Heavy condensation

Happy Days

With the recent change in the weather, my front screen is suffering from terrible condensation. From memory, it didn't last year, but maybe it was all shiny and new then and I didn't notice. My 986 suffered from this, but I'd have thought the 718 would be completely different.

Anyone else getting this?

@Happy Days I went through a similar thought process (although on a 981S).

Convinced myself it was the ‘atmospherics’ design of the screen etc etc...or maybe poor air con.... or that I was imagining it...

In my case the heavy windscreen condensation was due to the car being damp inside. (Low miles - approved OPC used car etc). 

I couldn’t find it initially - somehow missed that (in my case) the 981 rear drain tubes (run either side of roll bar down) had come apart / dislodged. The floor was deep in water (under the carpet). It damaged many things.

Page 6 has details & images:

Id be temped to reel out the seat belts / just check they aren’t damp - I think @Simo_UK had that as a tell tale sign on a 981.

Hopefully it’s less dramatic than all of that - just wanted to give a heads up as a worse case scenario - I’d be very tempted to get it back to an OPC for a check whilst it’s warrantied etc.

I think all soft-top convertibles are susceptible, to a greater or lesser extent,  regardlss of age. Ive always kept drain holes clear and never had any wet carpets but have still noticed it from time to time. I leave one of those de-humidifier bags behind each seat and it seems to stop it from happening. 

Ok, so I reeled out the belts and they're dry. The floor feels dry as well, but there hasn't been that much rain here over the past few days. This morning there was no condensation at all (I had a decent road trip yesterday roofless, so any water that had been taken in on foot would be gone by now). I'll keep an eye on it.

On Andy's thread (which I read) there was a guy who made up a compressed air blaster - I wonder if a power hose could do something similar?

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Happy Days said:

Ok, so I reeled out the belts and they're dry. The floor feels dry as well, but there hasn't been that much rain here over the past few days. This morning there was no condensation at all (I had a decent road trip yesterday roofless, so any water that had been taken in on foot would be gone by now). I'll keep an eye on it.

On Andy's thread (which I read) there was a guy who made up a compressed air blaster - I wonder if a power hose could do something similar?

Glad to hear all is well.  I'd be REALLY surprised if were the drain holes on a car of your age.  On the 981 at least, they're more like drain funnels, and it took 4 years for mine to get clogged up.  Still, always good to check, and hopig they fixed this flaw in the 718!

Hopefully just the ambient water vapour in the air.  One of those moisture removers ill do - saw them in B&Q this weekend too, easily stashable under the seat out of the way

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2017 at 12:10 PM, Happy Days said:

With the recent change in the weather, my front screen is suffering from terrible condensation. From memory, it didn't last year, but maybe it was all shiny and new then and I didn't notice. My 986 suffered from this, but I'd have thought the 718 would be completely different.

Anyone else getting this?

Yes. I've had a couple of times in the last few weeks where water was running down the inside of the screen. My car is three months old. It seems to have stopped in the last couple of days...

• 1 month later...

Can I bump this thread up a bit?

Until the Westie goes and the garage is clear, the 987 is sitting in the total shade at the front of the house.

I have noticed what I would describe as heavy condensation on the inside of the windows, even ice this morning.

But I have never had a soft top before and don't know if this is 'normal' or not.

I've just tested the carpets with a timber 'damp o meter' and only got 15% so am happy the carpets in the foot wells aren't wet.

So it is 'normal' for a Boxster to have an incontinent front screen? Or do I start running about panicking? 

1 hour ago, John K said:

Can I bump this thread up a bit?

Until the Westie goes and the garage is clear, the 987 is sitting in the total shade at the front of the house.

I have noticed what I would describe as heavy condensation on the inside of the windows, even ice this morning.

But I have never had a soft top before and don't know if this is 'normal' or not.

I've just tested the carpets with a timber 'damp o meter' and only got 15% so am happy the carpets in the foot wells aren't wet.

So it is 'normal' for a Boxster to have an incontinent front screen? Or do I start running about panicking? 

yes . its normal.. get some demister bags of amazon or  ebay they work a treat and are reusable 

I have been using the McCann this week as I've been doing a fair old amount of mileage. Wife has been using the Boxster and complained strongly about the condensation last night saying it took 9 minutes for the front screen to clear. She's insisting that I contact the  OPC and ask them to check it out.

Archived