Getting in when frosty

Chipps

My Boxster lives outside and we get some cold mornings in Yorkshire. I’ve had a couple of mornings where the car’s been iced up and I can’t get in. The window won’t drop to get the door open  

If I’m at home, I get some warm water on the window seals, but what if I’m out and about. Any tips? Or do I just keep a can of de-icer in the boot? (Assuming that will always open…)

15 minutes ago, Chipps said:

My Boxster lives outside and we get some cold mornings in Yorkshire. I’ve had a couple of mornings where the car’s been iced up and I can’t get in. The window won’t drop to get the door open  

If I’m at home, I get some warm water on the window seals, but what if I’m out and about. Any tips? Or do I just keep a can of de-icer in the boot? (Assuming that will always open…)

Get some of this on your door seals (and all the other rubber seals on the car...).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege-Rubber-Stick-100ml/dp/B007TNOQDI

I use silicone spray or silicone grease on all rubber parts on my cars, I have a car that has an electric sliding side door that used to stick when frosty, made the motor go mad cos it did'nt know what to do, not had any bother with it and the new one I've got with same set up since using the silicone, but that roll on that the first replier put up looks interesting, not heard of that before!!

I had this and was able to open the door without the window going down, but then it won't close very well. I'm paranoid about burning out the motor though, so would always have some water to melt the ice on the window first (even cold water works, down South at least...)

8 minutes ago, headless said:

I use silicone spray or silicone grease on all rubber parts on my cars, I have a car that has an electric sliding side door that used to stick when frosty, made the motor go mad cos it did'nt know what to do, not had any bother with it and the new one I've got with same set up since using the silicone, but that roll on that the first replier put up looks interesting, not heard of that before!!

Do a quick forum search on all content and you will see discussion on this product - I hadn't used it until recently, it went on easily, was not greasy and made the seals look like new so its a thumbs up from me B)

Great tips, thanks. I wasn’t sure if silicon spray would smear the windows or not. 

Car’s at Revolution today for new door membranes and window actuator, so hopefully there should be less water IN the door from now on, which’ll help. 

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

Get some of this on your door seals (and all the other rubber seals on the car...).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege-Rubber-Stick-100ml/dp/B007TNOQDI

Many thanks - ordered, including one for my son's EOS! (He has been using a very expensive VW product.)

Used it on every rubber part I could find including top and doors. Frunk and Trunk too. Maybe every year. 5 years. No stains, no sticking or squeeking. I swear it renewed the stiffness/dryness on some of the rubber.

Use an old credit card just to scrape the ice from the glass near the seal on the bottom & by thw ing mirror.

Gummi Pfledge stuff will prevent window sticking to the seal but for the door lowering bit you need to 'break the seal' between the ice & rubber where window drops.

Archived