987S Black Edition - initial impressions & feedback

RBD914 v2

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Had a good run out to Drumlanrig Castle today - see photos in Photography thread, and the car continues to deliver great smiles per mile!

The steering is definitely sharper and has more feeling than the 981, surprisingly the performance is almost as quick as the GTS, I believe the Black Edition is tweeked over the standard 987 S, is that right?

Anyway, the PDK box also has a lot to do with it as it makes the performance so much more accessible and seamless. Love the way I can concentrate on my steering inputs with both hands on the wheel at all times as I barrel along the Dalveen Pass at breathtaking speeds. Just a flick of the paddles and she is a delight to drive, just so balanced in the bends and devasting on the straights - very addictive and nothing came past me yesterday!

I really must organise a forum run around the Borders...anyone interested?

These are the Passes:-

Border Roads

These are the Castles:-

Drumlanrig Castle Run

Happy to lead a run out for those close enough to make a day of it before Winter closes in!

Wow...I wish...but just a smidge  too far :(

Looks a great run.

As far as the Black edition goes I’m pretty sure the 981 black edition doesn’t involve a performance bump so i assume the 987 version wouldn’t either, I suspect it’s mostly down to the PDK.

I’m glad you are enjoying the PDK, it does offer a whole host of advantages, keeping hands on the wheels is a big one. I always use mine in manual mode when out on a spirited drive, but compaired to manual it means you just use the gearbox more so are more inclined to be in the best gear, there are many occasions where a 100yd stretch of road might want a quick change down to 2nd then back to 3rd that in a manual you would just stay in 3rd.  I have found many a time when out chasing the weekend Strines crowd that accelerating out of a slow corner I only slowly gain on the car in front then suddenly I seem to have closed the gap, this is obviously the manual vs Pdk gear change (I usually try to leave a good gap to the car in front)

2 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I have found many a time when out chasing the weekend Strines crowd that accelerating out of a slow corner I only slowly gain on the car in front then suddenly I seem to have closed the gap, this is obviously because @Terryg is in my way

Corrected for you Wayne. ;)

Cheers, Baggers.

Black Editoion engine is same as 987 Spyder I think so a small power increase and is the same basic engine as in the 981 anyway. 

1 minute ago, edc said:

Black Editoion engine is same as 987 Spyder I think so a small power increase and is the same basic engine as in the 981 anyway. 

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/porsche/porsche-boxster-s-black-edition-2011-at-2011-geneva-motor-show/

Yep...

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

I stand corrected, it looks like the 987 Black edition essentially has the 981 S engine (which given this was just before the 981 was produced is no great suprise]

2 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Too right!! 

I apologise in advance for not keeping up... you fast guys just tell me where to stop for coffee?

Ok guys - I'll start a new thread in the BoXa "Meets & Events" section!

Rob

5 hours ago, Kilham5 said:

You lucky blighter.

The roads round here in East & North Yorkshire are nice, but the border roads are something again.

I used to drive to Edinburgh regularly, and the A701 to and from the M74 at Moffat was my route of choice.

Yep, that would be the "Devil's Beeftub" road leading out of Moffat up to the source of the River Tweed and runs for 50 twisty, speed camera and police-free miles to Ediburgh, a superb drivers road that I drive most days on two wheels or four!

I guess you could say I'm spoiled for choice around here...!

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-places/scottish-fact-of-the-week-the-devil-s-beef-tub-1-3532882

This is the actual road....

Devil's BeeftubDevil's BeeftubDevil's Beeftub

Rob

Archived