Anyone else playing with Porsche Tonbridge's 718s on Saturday?

Araf

If it's any consolation 

I didn't even test drive the model I currently own but bought one, so I effectively gave someone a free test drive :laugh: 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, TV8 said:

@Rufus, the tension between marketing and sales!

Generally, it's a numbers game assuming you get the right people on the target list in the first place..

There is a fine line between a buyer and tyre kicker, you have to treat everyone as a potential buyer, as Reading OPC found out to their cost!:o

50 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

There is a fine line between a buyer and tyre kicker, you have to treat everyone as a potential buyer, as Reading OPC found out to their cost!:o

Exactly.  Get their attention, understand their interest, force a decision and make some action as Alex Baldwin once said in a film that has been used in lots of sales meetings! 

12 hours ago, Rufus said:

test driving cars you cannot afford and clearly have no intention of owning is a little pathetic, so please just don't.  its pathetic and a little desperate…… I'm sure a few will still do so. 

Have to disagree here. If they offered me the chance (which they haven't), then I'd love to take one out so that I know if its something I'd be interested in in the many years time when they come into my price range.

By your argument, you should never accept anything free as there might be someone else out there who is willing to pay for it.

By them offering a test drive now, they're building a rappor with a potential customer. Maybe not today but in the future. It creates a welcoming sense of generosity from the brand, regardless if it parts customers with their money straight away.

I've been invited to various open and launch nights, but never been available to attend. I would though. It's their shout who they invite. 

I test drove a 2010 Spyder before buying my other end of the scale 986S, I went into the OPC open minded with no specific idea of generation/model I wanted. Just that it had to be a good one that I clicked with and could justify. As much as I loved the 987.2, it was a lot of money as my first step into Porsche ownership. 

On Thu Mar 23 2017 at 9:30 PM, Araf said:

I don't like trying cars that I'm not ready to buy but am interested to find out how much the 'driver aids' encroach on the driving experience. :unsure: 

Try and drive the non S in a manual on 18s. Was the sweet spot for me. Felt like my 981 S but with taughter handling and lovely quicker rack

:laugh: 

Don't be hard on Rufus.  I know his heart is in the right place.

@Blackbatchew OPC Tonbridge are running invited 718 test drives from the Poacher & Partridge.

2 minutes ago, Nath said:

I hear Meals on Wheels are handling the catering.

Apetito. ;) 

7 hours ago, Blackbatchew said:

Is that today and tomorrow as in London today but may be one of the paupers who fancies a go tomorrow ! 

If you haven't had a confirmation, then I doubt there will be any spare seats available.

Portsmouth ran one last weekend, to which I was invited, but couldn't make it unfortunately.  Interested in the format of the day as it sounds more like a guided tour than a test drive?

To be honest, I was more interested in the Complimentary Refreshments, looking to stock up on sarnies and biscuits for the week with the other chavs.  :)

ps - Pls don't post in the 718 forum unless you have verified funds that you can afford one!  ;):D 

8 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

would be a bit disappointing to have a two page thread and no pics or insight by test flyers, wouldnt it?

I did start to, but then didn't know how any criticisms I had would be taken so erased it all from the draft I had written. ;)

If truth be known, the jury is still out as the test threw up more questions than it answered for me.

The PDK has improved a lot and Porsche seem to have made the Sport and Sport+ all road-usable (rather than Sport+ being all out race-car mode).

I didn't touch the handbrake - so I guess that is fine and we didn't press on sufficiently to get much feedback from the steering - but again that was well balanced for road use.

Some questions for me are "Why did manual mode seem more natural than auto in the 2.0?"  "Why was the 2.5 noisier?"  "Why did both have a high pitched whine (which I think was gearbox rather than turbo)?" "Does the 2.0 have a dirty great hole at the low end of the fueling map?" 

Let's face it, Porsche don't make a bad product but I still don't know whether to look at 718s next year or a newer/lower mileage specimen of the current one.

41 minutes ago, Leonard said:

@Araf No test drives in Manual Box then?

No, they only had PDKs on test, but that suits me fine.  I can't be bothered with a manual for daily driving any more.

51 minutes ago, Araf said:

No, they only had PDKs on test, but that suits me fine.  I can't be bothered with a manual for daily driving any more.

:blink: You must live in a city centre or have no soul ;)

16 minutes ago, Leonard said:

:blink: You must live in a city centre or have no soul ;)

I'm more R-soul than no soul and I just don't see the need for a manual for most of the time on cars with more than adequate power.  I might change my mind, if I do a bit more recreational driving.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Do it they sound better as well :P

If you want better sound, I'll bring the V8. :licki: 

Archived