disappointed with 1 thing!!

headless

So had my Boxster for just over 2 weeks now and it's a great car, besides having to put a new battery on, but that's ok, shyate happens, but there's one thing that stands out as a disappointment................the steering wheel............. why is it so big and boring, surely it's as easy and cheap to make a smaller wheel that looks and feels more sporty for a car of this class, or is it just me being picky???

Does anybody agree and has anybody done anything with their wheel or put another one on??  piccies please if you have, cos I'm thinking of doing something but not sure what.

Thanks.

Ellis Aka Headless!!!

ps, it's a tiptronic so has the buttons on the wheel!!!

6 minutes ago, headless said:

So had my Boxster for just over 2 weeks now and it's a great car, besides having to put a new battery on, but that's ok, shyate happens, but there's one thing that stands out as a disappointment................the steering wheel............. why is it so big and boring, surely it's as easy and cheap to make a smaller wheel that looks and feels more sporty for a car of this class, or is it just me being picky???

Does anybody agree and has anybody done anything with their wheel or put another one on??  piccies please if you have, cos I'm thinking of doing something but not sure what.

Thanks.

Ellis Aka Headless!!!

Agreed!   I had mine re-covered and added thumb rests and made thicker - standard is too thin!  It was still a little too big but felt better and looked better.  Will dig out a pic...

Here...

5 minutes ago, headless said:

Thanks.

Ellis Aka Headless!!!

Loads of stuff on here...search for Royal or google Royal steering wheels. Getting mine done in due course.

Rowbos,I see you live in Minehead, we have stayed at Knowle Manor just outside there a few times, great area, we went hacking up that big hill that overlooks Minehead, great view from up there!!!

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

Loads of stuff on here...search for Royal or google Royal steering wheels. Getting mine done in due course.

I've looked at their site but you have to send the wheel to them and they don't give prices anywhere which is always a worry, haha, any idea how much a recover is roughly???

4 minutes ago, headless said:

I see you live in Minehead, we have stayed at Knowle Manor just outside there a few times, great area, we went hacking up that big hill that overlooks Minehead, great view from up there!!!

Yep.  Thanks.

Some great hills and roads around here ?

My cost for Royal was £160 including fitting.  

You can do an exchange or they will cover a wheel for you and transfer over all your removable elements if you go to them - which I did.  

1 minute ago, headless said:

I've looked at their site but you have to send the wheel to them and they don't give prices anywhere which is always a worry, haha, any idea how much a recover is roughly???

Pretty sure it's on there somewhere - around £150-160. If he's got a wheel same as yours and you fancy a drive you can pre-order then get them swapped over when ready.

Just now, red rocket said:

Pretty sure it's on there somewhere - around £150-160. If he's got a wheel same as yours and you fancy a drive you can pre-order then get them swapped over when ready.

yeah just having a relook now, I must have sped read it last time, haha, cheers!!!

Just be aware that Royal recover your existing wheel, and possibly make it thicker, but they don't make it smaller diameter.

Someone here recently showed pics of a classic Momo fitted to their 986.

6 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Anyone know if Royal do a 'while you wait' type service?

Would be handy to drop car off & cone back later the same day with recovered wheel fitted.

Not sure they do a “whole you wait” re-trim, but will do a while you wait wheel swap/fit if they’ve already taken you order and trimmed an in stock wheel to your spec. 

6 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Anyone know if Royal do a 'while you wait' type service?

Would be handy to drop car off & cone back later the same day with recovered wheel fitted.

Pretty sure they don’t.   

Give Jack a call or email him?

The two options offered are essentially send your own wheel in to be retrimmed to be returned to you and re-fitted by you.  

Or to send in photos and a description of what you have now and what you want.  Jack will source from stock or elsewhere a matching wheel, then retrim to your spec. You turn up on the agreed date and he will swap wheels around including all your plastics and fittings to the new wheel. In this instance he keeps the ‘skeleton’ of your old wheel for the next customer needing that colour/design of wheel.  This is what I did.   Half an hour with him and you will be on your way.  

On my Tiptronic 986, the previous owner changed the standard four spoke wheel for a smaller diameter three spoke wheel, so I suspect there will be something similar on the 987. I'll get a photo once the ice melts off the car and measure the diameter. The current one feels just right, can imagine the standard one would feel a bit 'driving Miss Daisy'

I've got my wheel on order with them.  Sent them a pic of what I wanted and a pic of what I have.  They confirmed that they have my current wheel in stock, so will modify that and I am going to go in there and they will swap over for me £150 I think it was.

until I decide what I want to do with the steering wheel I've bought a rather nice leather steering wheel cover with the red stripe at 12 o'clock, looks and feels quite good and makes it chunkier in the hand, and it strangely makes the wheel look smaller!!!

I'll post a pic up tomorrow when I get it out!!!

1 hour ago, headless said:

until I decide what I want to do with the steering wheel I've bought a rather nice leather steering wheel cover with the red stripe at 12 o'clock, looks and feels quite good and makes it chunkier in the hand, and it strangely makes the wheel look smaller!!!

I'll post a pic up tomorrow when I get it out!!!

You’ll no doubt notice a significant increase in the car’s power output too !:D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived