Overseas Cars

John Hurworth

Define overseas. Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Brunei (one here), Germany? RHD or LHD? New or 20 years old?

many say dry country cars haven't seen road salt like the UK; but they could have seen more sand. They might have been driven on smooth or potholed roads. Not sure what the maintenance culture is like.

Sometimes cars for other markets are built to a slightly different spec. 

Upside: Road-trip home B)

Downside: DVLA process, insurance headaches, duty implications if non-EU, LHD*, purchase cost (UK cars seem to be more undervalued than anywhere else?) :(

*LHD isn't ideal, but my 944 S2 Cab was a left-hooker and more of an 'occasion' to drive than any other car I've owned. But as a 'driver' far from ideal.

Good luck if you pull the trigger. Be sure to document the road-trip upside.

Cheers, Baggers.

UK cars are 'C16'. How this differs to cars destined for overseas markets I don't really know. I do know that for other manufacturers who make cars for other markets that as an example the UK cars will have the appropriate chassis and underseal coatings whereas some other market cars may not. Why do MX5s rust to shyate all the time? Not quite the same but why do most of not all GT3s have no underseal which is why many of those owners don't drive them through a UK winter etc.

Dear all, clarification required. Apologies for my poorly directed discussion. 

I had followed two cars that were supposedly bought while overseas on duty by now x forces staff and up for sale. One German origin, the other Cyprus.  The latter was a con sending me to a well known MOD site storage area which fortunately I had worked at and new well so worked out it was a rouse. The other got taken off the selling site so either sold else where or was another con. 

Big Mike had a car for sale imported from Brunei (picked up by Menoporsche), hence the question, even if I'll directed. Sand, heat, cooling system, no records (no rust but then no paint either if sand storms take a hold) etc etc come to mind.

Big Mike thinks all not an issue, it is down to the quality of the car left over at the end of the day. Fair point.

Hence views needed on this topic, and experiences count. Pitfalls and bonuses.

Thanks

John

On 24/09/2017 at 9:21 PM, John Hurworth said:

Big Mike's 986 1997 2.5 tip is up for sale with overseas origins and big spec. UK based for the sale (sorry Terryg did not intend importing myself). 

It is thought to be bad form to comment on a forum members car for sale other than GLWTS so you may get a lack of response.

GLWTP!

I'd refine that and say it's bad form to comment on a car within the For Sale thread itself... not quite so sure about elsewhere.

But otherwise, what could we possibly say when we haven't seen the car? It's not the general theory that matters, it's the actual car itself. Honestly, it's now 20 years old and seems to be functioning OK. My father scrapped his UK Mondeo at 12 years old. Get an inspection done if you wish. My guess is at that age it will have far more age-related problems than origin-related problems. Remember Boxsters are sold as non-runners at £2k. Keep your concerns in proportion :) 

On 24/09/2017 at 9:21 PM, John Hurworth said:

Big Mike's 986 1997 2.5 tip is up for sale with overseas origins and big spec. UK based for the sale (sorry Terryg did not intend importing myself). 

At that age, all that really matters is how it's been treated and it's current condition. For £3700 it sounds like a nice car. I bought a well looked after car and haven't regretted it for a minute. You could buy one for £3k or less, but I doubt it would be in such good condition. At that age, the difference between good and bad cars in terms of first year maintenance is huge if you like your cars to be sorted. A neglected one could cost you thousands, which just isn't worth it on a £3k car. To be honest, I'm not sure what the point of a rough £3k Boxster is, may as well scrap it rather than waste money on it that you'll never get back.

Seems like I have over stepped the mark. Apologies to one and all. Having visited two cars for sale described in excellent condition (The latter I was unable to find a single straight panel), plus attempts by scammers to make me pay for a car that probably did not exist means I am thoroughly disolouisined by the whole process.  People's standards of what is in good condition vary enormously and is very very subjective and has done nothing but waste my time and theirs. Clearly I am looking at the wrong market with the wrong funds.

Sorry to Big Mike if I have affected his sale. That was not my intention. Running scared  comes to mind.

SLK a safer bet.

Regards

John

I don't think you've overstepped any mark, but you might have had optimistic expectations about a 4k Boxster. Yes you can buy one and you can drive one daily, but at 20 years old you have to expect several parts to be near replacement (pace Big Mike), and sadly they aren't always as cheap as Ford prices.  We do try to be honest here so people go in with their eyes open.

Good luck with whatever you get.

On 26/09/2017 at 8:40 PM, John Hurworth said:

Seems like I have over stepped the mark. Apologies to one and all. Having visited two cars for sale described in excellent condition (The latter I was unable to find a single straight panel), plus attempts by scammers to make me pay for a car that probably did not exist means I am thoroughly disolouisined by the whole process.  People's standards of what is in good condition vary enormously and is very very subjective and has done nothing but waste my time and theirs. Clearly I am looking at the wrong market with the wrong funds.

Sorry to Big Mike if I have affected his sale. That was not my intention. Running scared  comes to mind.

SLK a safer bet.

Regards

John

No John that is not what I meant, I was just pointing out that people may not want to comment so you wouldn't get the feedback you need, there is no question of overstepping the mark and I would hate to put you off a Boxster (Mikes or anybodies elses)

On 26/09/2017 at 8:40 PM, John Hurworth said:

SLK a safer bet

Is it though? In the same price range you will get an old car with expensive parts prices, much like the Boxster.

May i add that in general, Boxster owners on here are quite good at maintaining their cars and are not the run of the mill 'boy racer / chav / thrapers / rev chasers' 

You are in effect spending circa 4k on a car capable of 150+ mph. So in question you need a car that is a safe as it is well maintained for not a lot of money at all.

Its a not a lot of money for a lot of car.

Any and every car will have its issues, good owners and bad ones your job is to find one that 'realistically' fits your budget with realistic expectations of its condition, wear and tear for its age.

Generally the members here are a great and knowledgeable bunch so good luck with the hunt and possible purchase :)

7 hours ago, John Hurworth said:

Hmmmmm. Bullet proof engine and no ims is a good start.

The 2.5 has the dual row bearing making it as reliable as any other engine. The Boxster and SLK are quite different cars, so if you're seriously considering a SLK, then maybe you were never going to appreciate or value the abilities of the Boxster. Each to their own, enjoy the search for the SLK?

On 9/24/2017 at 2:15 PM, Terryg said:

Why do you want to? Boxsters in the UK are cheap, plentiful. relatively well maintained and right hand drive  what possible advantage could there be in buying overseas?

I'm seconding that. ALL my Porsches were bought in the UK (for a reason). Check out the market on www.mobile.de - choose English. Knackered, non operational Jags are way more expensive than mint oldies driven by a retiring OAP. 

Try paying cash for a car in Italy. Try getting the docs in Spain! But I've heard of deals to be made when you bring a trailer to a Spanish island...

Chris

Great Britain seems to be particularly bad when it comes to devaluing of goods.

Perfectly good items are thrown away because they are no longer fashionable, and this applies in a big way to vehicles. 

I put it down partially to the easy availability of credit and that, borrowing for everything is now the norm. I don't believe that this is quite the same in other countries. I am told that in Germany for example people tend to save for what they want rather than using credit. Perhaps @hs0zfe could comment?

The car industry relies on us moving our cars on as quickly as possible, hence monthly payment plans that get you into a new car every 2 to 3 years. 

The salesmen must be dismayed when I turn up in my nearly 20 year old car that I bought new. 

1 hour ago, topradio said:

Great Britain seems to be particularly bad when it comes to devaluing of goods.

Perfectly good items are thrown away because they are no longer fashionable, and this applies in a big way to vehicles. 

I put it down partially to the easy availability of credit and that, borrowing for everything is now the norm. I don't believe that this is quite the same in other countries. I am told that in Germany for example people tend to save for what they want rather than using credit. Perhaps @hs0zfe could comment?

The car industry relies on us moving our cars on as quickly as possible, hence monthly payment plans that get you into a new car every 2 to 3 years. 

The salesmen must be dismayed when I turn up in my nearly 20 year old car that I bought new. 

Returning to England to live after 26 years has shocked me a little, the "disposable" culture" here is sad. The world we live in has to change, we cannot keep using up resources to make cheap cr*p and the throw it away, the longer we allow it to continue the harder we will be punished eventually.

Here endeth the lesson.

2 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Returning to England to live after 26 years has shocked me a little, the "disposable" culture" here is sad. The world we live in has to change, we cannot keep using up resources to make cheap cr*p and the throw it away, the longer we allow it to continue the harder we will be punished eventually.

Here endeth the lesson.

I’ve had expensive consumer electronic items go wrong and found the quote for repair was more than the latest replacement model.  This was disappointing as I was quite happy with the original item but not happy enough to forgo a later product with new features for less than the price of a repair!

I spent 3 grand on a 2.5 yes it's had the same spent on it so far to get it somewhere right so not great.. but.

No depreciation and it's a Porsche and looks smart as seen in Classic and Sports car mag this month

Either way it costs you

P

1 minute ago, rowbos said:

I’ve had expensive consumer electronic items go wrong and found the quote for repair was more than the latest replacement model.  This was disappointing as I was quite happy with the original item but not happy enough to forgo a later product with new features for less than the price of a repair!

That makes sense from your perspective.I was referring to stuff being disposed of for no good reason, I have seen a lot of stuff in skips etc that could have been given to a charity shop. Also food wastage here is horrific.

I am no saint, but I do recycle where possible, I do take stuff to charity shops and I don't waste food.

Unfortunately the cost of labour to repair things now outweighs the price of replacing them (Or very often that's the case) and that's assuming that you can get the parts, which often you can't. 

I owned a Hotpoint washing machine for about 20 years. In that time I changed the motor, bearing, timer (but never the belt!) Until I was told we were having a new one that lasted 3 years. 

I console myself a little that our recycleing system is now meant to be so efficient that most of the materials get reused, at least I hope they are. 

Archived