PSE - yay or nay?

Scylla

20 minutes ago, mdunderwood said:

Was that £1400 parts and fitting? If so, where from as that's the best price  I have seen and well below the 2k+ I have been quoted.

That was parts and fitted but I did it as part of the deal when buying my car from an OPC so they charged me parts only. They sometimes have offers on I saw an email for the 718 recently from Porsche Bristol where they would fit one for £1700.

I think that would be a good target price to aim for. There have been a few threads around where people manage to haggle to that price.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The 2.7 sounds utterly anemic without the PSE, I paid good money to have it retrofitted and it is worth every penny, and I'm not one to waste frivolous money on pointless car trinkets.

It sounds pleasingly close to this:

(although don't rule out the Carnewal option)..

981 PSE is a must for me.

normal mode is just slightly fruity.

on is a bit more sporty

sports on and it's childishly double de-clutching and popping (PDK)

I'd also state it works more with the PDK than manual box.

That said Steve's blue 2.7 981 PDK has the Carewall conversion - much cheaper and sounds good too.

I might have miss understood this but doesn't the PSE valves close at a certain speed, meaning its louder pottling about but when you get you foot down it gets quieter?

Thats why I thought it sounded odd that Pez had got drone on the motorway.

It sounded odd to me but there are loads of video's where people are unplugging them so they are in permanent loud mode.

Im not sure if this is just in normal mode and sports, sports+ overides it.

9 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I might have miss understood this but doesn't the PSE valves close at a certain speed, meaning its louder pottling about but when you get you foot down it gets quieter?

Thats why I thought it sounded odd that Pez had got drone on the motorway.

It sounded odd to me but there are loads of video's where people are unplugging them so they are in permanent loud mode.

Im not sure if this is just in normal mode and sports, sports+ overides it.

There is certainly some talk of this on planet9 but I wonder if it’s just in the US market to overcome some noise regs. I’ve never noticed anything similar on my uk car.

• 4 weeks later...

We were hunting for a car with a certain spec and the pse was a nice to have.  Anyhow, the car didn't have it fitted so we went to Porsche and they quoted £2355 to retrofit all in.  in the end I went for the carnewal conversion and sold it after 300 miles as I just didn't find it loud enough.  Went back to Porsche and test drove a 2.7 981 (which ours is) with a pse and I wasn't overly impressed.

after watching numerous sound clips etc I imported a Borla exhaust from the states.  It is absolutely epic.  It whips cracks on the pdk gear changes and my wife said she would hate the car without it fitted.  It has changed the car for us as the standard exhaust as mentioned above is quiet.  The only hassle with the borla is changing it every year when it goes in for service / warrenty extension but I'm getting quicker at it ?.  Considering how loud it can be the motorway cruising is fine for us and not really noticeable UNLESS you are on a motorway on a steepish incline.......then it drones till you get to the top.  I think it might be better on the 3.4

Well I will be able to do a back to back comparison soon. Just sold my manual 981 2.7 With PSE to swap to a PDK 981S 3.4 without PSE but going in to get PSE fitted in a few weeks time. So as soon as this snow buggers off I can get used to the 981S without the PSE and in a few weeks will see how it compares. ALthough I think the standard 981S without PSE sounds quite fruity already.....but I miss the pops and crackles I used to have

Yeh the pops and crackles are primarily due to the ECU update they do as part of the PSE install this overfuels the overrun (like a carburettor would).  Everyone is different on what they like. To many a Borla would be too much and the PSE or Carnwell is perfect, but mightily metro thinks otherwise, but if he is used to a Cerbera so its maybe understandable:neo:.  

I used to have the standard exhaust and could quite easily have lived with it, it sounded great, just not particularly loud and not really pops and crackles. I only changed to PSE because a S/h unit became available, for tootling about with PSE off it’s still quite quiet, it really wakes up with sport and PSE on when getting the revs going. By all accounts though mine is relatively quiet for a PSE but suits me fine.

Only downside to PSE is the lumps of soot on the rear bumper and the zorst tips being permanently covered in soot.

The childish smiles it causes is worth the extra cleaning

Let me Google that for you:

Porsche

Part number: 981 044 200 04

Fitted and including sports tailpipes:  £2363

Borla

$1904 +  shipping from USA + import duty

Carenwall GT

€495 + shipping there (approx. £35)

remote control + €295

Switch + €125

Archived