HAAS CoilPacks, Any Good?

Tom163

Hey all,

I am doing some general work and I was thinking of replacing the plugs, tubes & coil packs due to the length of time they have been in the car. EuroCarParts have an offer on at the minute which makes the price very attractive but the coil packs manufacturer is HAAS. I was just wondering if anyone else had these in or used to have these? 

They are about £20 cheaper each pack than the Bosch alternatives but I don't want to waste money on packs that will make the car run worse.

Regards. 

47 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Beru (which make the Porsche packs) are £25 each on offer throughout ecp at the moment.

22 minutes ago, chrislloyd412 said:

I also fitted the original Beru coil packs just recently and the car runs great.

Coil Pack  986.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks for that the price difference is still significant even with the discount codes between the two, were the Beru ones are £155 for 6 the HAAS ones are only £85. I am not intending to be cheap but I am ordering alot more parts than just these and if the HAAS versions will do just as good job at being a coil pack then it would be silly to pay more. I was just looking to hear if there were any stories like keep away from them for one reason or another floating around. 

Regards.

Ah fair enough. I'm only replacing an odd old one in my car so they all match as new style Beru ones. Just picked it up from ECP half hour ago.

Makes sense for you to go the HAAS option if you've got lots of other stuff to pay for. They're still branded and will come with a warranty of sorts the same. 

I do not want to be that guy on the forum that cheaps out on parts for a Porsche and I know how sensitive these engines can be to parts which I why I was checking to be honest. If the parts will do the same job effectively that is fine with me and I will just prepare myself for a possibly shorter life span of the parts. I am not 100% they are needed but as a new owner I think the car has been stored for a year or two so I want to refresh everything really for piece of mind.  

I have searched Google for other forum posts about them but not come back with anything really.....not sure if that is a good or bad thing :lol:

1 hour ago, Tom163 said:

. I am not 100% they are needed but as a new owner I think the car has been stored for a year or two so I want to refresh everything really for piece of mind. 

I would first check they are 100% needed! You could be discarding good for not so good.

What ever you fit will eventually crack, and then break down and fail, so probably no advantage in fitting the more expensive types, unless they do actually last longer ?

Saying that I would probably pay the extra and buy the Beru ones if they did need replacing :)

Thanks all. I am going to do a bit more investigating to make 100% sure these are needed as mentioned above, I was just assuming due to their age they may want replacing but it would be nice if it was just plugs that needs doing.

5 minutes ago, Tom163 said:

Thanks all. I am going to do a bit more investigating to make 100% sure these are needed as mentioned above, I was just assuming due to their age they may want replacing but it would be nice if it was just plugs that needs doing.

A misfire is an obvious symptom of a failed coil pack. Usually happens when water (rain) gets into cracks in the coil pack.  If you inspect them and there are cracks then change them. Otherwise not. Is there any paperwork indicating when they were last changed?

45 minutes ago, Boxob said:

A misfire is an obvious symptom of a failed coil pack. Usually happens when water (rain) gets into cracks in the coil pack.  If you inspect them and there are cracks then change them. Otherwise not. Is there any paperwork indicating when they were last changed?

I don't think there are any missfires, acceleration is nice and smooth I have yet to feel any hesitation. The one thing that was making me think they need doing is a slightly rough idle but I think this is down to the MAF and throttle body needing cleaning (which I will be doing this weekend). The only record I have for the coil packs being changed was back in 2007 by a previous owner.

Whilst they will need to come off if you want to inspect/change the plugs, as above, if they are sound then why change? Careful with the maf / body cleaning and buy a code reader instead of the coils if you intend to do more diy. Enjoy the car... Most smiles per mile ever!☺ 

40 minutes ago, JohnnyUK said:

Whilst they will need to come off if you want to inspect/change the plugs, as above, if they are sound then why change? Careful with the maf / body cleaning and buy a code reader instead of the coils if you intend to do more diy. Enjoy the car... Most smiles per mile ever!☺ 

Thanks for the advice Jonny! Do you recommend any particular fault code readers at all? 

Regards 

It's crazy how some parts prices have increased so much. I've written lots about the TRW suspension arms effectively being twice the price but not that long ago I was buying Beru coilpacks at £21 ish each. With current discount it's still 30% more. 

14 minutes ago, edc said:

It's crazy how some parts prices have increased so much. I've written lots about the TRW suspension arms effectively being twice the price but not that long ago I was buying Beru coilpacks at £21 ish each. With current discount it's still 30% more. 

Have you seen what has happened to the £ in the last few years?

I have just bought 6 BERU coils on ECP as mine will be 20 years old next year and a couple have been cracked for a long time but not causing issues.

Paid just over £25 each

Our European suppliers fix their prices for the year in Jan/Feb, I am dreading the new year based on what has happened to the pound recently. Anyway it might be worthwhile for anyone thinking of major purchases to consider making them this year.

Indeed and I think the Brexit debacle has also affected parts prices. I think it was only 2014 or maybe even 2015 when the Beru coilpacks were £21. 

Archived