Stärke Speedster - Retro Revolution or Just Plain Wrong?

Boxstachimp

Stumbled across this article about a US company about to launch a business offering to rebody 986/987 Boxsters as retro inspired 356 Speedsters. 

http://www.p9xx.com/index.php/2017/06/02/starke-speedster-reveals-plans-for-986987-based-357/

Official website https://starkespeedster.com/

"If you’re thinking this car reminds you of that Boxster-based 356 build West Coast Customs did recently for Justin Bieber, you’re not the only one."

Aaahm ooooooot! :who-let-rip:

I don't get it. In the 80s one would build a kit car because the donor would have decent mechanics but the body rusted away. Here they're sourcing 15-20 year old cars with possibly good bodies (crash excepted) but by now quite tired mechanicals, so many of them would need to be renewed as well? Seems a bit whimsical to me.

43 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't get it. In the 80s one would build a kit car because the donor would have decent mechanics but the body rusted away. Here they're sourcing 15-20 year old cars with possibly good bodies (crash excepted) but by now quite tired mechanicals, so many of them would need to be renewed as well? Seems a bit whimsical to me.

Hmmm sort of fair point but the VW mechanics were only okay because the car was so slow that any  deficiencies never really showed up. Also the premise on a lot of 80's kit cars was to achieve good looks on a budget (never happened of course it always either looked cr*p or cost fortune, frequently both). Nowadays these types of transformations are not aimed at paupers and I have to say I really like the idea, classic looks with modern performance, whether the reality lives up to the billing remains to be seen. 

21 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Hmmm sort of fair point but the VW mechanics were only okay because the car was so slow that any  deficiencies never really showed up. Also the premise on a lot of 80's kit cars was to achieve good looks on a budget (never happened of course it always either looked cr*p or cost fortune, frequently both). Nowadays these types of transformations are not aimed at paupers and I have to say I really like the idea, classic looks with modern performance, whether the reality lives up to the billing remains to be seen. 

yep :)

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/you-want-porsche-p904-carrera

081BA043-465D-42A3-9C6E-13CFD6E98505.jpg87F9413C-F306-4C85-8791-1369AC08BE4A_0.j

If BMW can update, modernise and enlarge the Mini and Fiat the 500 why not other companies with other cars including the 356? Both the above cars are pleasing on the eye but neither will deliver the character of the original - just like the Mini and Fiat 500.  That said buyer of these cars will not want the character of the originals.

Ive had Chesil and a real speedster, both good in there own way, but very slow, and dont handle particulary well unless race preped, I can see the appeal of this car, the "Outlaw" version is very nice and I would love to have a drive, Im sure it looks awesome in the flesh, but a speedster replica its not, which I think they admit on the blurb.

21 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Re-bodies are becoming more popular due to the regulations you have to pass to get a normal kit car through to get it registered, all the IVA points that have to be met plus the £500ish fee and retest fees make normal kit cars a lot less attractive than just throwing a fibre glass body on an already registered and road legal car. There were a few Boxster re-bodies at the Stoneleigh kit car show this year. Plus the usual Ferrari MR2 and Peugeot re-bodies

9 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Both gorgeously lavish in there retro immersion.

where do I sign? 

Make out a cheque for £50k to Terry Guilford and sign the bottom, no need to post it I'll pick it up. I am that Nigerian prince.

Archived