Is it just me?????

headless

Only had my Boxster about 6 weeks now, but I have this annoying habit that when I put key in ignition and start car up and drive away the readout says front boot open or rear boot open, so I must be pressing the fob and opening the boots when starting car, it's bloody annoying.....my first Boxster meet on Sunday it happened, started car and followd other fellow Boxsters out of car park and had to stop to put boot down, felt a right tw*t, haha

AhI4fRR.jpg

My last 987 had that issue, I only had to lightly brush my finger against the fob or put it in my pocket and one or both boots would open!  My newer car has a different key design and does not look like it will have the same issue :) 

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

My last 987 had that issue, I only had to lightly brush my finger against the fob or put it in my pocket and one or both boots would open!  My newer car has a different key design and does not look like it will have the same issue :) 

Exactly, the 987.2 key head seems to be better than the 987.1. Not too much to change IIRC, maybe 30-50 quid.

I would just keep a person with you at all times, to ensure when setting off they inspect front and rear for closure, a lot simpler than messing about with fobs!!!!!!

I also have a 987.1 and the key does activate boots when in my pocket and pressing on something.  Never had it actually activating the boots when putting key in ignition.  I suspect yours is very sensitive.  Might be worth swapping to the spare key if you have the spare one to compare? Next best option is the replicas..

On 3 January 2018 at 10:58 AM, headless said:

I bought these rubber covers and thought that would help, they look good and protect the key but they don't help, haha!!!

kTVIi32.jpg

Where did you get those rubber covers from..very good idea.

Just now, paulchamby said:

Strange, my 978.1 is the complete opposite. I need to push hard on the frunk  or boot buttons for a good 4-5 seconds before they will open!..

Actually I kind of found mine the same Paul.  

If I didn’t want to open the frunk/boot the slightest innocuous touch would pop the frunk/boot when the keys were in my pocket/when picking the keys up/putting the the keys down.  

And yet if I did want to open deliberately then I would have to press and hold the appropriate button for what seemed like an extended period of time.   

Bloody quirky things ?

Just read this and actually reassured me that I don’t have a ghost that keeps popping open front or rear boot. It cost me £163 earlier this week when I had left the car parked under the office over the Christmas break. Came back to it to find the rear boot lid ajar and the battery completely flat. Cue the expletives about not being able to get to the battery and the lack of action around the thought I have had for months “must remember to get some breakdown cover”. So £99 penalty plus £64 for the annual cover and a very nice man from the AA had me on my way....

Hi @headless

As a few others have said I also have to hold my boot release down for it to work, I've just spoke to Chris Denning (Porsche Indy) and as I thought there is a time delay you can set for the auto lock and boot release buttons, it's in the Alarm system and I think if I can remember rightly it gives you 3 options settings ranging from 20 to 200 Milliseconds, you need someone to access the OBC and change the settings for you.

Hi @Bravestarr

I often knock the window open button when getting out of the car with my daysack and I don't hear it auto opening, so I've got into the habit of making sure nothing goes anywhere near that button when I'm getting out of the car and it hasn't accidentally opened for a long time now.

Guvs.

This company will take your old 987 gen 1 key and transfer it into a case from a 987 gen 2 which is completely revised to stop this annoying glitch from occuring, the 'fences' on the Gen 2 are higher to prevent the buttons being accidently pressed

They also refurb the climate switches for about £80 too which I have done with them before to good effect

http://www.keyrepair.co.uk/?product_cat=porsche-keys

Archived