Another disappointing car 981S

bandit_287

I’ve been on the hunt for a 981S for a while now, I’m in no rush but if the right car comes along then I’m keen to do a deal, a car came on the market at a very respected dealership so put a holding deposit on it with a view to do a deal if both parties were happy. I took the two and a half hour drive to see the car yesterday and was looking forward to shaking hands on the deal after finally finding the right car with the spec I wanted. Said car was 2013 with 13,000 miles on the clock, FPSH and two owners so I was expecting a minter.

Unfortunately it wasn’t at all, first thing I noticed were two huge stone chips on the bonnet exposing the white primer, secondly the PSE actuators had seized up so it wasn’t switching, thirdly there was lots of wind noise from the drivers door glass with the hood up, the steering wheel was all to c*ck when driven in a straight line, the drivers side door panel wasn’t fitted correctly and hanging off(someone had obviously been in there and done an amateur job at something) three of the Pirelli P Zero tyres were severely cracked, the stainless tailpipes were all corroded, it’d been reported that the tyres needed replacing in a PPI and two lower suspension bushes needed replacement. All this in a 13,000 mile car with two owners and just under four years old! These are only the things I noticed in an hour, I’m sure there will be a few other issues with it so I expressed my disappointment to the salesman and told him the deals off. 

Weve all been to see cars falsely advertised I’m sure but with a marque such as this at a respectable dealership with some very serious metal for sale I can’t quite understand why these issues weren’t highlighted and fixed prior to my visit, they’ve had eight days from me leaving the deposit to go through the car and sort the issues. Some of the things they might not have noticed but I’m no tech and noticed all the above pretty swiftly. This car was up for top dollar too. 

Anyhow if anybody knows of a low mileage, black 981S with PSE, PDLS, PDK with Sports design wheel, heated seats and a decent sound system let me know. 

Paul. 

Sometimes going for older low milers can be more of a problem than average/higher milers. suspension rubbers dry up from not flexing, exhaust valves seize from no use. With 13k miles the tyres are probably the factory originals so likely to be cracked as we know the older Pirellis do (see other threads) I'd imagine the inside of the brake discs would be pretty well corroded too

It seems since the new 4 pot has come out the market for the 981S has shrunk massively as I've been keeping an eye on it for similar spec to you. Good luck with your search.

I think the stone chips are inevitable on these cars if they have been driven on a motorway etc.

Not sure what top dollar means but they look as if they start at £30k ish for a manual with not much spec upto a lovely looking 981S in black at £56k with more spec than you can shake a stick at.

My car was immaculate when I bought it and I mean immaculate. Within 6 months of normal driving it had a few chips on the front and a fair bit of gravel rash around the rear vents and bottom of rear bumper. This could just be because its running 20's, but morale of the story is that I wouldnt let stone chips worry you. Unless you are going to invest 3k into covering car with protective film this sort of car (big wheels, big arches, low nose) is a stone magnet.

All the rest of things you mention though sound hideous :D

Good luck with the search 

Stone chips and gravel rash are inevitable however if I was selling a car and someone had put a deposit down on it to do a deal I would have touched them in, they were huge, two about the size of a pea exposing white primer on a black car right in the middle of the bonnet. Car wasn’t for me that’s for sure. 

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

I’m going to wait for a Porsche approved car, that way if I travel miles to see it it’ll be in top condition and I’ll get a two year warranty albeit at a premium. 

...just dont go to Edinburgh for it then ;)

Like Leonard My 981s was also immaculate when I bought with 8k miles and 15 months old, but now @ 15k and 30 Months there are a number of Chips in particular ahead of the rear wheels (I don't know how OPCs get them looking so good?).  

I don't think the exhaust issue is anything you are likely to avoid, without cleaning on every trip its soon going to be carbonised and pitted, I'm quite partial to the naturally carbonised look in fact.

i agree with CMA, sometimes a low mileage creates more issues than advantages. The PSE is activated every time the car is started whether selected or not so to be seized suggests the car may have been layed up for an extended period.

The steering wheel alignment suggests a kerbing at the front and no realignment done.  The door/seal issues arent something I have heard about and suggest something not right here, sounds like one to avoid.  Very frustrating when you travel a good distance to view though.

I disagree Greenman, I had the PSE retro fitted to my car 18months ago and with regular washing since the tail pipes still look like brand new. Stone chips and gravel rash are bound to happen I know but not the size of them on that car. Maybe the car has been laid up as it was a demo initially and the last owner for nearly four years so you’re probably right about the PSE actuators seized because of lack of use. The car certainly wasn’t what I expected, it should have been a minter but with what I saw It was in no way for me. My 987.2 is in absolutely perfect condition with zero issues so I’ll hang onto that until a Porsche approved vehicle comes along. 

So it started life as a 'demo' car.

Has anybody actually been offered a car that was first used at the PEC?

I don't care what is said about the car being made for it, day after day of being soundly thrashed around a circuit has to take its toll. And what about all those press cars? They will be described as demo cars as well. 

When we were looking for a Mini the dealer had an ex-demo for sale. I took a look at the underside and it looked like it had taken part in the Paris Dakar rally. 

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

so you’re probably right about the PSE actuators seized because of lack of use. 

I had my PSE replaced (the back portions on both sides which have the flaps in them) at around 32000 miles and 3 and a half years, but not from lack of use ;)

My theory is people are holding onto their 981S for longer than the historic norm. One may come along tomorrow, or you might have to compromise on condition or equipment.

I bought mine at nearly 4 years old and 30k miles and had to compromise with Basalt swirltastic and stone chipped paintwork against a great spec. All fixable though.

Getting the compromise balance right on these increasingly rare cars is a PITA.    

3 hours ago, Cabby said:

My theory is people are holding onto their 981S for longer than the historic norm. One may come along tomorrow, or you might have to compromise on condition or equipment.

I bought mine at nearly 4 years old and 30k miles and had to compromise with Basalt swirltastic and stone chipped paintwork against a great spec. All fixable though.

Getting the compromise balance right on these increasingly rare cars is a PITA.    

I think the best examples of all 3 pre 718 models will be increasingly sought after in light of the path Porsche is now taking and the automotive industry in general. The current interpretation is the first generation of Boxster I have no interest in owning from new or used

The asking prices on these now are making me smile!

The pse valves seizing seems to be quite common. Is it from lack of use or will it happen regardless?

You should add pasm to your requirements, they look and ride better than those without, more important than the headlights imho.

@bandit_287 - It's with deep regret I even write this, but I may be selling mine in the very near future (like in the next week or so potential house purchase and all that jazz).

Not advertised as yet, but if you're looking for the following, let me know.....

12 plate -  981 Boxster S  -  33k miles - Agate Grey - Black hood and interior - 20" Carrera Classics - Sports Seats - Sports Chrono - PSE - Bose - Sports Design Steering Wheel -  Sat Nav - Almost new tyres - FPSH - Major service 2016 - AND - recent 111 point check and 22 months Porsche warranty....oh and Zunsports and boot liner! :) Well looked after and in excellent condition.    

Bloody hell, that's a great spec if I do say so myself!

PM me if you're interested.

I'm off to dry my eyes.....  :( :crying_anim02:

20 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

all this after i purchase a defnder to build up my 981 dream ........... unless you want a defender and 987 ;):D:wub:

You could always ask on the forum if someone will lend you the money - apparently that works a treat!  :D

22 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

all this after i purchase a defnder to build up my 981 dream ........... unless you want a defender and 987 ;):D:wub:

Hey you might have something there.  New house. Need appropriate vehicle to lug stuff around in. Maybe drive in muddy conditions etc.   And a two seater ragtop for when you have to get away from it all...?

The car you went to see clearly had a number of issues. Did you ask if they would resolve and fix the problems. My experience is that many dealers will leave the car as found until they have a buyer and then see how observant the buyer is. They normally step up and fix everything if prompted................. If not no deal.

From a business point of view it makes sense. 

I guess you are holding off until you find a pristine/no defects one so you probably will not find one like that at a non OPC.

10 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

@bandit_287 - It's with deep regret I even write this, but I may be selling mine in the very near future (like in the next week or so potential house purchase and all that jazz).

Not advertised as yet, but if you're looking for the following, let me know.....

12 plate -  981 Boxster S  -  33k miles - Agate Grey - Black hood and interior - 20" Carrera Classics - Sports Seats - Sports Chrono - PSE - Bose - Sports Design Steering Wheel -  Sat Nav - Almost new tyres - FPSH - Major service 2016 - AND - recent 111 point check and 22 months Porsche warranty....oh and Zunsports and boot liner! :) Well looked after and in excellent condition.    

Bloody hell, that's a great spec if I do say so myself!

PM me if you're interested.

I'm off to dry my eyes.....  :( :crying_anim02:

Thanks for the offer but it has to be a black one. 

1 hour ago, Toeside said:

The car you went to see clearly had a number of issues. Did you ask if they would resolve and fix the problems. My experience is that many dealers will leave the car as found until they have a buyer and then see how observant the buyer is. They normally step up and fix everything if prompted................. If not no deal.

From a business point of view it makes sense. 

I guess you are holding off until you find a pristine/no defects one so you probably will not find one like that at a non OPC.

A car with that low mileage with only two owners and a FPSH should not have had that many issues if it’d been looked after. The fact that i noticed them in such a short period of time suggests it’s been neglected so I’m sure many other problems will manifest them self soon. That cars not for me. 

Archived