981 Spare Tyre

CMA

Just contemplating getting a spare for my 981 (non S)  for long road trips only. These would be solo so the passenger seat would be used to store the flat tyre

Current tyres I have on are

235/35/20 which has a diameter of 672mm

265/35/20 which has a diameter of 693mm

I have the details of a 986 spare tyre and that has dimensions of

105/95/17 which is a diameter of 631mm

I've had confirmation that the 986 spare will fit in the frunk. Just need to find if it will fit over the calipers but before I get to that step....

Does anyone think the 40mm or 60mm diameter difference is a bad idea if I had to use one in an emergency? (I define emergency as a situation where the tyre goo wont work and stuck in the middle of nowhere)

19 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I think at a push (emergency) then you could probably do a few miles on one at reduced speed, but I’d be suprised if it fits the calipers.

Have you any idea what size the 987 spare is?

There isn't a 987 spare is there?  I thought it was just tyre gloop and a compressor...

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

There isn't a 987 spare is there?  I thought it was just tyre gloop and a compressor...

Ok, I thought there was one in the 987.1 but it would seem not.

I guess you could measure the clearance between your calipers and 20inch rim and work out if a 17inch would clear

I wonder if some other VAG spare would work, such as from an Audi.

My concern would be the electronics - aren't there sensors on each wheel counting and comparing revolutions? If one wheel does more revolutions than others (eg because it is smaller diameter) won't that throw up a few errors, e.g. ABS, PSM etc? I'm not sure, so await corrections.

12 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

My concern would be the electronics - aren't there sensors on each wheel counting and comparing revolutions? If one wheel does more revolutions than others (eg because it is smaller diameter) won't that throw up a few errors, e.g. ABS, PSM etc? I'm not sure, so await corrections.

Each wheel does revolve at different rates.   Otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn a corner :) 

On 11/28/2017 at 8:26 PM, Menoporsche said:

How about a Cayenne spare?

They are collapsible....and go up to 18/19/20" I think...certainly on the 'NEW' configurator there is an option for a 20" collapsible at £270 (and I think I've seen them on ebay for £200 for previews models)

22 hours ago, T24RES said:

I carry this for my bike and have used it in car tyres. Works very well 

https://www.stopngo.com/standard-model-tire-plugger/

Looks good, but the last 2 tyre issues I've seen on runs I'm afraid that wouldn't fix. Only a replacement or a spare would work, hence my spare thinking.... anyone local to Chesterfield have a 986 with a spare they could loan me for 10 mins to try one day?

On 29/11/2017 at 11:20 PM, rowbos said:

That looks useful.  Now shopping for one ?

My new Stop&Go tyre plugger arrived today, looks ideal.  I just added a pair of long nosed pliers to the little case it comes in and that's a small neat solution that might just get me out of a hole (ha!) one day :) 

Archived