Windscreen on the 981

CMA

Popped out for a run today now I have a new working battery and noticed I've gained a crack in the windscreen starting under the scuttle plastic and running up 6 or so inch. Damn :( Guessing it was a pothole as it seems to start just on the passenger side where the strut support goes through the cabin filter box. MOT is in a month so can't leave it too long to sort :(

So seems I have £80 excess (with £300 limit) and Autowindscreens to call. Any tips, advice or things to keep an eye on with a combination of 981 and Autowindscreens before I give them a call later on in the week?

53 minutes ago, topradio said:

Have a read of this

The only thing that I would advise is that you should insist on OEM glass.

+1

Thanks guys. Already had a read of that which lead me to ask if there was anything I should pay attention to on the 981. No seal on the 981 as it looks fully bonded. I'll hopefully have my new garage up and finished in the next week so they can do it in there too

How do you tell OEM quality from cheap carp? Does the cheap ones come without the aerials or something else?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2018 at 9:23 PM, Greenman said:

I’m not sure if there are many/any aftermarket manufacturers? 

So Autowindscreens turned up today. Had a screen made by Pilkington in the truck. Got it out, compared it to the existing one and the new one has too many aerials in it. (Assuming its a screen for a car with GPS/dab) He said they could fit it and just snip off the protruding cables but I'd still be left with the lines in the screen. Said no thanks I'd rather just have the correct one with just the FM aerial. So booked in again for next week. 

So far a good impression of the company, they seemed to be on the ball.

On 28/01/2018 at 7:04 PM, topradio said:

The OEM glass on my car was made by St. Gobain

This, this and this again.

If you can insist they get the parts from an OPC. Only when they turned up with the proper parts did they do the job right.

49 minutes ago, That986 said:

If you can insist they get the parts from an OPC. Only when they turned up with the proper parts did they do the job right.

Also the first screen i had was a Pilkington and it shattered when my wiper arm dropped on it. Also when the fitter took it out and replaced it with the saint-gobain it was also out on size. 

54 minutes ago, That986 said:

Whats the difference? Surely they're both built to the same spec? 

My insurance states I have to use Autowindscreens and I have a £300 maximum claim. So I would guess an OPC supplied piece of glass would be well over the £300 limit.

30 minutes ago, CMA said:

Whats the difference? Surely they're both built to the same spec? 

My insurance states I have to use Autowindscreens and I have a £300 maximum claim. So I would guess an OPC supplied piece of glass would be well over the £300 limit.

See my reply above. The Pilkington didn't look the same, feel the same, fit the same and the coating on it meant water actually stuck to it. That and it shattered as easily as breathing on it means i would not recommend one. 

As for a £300 limit that's pathetic. A windscreen for a 986 from an OPC is £500. 

From the one I saw today, it looked the same, felt the same to me. Couldn't tell about coatings though, didn't know the original had anything special on it?

Sadly £300 limit is what it is, its all there in the small print, not something I've ever looked for before, lesson learnt I guess on that one. If the 986 is £500 then i guess the 981 will be around the same price and I'll have to find another £200 and wait till they get it in stock. I'll save the £200 and rainX the one they fit if the rain sticks to it badly

I’ve read many of these windscreen threads OEM v other.  I can only give my experience replacing the screen on my M3.  I asked my insurer to fit OEM, they gave me a standard response that they were not obliged.  I then spoke to autoglass who said no problem they would bring an OEM screen.  But they turned up with the wrong version of OEM!  They phoned to say that the only correct screen they had in stock was non OEM, but was the identical screen from Pilkington, just without the BMW logo.  They said that they could get me OEM but it would cost me extra as a special order, or I could hassle my insurer and 50/50 they would cover the extra.  Or I could just wait until an OEM screen turned up amount thier stock orders, but couldn’t say when one would come in.  This would tell me that there is no difference in cost, unless required as a special order/delivery.  I just accepted the non OEM Pilkington and best I could discern they were identical except for the BMW logo.  All other ref no’s etc matched exactly.  So my guess is that non OEM glass from the same manufacturer is probably absolutely identical, except for the logo.

Autowindscreens came today, with the correct screen this time I asked about it being the same as the Saint Gobain one and he said its made to the same spec from the moulds provided with all the same coatings....

Took him 2 and a half hours to do the job, he said he was allocated 90 mins for it. I kept him company in the garage while he did it so saw everything. Very careful of paint work and caused no damage at all. Had fun fitting the mirror back, kept falling off and he couldn't get the final trim to go in.... turns out the factory had put the metal clips on the screen in the wrong way round so it was never going to happen. He never swore once despite this frustration, quite impressed as the air would have been blue if it was me.

nothing was too much trouble for him and things I was about to point out he sorted without being asked. He wasn't happy with one of the side trims so took it all off and started again.

Overall very impressed with Autowindscreens. Nothing like the horror stories I had read about the other companies.

Archived