Windows not quite snug?

red rocket

Not the best photos i know but the rear edge of both my windows is not quite snug to the hood. On each side of the car there is a gap of around half a cm. The rest of the window is fine. The seal to the rubber seems pretty tight - when i hosed off the roof recently there was  no leakage into the cabin - but the gap doesn' t seem quite right somehow. Would appreciate guidance.

Cheers.

yjVQUOx.jpg

AJG58H1.jpg

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

Looks ok to me. Its not supposed to be tight against the hood.

Was wondering about that but it's tight along the top, just not the rear edge.

6 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

You need to take the door panel off so you can see the holes for the adjustment screws. Loosen them off a  bit, adjust window and retighten

Thanks for that. This para from the tech post you mentioned seems to suggest there may not be an issue :

Look for symmetry between the top of the curve of the glass to the cabrio trim. Note the gab between the door handle end of the window glass edge and the cabrio trim is greater as the door seal flares out more here. I dont know the official spec, but mine and other Boxsters I have spied on seems to be about 5mm.

5 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Glass raises up when you shut the door, so you wont see any seal at the top

Its possible that you could reduce the gap slightly, but if its sealing ok I would leave well alone :)

7 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Glass raises up when you shut the door, so you wont see any seal at the top

Its possible that you could reduce the gap slightly, but if its sealing ok I would leave well alone :)

Good point. Thanks

18 minutes ago, red rocket said:

I had two 986's rather than a 987, but I think the principle is the same, and IMO that's exactly how it's meant to be. The seal is not formed by the edge of the window, it's the interior face of the glass against the rubber seal that presses out against it. And if I'm correctly reading your photos (it's a bit hard to tell which line is which) the edge of your glass comfortably sits outside the dark rubber seal. Certainly if you've not got any leaks even when hosing the roof, I wouldn't adjust anything.

3 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

I had two 986's rather than a 987, but I think the principle is the same, and IMO that's exactly how it's meant to be. The seal is not formed by the edge of the window, it's the interior face of the glass against the rubber seal that presses out against it. And if I'm correctly reading your photos (it's a bit hard to tell which line is which) the edge of your glass comfortably sits outside the dark rubber seal. Certainly if you've not got any leaks even when hosing the roof, I wouldn't adjust anything.

Thanks....more reassurance!

Mine's the same.  From the rear of the door for about 5 inches.

If you want to close the gap, try driving at a wall at around 30mph.  I reckon that might shunt the door back enough to close the gap.

Now, 

1 minute ago, Araf said:

Mine's the same.  From the rear of the door for about 5 inches.

If you want to close the gap, try driving at a wall at around 30mph.  I reckon that might shunt the door back enough to close the gap.

Now, 

No answer to that ! And i'm definitely not watching any bloody Rihanna video! ?

Archived