Going for a Carnewal exhaust

John K

Folks, just before I pull the trigger i know the Carnewal sounds awesome at high revs but whats it like at commuting speeds - I'm thinking around town 30mph etc, the PDK in my car has a tendency to hunt out the highest gear it can so revs are rarely high unless i want then to be ;)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my Carnewal modified headers fitted this week and got it back yesterday. So that's now with the 200 cell high flow sports cats. At same time I fitted a Design tek valvetronic exhaust system. My car already had an old Miltek system on it, so not standard one to exchange for a Carnewal one. Also, given I do a few tracks days I wanted to be able to quieten it down if needed.

Anyway, it's absolutely brilliant! Spent 100 miles yesterday looking for underpasses, tunnels, and high walls!

On quiet it sounds like my car did before with the Miltek, on loud it has a lot more bark, and some nice burbles too. So if anyone likes their Carnewal back box, then the high flow cats just add even more to it.

And there is really noticeable extra kick to it all too.

Hi Onedesi, I've had my Carnewal backbox for 6 months or so now. I can put your mind to rest re the sound at commuting speeds. If you are just cruising along on a light throttle and low revs the sound is very reserved, not at all shouty. Coming off a light throttle you might still get a nice burble but it isn't loud.

9 minutes ago, Bravestarr said:

Hi Onedesi, I've had my Carnewal backbox for 6 months or so now. I can put your mind to rest re the sound at commuting speeds. If you are just cruising along on a light throttle and low revs the sound is very reserved, not at all shouty. Coming off a light throttle you might still get a nice burble but it isn't loud.

My experience too, and I'm on my 3rd Carnewal (on different cars I should add!).

No worries about pootling around town or motorway cruising, just comes on song right when you want it to :rocks:

16 minutes ago, Tengocity said:

So if anyone likes their Carnewal back box, then the high flow cats just add even more to it.

in what way please?

1 hour ago, onedesi said:

Folks, just before I pull the trigger i know the Carnewal sounds awesome at high revs but whats it like at commuting speeds - I'm thinking around town 30mph etc, the PDK in my car has a tendency to hunt out the highest gear it can so revs are rarely high unless i want then to be ;)

OK, the bogo Carnewal and back pipes is a multi trick pony.

It does the screaming at the high revs but at low to mid revs sounds 'normal' but if you then put it under load at low revs it burbles something lovely. Not loud so much, just deep and burbly, like Pavarotti with indigestion.

I've become addicted to pottering about at 30 in 7th or 6th and just squeezing the throttle enough to increase the load but not to kick down. Sounds lovely and promises lots to come.

I also do a lot of just driving about at 60 to 70, just following the traffic and have experienced zero drone. No nasty resonance at all.

I have a wife free weekend this weekend (she's working both days) and am over the lurgi, if you want to meet up at a mid way point and take a listen, we can arrange something.

1 hour ago, onedesi said:

It does the screaming at the high revs but at low to mid revs sounds 'normal' but if you then put it under load at low revs it burbles something lovely. Not loud so much, just deep and burbly, like Pavarotti with indigestion.

I've become addicted to pottering about at 30 in 7th or 6th and just squeezing the throttle enough to increase the load but not to kick down. Sounds lovely and promises lots to come.

I also do a lot of just driving about at 60 to 70, just following the traffic and have experienced zero drone. No nasty resonance at all.

I have a wife free weekend this weekend (she's working both days) and am over the lurgi, if you want to meet up at a mid way point and take a listen, we can arrange something.

15 minutes ago, CliveH said:

in what way please?

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87020/987-1-Exchange-Sport-Cats

The video here is a car with the Carnewal back box and the sports cats. I haven't heard a back to back comparison, but with the high flow cats you will get more of the noise coming through, especially at the higher revs, where I guess the high flow cats allow better breathing. That rush to the red line is intoxicating, and feels noticeably stronger. Though could be the noise affecting my perception of acceleration!

29 minutes ago, Tengocity said:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87020/987-1-Exchange-Sport-Cats

The video here is a car with the Carnewal back box and the sports cats. I haven't heard a back to back comparison, but with the high flow cats you will get more of the noise coming through, especially at the higher revs, where I guess the high flow cats allow better breathing. That rush to the red line is intoxicating, and feels noticeably stronger. Though could be the noise affecting my perception of acceleration!

Thanks, I need sports cats!

10 hours ago, Bravestarr said:

?

10 hours ago, CliveH said:

My experience too, and I'm on my 3rd Carnewal (on different cars I should add!).

No worries about pootling around town or motorway cruising, just comes on song right when you want it to :rocks:

That’s good to know ?

10 hours ago, John K said:

That’s very kind of you it would be great to hear it, I’ll send you a PM to see if we can work something out ?

13 minutes ago, onedesi said:

That’s very kind of you it would be great to hear it, I’ll send you a PM to see if we can work something out ?

Youtube videos will be much appreciated! B)

43 minutes ago, Ale_72 said:

Youtube videos will be much appreciated! B)

A video of what?

Me and Onedesi being arrested for a public order offence of excessive noise..? :D

49 minutes ago, John K said:

A video of what?

Me and Onedesi being arrested for a public order offence of excessive noise..? :D

That would be amusing :P

1 minute ago, Stuart21UK said:

Carnewal the best bang for your buck sound IMO, I'd have it if I didnt have PSE

For sure.  Me too...

4 minutes ago, onedesi said:

Wasn't me m'lud :inocent:, he made me do it :busted:

Quite!  That John K comes on here with his flowery descriptive and amusing anecdotes.  Starts talking about making more noise and before you know what’s happening you have a Fedex guy knocking on your door with a Carnewal Box under his arm. It’s grooming I tell you ?

Well that was a most excellent mini meet up with John for all the wrong reasons which I will now explain :huh:

We met as planned and as most of you know, John is an absolutely lovely bloke and we shot the breeze for an hour or so and I might even have convinced about a 718 (sorry to all you 6 cylinder snobs :P).

As we left Wyre valley I asked John to lead the way as I had no idea where to go but little did I know NOR DID HE :o

We drove for what felt like an age and we got slower and slower the further we travelled, past nice A roads, past stunning B roads - deeper and deeper we delved into green laning heartland :cry:  The further we drove an unerring thought crossed my mind (which I later shared with John), was I being lured into a trap, was John going to stop his car in the middle of nowhere pull out a chainsaw (or pickaxe or another serial killer weapon of choice) and rid me of my Sport Design steering wheel so he could finally release himself from those pesky gear changing buttons (bet you thought I was going to say summat else :whistle:).

At last we saw sense and let Guru Googlemaps take over to lead us back into the land of humans from the wilderness of hicksville :D

So no we didn't get to blast our cars into the sunrise but that worked out better for me as I got to hear Carnewal the way I wanted, in daily driver mode - btw, it sounded wonderful echoing of the walls in Bewdley (I giggled for ages at that!).

Anyway, a big big thanks to @John K for taking the time out to help me, for the coffee and the absolute giggle of a drive.

I am totally convinced Carnewal is the way to go (if I can avoid scratching the 911 itch for 18 months) and here is a short video of our findings today (yes I know I need to wash my car) B)

Damn, @onedesi beat me to the post by minutes... I wanted to get my side of the story over first.

To say I got us lost is an understatement.

There was probably two stand out quotes, Gobind with "If I'd have know we were going green laning..." and my "This is where you come to bury a body"

It was a great little drive and yup, going along that narrow built up street in Bewdley it was echoing off the walls something lovely :D

Just never trust me to organise a run out...

5 minutes ago, John K said:

Damn, @onedesi beat me to the post by minutes... I wanted to get my side of the story over first.

To say I got us lost is an understatement.

There was probably two stand out quotes, Gobind with "If I'd have know we were going green laning..." and my "This is where you come to bury a body"

It was a great little drive and yup, going along that narrow built up street in Bewdley it was echoing off the walls something lovely :D

Just never trust me to organise a run out...

:D

I'm still giggling, was a great way to spend a few hours - thanks a million B)

Thnaks!!!

I was just looking it. The difference (at least from my macbook) is very subtle. I was expecting something "more" but from your words the difference seems much more significant :D

Mine should be shipped back, after the mod, next week.

Unfortunately for a couple of weeks I'll not be able to install it.

8 minutes ago, Ale_72 said:

Thnaks!!!

I was just looking it. The difference (at least from my macbook) is very subtle. I was expecting something "more" but from your words the difference seems much more significant :D

Mine should be shipped back, after the mod, next week.

Unfortunately for a couple of weeks I'll not be able to install it.

Please don't read to much into a static "blipping" video - and TBH I was keeping to to 2k rpm as both engines were cool - I think that is the genius of a Carnewal. It is quiet and normal until you are on the moo.

Under load it sounds very, very different. It is not so much louder, it just sounds so much better.

If you want loud from idle, there are plenty of other exhausts to go to, but if you want something for daily use that can go from civilized to savage, it is still the Carnewal. And I love the twin nature of the exhaust. I don't want shouty, shouty all the time.

Archived