Another disappointing car 981S

bandit_287

On 30/09/2017 at 2:33 PM, bandit_287 said:

I’m going to wait for a Porsche approved car, that way if I travel miles to see it it’ll be in top condition and I’ll get a two year warranty albeit at a premium. 

If you read getting one from OPC, call your local and tell them you are ready and waiting. They'll call their customer base that matches your description and see if anyone is selling.

On 10/1/2017 at 7:42 PM, Billzeebub said:

I think the best examples of all 3 pre 718 models will be increasingly sought after in light of the path Porsche is now taking and the automotive industry in general. The current interpretation is the first generation of Boxster I have no interest in owning from new or used

I guess its easy to jump on the 718 hater wagon but can I - politely - ask if anyone here has driven one.. thanks.  I'm beginning to think that if the 718 isnt well liked it might be a bargain used.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I guess its easy to jump on the 718 hater wagon but can I - politely - ask if anyone here has driven one.. thanks.  I'm beginning to think that if the 718 isnt well liked it might be a bargain used.

Resist, resist, I must resist.....!

4 hours ago, ATM said:

It is a BRILLIANT car. Everything about it is one step on from the 981 bar one thing..

The engine..

Now dont get me wrong the engine shows the usual delightful Porsche design and engineering and is an impressive package. But I think it is fair to say that  for most people looking at purchasing an open top sports car it is missing at least 2 cylinders :) For some however this wont matter at all and they will appreciate the increased torque and usability and have the perfect car. For others though (and I would say the majority of enthusiasts, the type that frequent Pistonheads et al) the power delivery and noise of the engine will always grate a little and stop it from being the car that it could be.

7 hours ago, ATM said:

Yes I’ve driven them, and they are great, they certainly beat the 981 in a couple of areas and for many the new engine may be preferable it certainly gives the impression of being much quicker, in the way that turbo cars always do with their low end torque. But having driven the 718 and 981 I opted for the more engaging (to me) experience of the 981.

Oh dear you are just asking 981 owners to chip in and 718 owners to keep quiet and I don't blame them.

Only you can decide and if you have no particular issue with how a forced induction drives compared to a normally asperated car then the choice is probably easier for you to make.

To me it's nothing to do with the 718 as I prefer any great na engine over a turbo power delivery and sound, so I'm making the most of it whilst I can. To me Porsche have had to force (pun intended) the turbo noise as they are usually muted compared to na but it just sounds rough in comparisob. It helps (or not depending on your view) that the final 6 cylinder engine was such a cracker and truley the end of an era just as the 993 varioram was.

The 718 will hopefully be the start of a new evolution but I fear that will too quickly move to hybrid power and the 4 cylinder turbo engine will be left in no man's land, who knows, drive what you enjoy why you can ;-) 

23 hours ago, ATM said:

yep I've driven one and its comparable to the 981 except the engine note is not as nice...oh and I dont like the rear end either :)

19 hours ago, Jonttt said:

I don't mind the rear end of the 718 but it looks better close up e.g. in the showroom, than it does from a distance ie on the road.

I think I may just prefer it over the 981 rear. Probably date quicker. But definitely looks sharp and of its time now

Yeh I like the 718 rear, but not sure I prefer it to the 981 as you lose that line that goes through the lights,  both are very nice IMO. The slightly more aggressive nose I prefer on the 718. The only cosmetic point I don’t like is the too prominent side intakes, it spoils the line on the side for me.

On 10/27/2017 at 5:22 PM, Leonard said:

It is a BRILLIANT car. Everything about it is one step on from the 981 bar one thing..

The engine..

Now dont get me wrong the engine shows the usual delightful Porsche design and engineering and is an impressive package. But I think it is fair to say that  for most people looking at purchasing an open top sports car it is missing at least 2 cylinders :) For some however this wont matter at all and they will appreciate the increased torque and usability and have the perfect car. For others though (and I would say the majority of enthusiasts, the type that frequent Pistonheads et al) the power delivery and noise of the engine will always grate a little and stop it from being the car that it could be.

What Leonard says!

I nearly signed up for one. The car is extremely capable and the delivery of torque at low revs makes it very easy to drive fast.

The flat 6 had me at 4000 rpm :wub:                                Take that away the 718 is an exceptional car

On 3 October 2017 at 9:35 PM, Simo_UK said:

@bandit_287 - It's with deep regret I even write this, but I may be selling mine in the very near future (like in the next week or so potential house purchase and all that jazz).

Not advertised as yet, but if you're looking for the following, let me know.....

12 plate -  981 Boxster S  -  33k miles - Agate Grey - Black hood and interior - 20" Carrera Classics - Sports Seats - Sports Chrono - PSE - Bose - Sports Design Steering Wheel -  Sat Nav - Almost new tyres - FPSH - Major service 2016 - AND - recent 111 point check and 22 months Porsche warranty....oh and Zunsports and boot liner! :) Well looked after and in excellent condition.    

Bloody hell, that's a great spec if I do say so myself!

PM me if you're interested.

I'm off to dry my eyes.....  :( :crying_anim02:

Have you offered this for sale yet....?

Archived