on a slope of almost any gradient and without looking at the display you wouldn't know when its on/off. A combination of auto transmission drag and the hill hold function means that the car never rolls backwards.

20 hours ago, topradio said:

I've got used to the handbrake, although I don't actually use it a lot. The only thing is I have to think everytime do I need to push or pull it?

LOL! ?  Every time I start up in the garage,  I have to think to myself "Pull Off"(!)

I know it will release automatically, but it requires slightly too many revs when manoeuvring out of of my garage and I don't want to startle my "senior" neighbours. 

Agree about the hill hold function.  I never even think about it, so it must be good.

Not being funny but please don't take one out if you cannot afford to purchase one, 

there are plenty of people who are genuine and interested but a lot of people who just want to drive one so they can bore everyone on the internet about how it doesn't compare to their 5 grand 2006 boxster and the exhaust note isn't to their liking ( not that they could afford one ) Blah blah, therefore taking away the hours the cars are available…

if your interested and can afford one feel free.... if your not please find something else to occupy the afternoon

seriously, I'm surprised I have to point this out but clearly I do, 

test driving cars you cannot afford and clearly have no intention of owning is a little pathetic, so please just don't.  its pathetic and a little desperate…… I'm sure a few will still do so. 

4 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Not being funny but please don't take one out if you cannot afford to purchase one, 

there are plenty of people who are genuine and interested but a lot of people who just want to drive one so they can bore everyone on the internet about how it doesn't compare to their 5 grand 2006 boxster and the exhaust note isn't to their liking ( not that they could afford one ) Blah blah, therefore taking away the hours the cars are available…

if your interested and can afford one feel free.... if your not please find something else to occupy the afternoon

test driving cars you cannot afford and clearly have no intention of owning is a little pathetic, so please just don't.  its pathetic and a little desperate…… I'm sure a few will still do so. 

This is something that I've never done however there are a small number of potential buyers who are 'just looking' and who, after a test drive, like the car so much they just have to have it.

You don't have to wait until Porsche have an open day you can test a car any day of the week and if they suspect that you're serious you will get it for a lot longer than a couple of hours.

9 minutes ago, Rufus said:

calm down dear...<handbags gif>

Just to be clear on this I have bought 3 Porsche's over the last 9 years...the very first one was at least 6 months after I had test driven one with no prior knowledge I could afford one (I had a budget that was around £15000 and ended up buying one in 2008 for £31350).

Had Porsche taken the attitude you would wish then they would undoubtedly not ever sold me one..

You really dont need to protect Porsche from 'test pilots' they know what gets them sales and the giving of test drives (accompanied or not) wins them sales, they know that which is why they do it!

I have had numerous invites to launches (911, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera and Macan) over the years, several PEC invites (in addition to the one you get when you order a new car) as well as 'try the new 991/718 or whatever whilst we give your car the once over and check its general health'....

If YOU are serious about buying one nothing any other person does or doesnt do will prevent Porsche finding time to take you out if that's what you want, Porsche are perfectly accommodating at most times IMO

27 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Not sure what to say. :unsure:  I'm not going to start on a Ph style p!ssing contest so would just like to point out: -

1/ They emailed an invite to me

2/ They telephoned to ask me

3/ Yes, I can afford one

If I had a £1500 BMW and not a hope in hell of ever getting a Boxster then 1 & 2 would not have happened - even though I do also have that BMW (and it's very dear to me).

Seriously Rufus, clearly you don't. ;) 

ps. If you can give me a pointer towards that £5k 2006 Boxster then I'd be interested in that too. ^_^ 

Not sure if Porsche are same but a lot of dealers actually get paid by the manufacturer for organising test drive and getting bums in seats. Sorry Araf not calling you a bum :D

46 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Not sure if Porsche are same but a lot of dealers actually get paid by the manufacturer for organising test drive and getting bums in seats. Sorry Araf not calling you a bum :D

I've been called worse. ^_^ 

Archived