987S Black Edition - initial impressions & feedback

RBD914 v2

After running a 981 GTS for two years and 12,000 miles, I recently swapped it for a 987S B/E in order to release some equity for other projects.

Having now driven it over 600 miles, it's interesting to compare the two cars, especially as this is a PDK car vs my manual GTS.

Without wishing to favour one over the other, my observations are:-

1. The 981 is a more modern, refined drive, as you would expect. Conversely this modernisation has designed out some of the raw appeal that the 987 has.

2. The suspension and ride of the 981 is plusher and better damped. The 987 is a harder ride and the steering wheel shimmies slightly in your hands.

3. The 987 feels more agile and chuck-able on a twisty road, more so than the heavier and wider feeling 981.

4. The 981 is quieter at motorway speeds as the hood is better fitted and insulated than the 987.

5. Aesthetically the 981 looks wider and meaner, whilst the 987 looks more slender and purer in shape somehow. For instance the 987 front wings have a clean arc, whilst the 981 has a half inch insert in the wings, spoiling their natural arc. However the 981 hood design beats the 987 pram-like canopy hands down!

6. There is more legroom width in the 987 due to the absence of a large centre console.

7. Switchgear, dials and Sat Nav are all superior in the 981, as is the auto remote  hood operation via the key.

8. PDK is a personal preference, however despite being an advocate of the manual gearbox, the PDK had won me over! Great in town and simply devastating when used in anger! Makes overtakes so "laugh out loud" easy, flappy paddles are a dream to use and you can definitely make faster progress in a PDK equipped car.

9. Brakes lack servo assistance in the 987.

10. PSE in the 981 GTS is much louder and has more pops and bangs on the overrun than the 987 PSE.

So there you have it, in many respects the 981 is a better car, as you would expect a more modern design to be. However the 987 is still a great car,  I personally find it easier to wring the 987's  neck and place it accurately on the road, as its handling feels nimbler. The 981 however, is undoubtedly the posher of the two cars though.

If I could have both, I would use the 981 GTS for runs out with the wife, touring Europe and for posing in, and a 987S for blasting around the back roads without a care in the world!

Overall, I am happy with my decision and look forward to getting more use out of my new steed blasting around the deserted Scottish Border roads!

Hope my musings are of interest to others!

Interesting indeed. Sounds similar to somebody comparing a 987S to a 986S, the newer is posher, more refined, better insulated, softer etc. But for those UK local B-road blasts, the older car is the more involving care free chuckable vehicle. 

8 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Ouch! :D 

I know, I know...sorry! But seeing all the skeletal type ribs straining against the outline of the fabric hood of the 987 does kinda spoil the effect somewhat doesn't it?

The solid and smooth front section of the 981 roof together with the more sloping rear window area, is far more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes!

But hey, most of the time the roof is down anyway - so who cares! ?

So after a spirited top down run out in the sun yesterday, I pull over and park up in a little village for a coffee. The car is glinting in the sunshine and gently pinging as it cools down, you can literally smell the heat of the warm polish and tyres....

This guy and his young son comes over and says "Lovely new Porsche you've got there mate, must be brand new as it's still got that new car look and smell!"

He couldn't believe it when I explained that whilst yes, it was technically a new car to me as I had just bought it the day before, however it was in fact over 6 years old.

Those comments certainly made me feel good about my new steed!

Priceless!

Next week it's going in for a full "detail" after which it will really pop!

11 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

So after a spirited top down run out in the sun yesterday, I pull over and park up in a little village for a coffee. The car is glinting in the sunshine and gently pinging as it cools down, you can literally smell the heat of the warm polish and tyres....

This guy and his young son comes over and says "Lovely new Porsche you've got there mate, must be brand new as it's still got that new car look and smell!"

He couldn't believe it when I explained that whilst yes, it was technically a new car to me as I had just bought it the day before, however it was in fact over 6 years old.

Those comments certainly made me feel good about my new steed!

Priceless!

Next week it's going in for a full "detail" after which it will really pop!

I’ve had similar comments about my (much older) 987.1 in the past.  A combination of immaculately clean and polished with the timeless design... brings a smile to your face and the look of disbelief on their faces when you explain how old the car is - as you say, priceless.  

People really can't believe that my 986 will be 20 years old next August.

The difference between the two cars is immense. I took the older one out last week and initially thought 'this is a little agricultural now' however later in the drive with the roof down and the sun shining I really got into it and started to enjoy the more involved drive. 

Mrs Radio doesn't particularly like driving the 986 because, she says you have to be in the mood to really drive it. Whereas she will happily drive the 981 any day of the week in any weather. 

Good to hear you are enjoying the 987.

I suspect your point (3) is biased by point (5) as in fact the two are the same width and in fact the 981 is the lighter car, especially in your case as the PDK adds around 40(?) kg. But given you had the most hardcore 981 (spider excepted) and still feel the 987 is more hardcore it's clear the way Porsche is going, by all acccounts the 986 is another step in that direction.

Interesting observations. You should perhaps try a sorted 986. The thing with the 981 and 987.2 is that they are both still new enough that none of the parts have deteriorated detracting from the experience or capability. The same can't be said for the 986. There are plenty of worn out ones out there. Of course the roads and use you put the car in action to make a big difference as you note. If the car is a daily then generally the newer the better.

3 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Seeing all the skeletal type ribs straining against the outline of the fabric hood of the 987 does kinda spoil the effect somewhat doesn't it?

The solid and smooth front section of the 981 roof together with the more sloping rear window area, is far more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes!

But hey, most of the time the roof is down anyway - so who cares! ?

I agree with all three points! We can discuss several points of comparison, but the roof mech in the 981 is a major step forward. (No manual front clasp! No clamshell!)

Just remember it has a magnesium roof panel, so 981 drivers, in the event of a fire starting - get out!

21 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Hope my musings are of interest to others

Absolutely so please keep them coming, I'm fascinated by the comparison.

im glad PDK has won you over, I don't feel like a leper anymore :D

ive recently test driven a 991 and a 997.2 and its clear to me that the rawness gets less with each new generation, I now have an. Inkling the GT cars are probably the same as a 996 from yesteryear!

Great to read your post and pleased that your new pride and joy will still deliver smiles per mile. I can't comment on the comparisons as I've only owned the the 981, but I can agree about the PDK box and the chuckles I have (to myself) combined with the PSE

Really good write up Rob - I've never driven a 981, but you've confirmed basically all that I'd imagined.

As for the looks of "new" - also had that, even though mine is 11 years old and no-where near as special looking your .2 black edition.

The only thing I would like is a more modern infotainment - PCM 2.1 in mine is so dated now (especially since our M140i with Pro Media has arrived!).. Is PCM 3 in yours OK?  I've seen the various android upgrades, or aftermarket head units, but it just seems a big hassle since I've got Bose too

11 hours ago, Withy said:

Really good write up Rob - I've never driven a 981, but you've confirmed basically all that I'd imagined.

As for the looks of "new" - also had that, even though mine is 11 years old and no-where near as special looking your .2 black edition.

The only thing I would like is a more modern infotainment - PCM 2.1 in mine is so dated now (especially since our M140i with Pro Media has arrived!).. Is PCM 3 in yours OK?  I've seen the various android upgrades, or aftermarket head units, but it just seems a big hassle since I've got Bose too

PCM 3 is not that great either! It doesn't accept full postcodes and did not recognise my home address despite me having lived here for 15 years!

Time to install a Tom Tom portable dash top unit for any long trips methinks!

Pleased with the Bose though, much better than standard, miss my DAB radio though. Are there any aftermarket DAB systems that are easy to install?

Also miss the facility to play music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, I have to plug it in now, but at least that way it charges the phone rather than flattens the battery -  every cloud and all that!

Need to take some pictures once the car has been detailed next week.

Good series of observations. I can only dream of a 981, but I've got my sights on a 987 so it's nice to read they still have their strengths even now. Have to agree with their timeless shape too - viewed an immaculate one today and there's no way it looks 12 years old. Soon my pretty, soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good run out to Drumlanrig Castle today - see photos in Photography thread, and the car continues to deliver great smiles per mile!

The steering is definitely sharper and has more feeling than the 981, surprisingly the performance is almost as quick as the GTS, I believe the Black Edition is tweeked over the standard 987 S, is that right?

Anyway, the PDK box also has a lot to do with it as it makes the performance so much more accessible and seamless. Love the way I can concentrate on my steering inputs with both hands on the wheel at all times as I barrel along the Dalveen Pass at breathtaking speeds. Just a flick of the paddles and she is a delight to drive, just so balanced in the bends and devasting on the straights - very addictive and nothing came past me yesterday!

I really must organise a forum run around the Borders...anyone interested?

These are the Passes:-

Border Roads

These are the Castles:-

Drumlanrig Castle Run

Happy to lead a run out for those close enough to make a day of it before Winter closes in!

7 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I really must organise a forum run around the Borders...anyone interested?

Border Roads

Yes please.

@Loz987 is in, too.

Cheers, Baggers.

43 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Awesome isn't it, and it is literally 5 minutes from my front door!

You lucky blighter.

The roads round here in East & North Yorkshire are nice, but the border roads are something again.

I used to drive to Edinburgh regularly, and the A701 to and from the M74 at Moffat was my route of choice.

Archived