Exhaust bypass

Terryg

I have now worked my way through the "must do" jobs and quite a few of my "not necessary but desirable' things and I am now onto my 'not sure but thinking about it list' 

So the bypass is on the latter BUT I kinda like the subtlety of the standard system and I'm not sure if I would regret the bypass. 

Is there anyone vaguely close to Manchester with an S fitted with an exhaust bypass. I'd love to 'try before I buy'

Now having used up today's quota of inverted commas I await an enormous response with anticipation, or maybe not.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @Terryg, I'm in Knutsford and have a Revolution bypass (2000 986S) More than happy to meet up & demonstrate...

Cheers, Baggers.

6 hours ago, Terryg said:

I have now worked my way through the "must do" jobs and quite a few of my "not necessary but desirable' things and I am now onto my 'not sure but thinking about it list' 

So the bypass is on the latter BUT I kinda like the subtlety of the standard system and I'm not sure if I would regret the bypass. 

Is there anyone vaguely close to Manchester with an S fitted with an exhaust bypass. I'd love to 'try before I buy'

Now having used up today's quota of inverted commas I await an enormous response with anticipation, or maybe not.

Terry I was of the same mind but once I heard the by- pass mod I was convinced.  

Below 4k you'd hardly notice any difference so you can drive the car everywhere no problem, once out on the open road you'll never need the radio again ? another excuse to spam my vid below

4 hours ago, bagss2 said:

Hi @Terryg, I'm in Knutsford and have a Revolution bypass (2000 986S) More than happy to meet up & demonstrate...

Cheers, Baggers.

Thanks for that I am up to eyes for next couple of weeks but I will definitely be in touch.

@Southy thanks for that also, I think you are right but I want to be sure. Will look at video when I have proper Internet.

Thank you both for response.

hi, Terryg,iv got a 986 s with bypass pipes on, done them myself more than welcome to view and listen, have a run, you might like?.

Live in Cleckheaton, pm if interested sort something out.

cheers Chris

22 hours ago, bagss2 said:

Cheers, Baggers.

Thanks for that I am up to eyes for next couple of weeks but I will definitely be in touch.

@Southy thanks for that also, I think you are right but I want to be sure. Will look at video when I have proper Internet.

Thank you both for response.

16 hours ago, maudy said:

hi, Terryg,iv got a 986 s with bypass pipes on, done them myself more than welcome to view and listen, have a run, you might like?.

Live in Cleckheaton, pm if interested sort something out.

cheers Chris

Cheers Maude I'll probably go to Baggers as he is closer has exactly the same car and it's a Revolution job.

Very much appreciate the offer though.

2 hours ago, Terryg said:

Cheers Maude I'll probably go to Baggers as he is closer has exactly the same car and it's a Revolution job.

Very much appreciate the offer though.

sorry  Terry I meant you have to hear one live so you get the full effect inside outside on the move and drive by.

The video is just a bit of fluff

25 minutes ago, Southy said:

sorry  Terry I meant you have to hear one live so you get the full effect inside outside on the move and drive by.

The video is just a bit of fluff

I think I have watched that video in the past and from all the positive comments I'm pretty sure I want to do it but nor 100%

All the changes made so far have been reversible as I kept original parts, this is a bit different.

The exhaust bypass mod was the favourite thing I ever did to my 986 and if you're worried about resale you won't find a new owner who doesn't like it.

It sounds perfect and not too loud and intrusive, in fact the Boxster should have sounded like that from the start ?

17 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

The exhaust bypass mod was the favourite thing I ever did to my 986 and if you're worried about resale you won't find a new owner who doesn't like it.

It sounds perfect and not too loud and intrusive, in fact the Boxster should have sounded like that from the start ?

...but it may not have passed the legal driveby acoustic test with it like that... Mine has an Oettle Exhaust and it has a small plate in the outlet of the muffler... I think it restricts the gas flow at higher rpm's so may remove it at some point... but it sounds great right now... 

Would always advocate the bypass pipes. It can be as subtle or as loud as you like depending on the right foot. Mine was done by Hayward & Scott in Essex, but Revolution up there good guys

I have to put it on hold for now, the car is with Revolution for a broken sub frame and new brake pipes, then the passenger window broke so that's the bypass money gone. Still good to know everyone thinks it is worthwhile,

On 6/22/2017 at 4:31 AM, Terryg said:

I have to put it on hold for now, the car is with Revolution for a broken sub frame and new brake pipes, then the passenger window broke so that's the bypass money gone. Still good to know everyone thinks it is worthwhile,

It's worth it @Terryg the best mod you can do to a 986 that you will notice/love/enjoy every time you drive.

I've got a picture of my old exhaust but no measurements ?

25614974611_2e2bf54a71_b.jpg

Some people run the bypass pipes out of the side of tailpipes.

I don't think it affects the sound but by doing them out of the top you can't see them when it's fitted ?

ProSpeed Exhausts in Cardiff, £135 all in, best money I've spent on the Porsche.

Crackles on the overrun sometimes, pops and bangs on a cold start, removes the drone at motorway speeds and sounds almost identical to a 981 with the PSE at full chat. You need to have it :)

cRIdFZbh.jpg

sa1XWBqh.jpg

Thanks Geraint, I have watched all the videos before, I am just torn between the subtlety of the current set up  and the errr....  non-subtlety? of the bypass.

Is the bypass worth it on a 2.5?  I don't feel my exhaust is overly quiet or subtle already - it certainly makes a reasonable amount of noise, and has a nice rumble/occasional pop on deceleration.  I'm sure I read somewhere that the 2.5 sounds a bit more throaty as standard anyway (although I might be completely making that up!)?

19 hours ago, Coupe100 said:

Is the bypass worth it on a 2.5?  I don't feel my exhaust is overly quiet or subtle already - it certainly makes a reasonable amount of noise, and has a nice rumble/occasional pop on deceleration.  I'm sure I read somewhere that the 2.5 sounds a bit more throaty as standard anyway (although I might be completely making that up!)?

Hi mate the by-pass mod is all about tuning the exhaust sound of the car. If you are happy with the current setup then by all means leave it. The mod is not for performance.

Couple of videos below of @jimbob2911 2.5 boxster that has one of the best by-pass mods I've heard fitted to it. Fast forward the second one to the end to hear the 2.5 and my 3.2 mods

• 1 month later...

Archived