Boxster S to Golf R - Leaving the brand after 12 enjoyable years

RGB8888

Hiya

So after about 12 years of thoroughly enjoying Boxster ownership I have decided to leave the brand as I need more seats and space - so have got a 2016 Golf Mk7 R 

I was always very proud of my Boxster and it took me a long while to decide what I should get next - the final 3 contenders were a 5 door Mk7 Golf R, 2015 Audi RS3 sportback and a similar aged Audi S3 sportback

Buying the R was actually a nightmare! and I am on my 3rd - having to reject two Das Welt Auto (VW) approved cars within days of getting them home - one due to leaking roof related to a bodged repair on the rear quarter and the another due to a dodgy main dealer who decided it was okay to fit 3 budget Chinese tyres to match a Bridgestone and then when I picked them up on this tried to recoup the cost by giving me an in house warranty rather than the VW one I had paid for – oh yes and deny it had an alignment issue ….

I had almost given up getting one when one popped up at a small family owned VW dealer - which had been owned by a 67 year old chap, he had specified virtually every option, serviced it at the same dealer 3 times and then part ex'd it for a T-Roc for his wife - and I bought it from the same salesman as he had. Apparently, this was his daily driver alongside a 911 and a Mustang!

Having done my research, the only must is the Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) - a rare option but it transforms the ride esp with 19" wheels - as I don't like the standard wheels

The spec I have bagged is as follows:

Special Oryx White Pearl Paint (same as used by Porsche), 5 door, DSG, Pano Sun roof, Dynamic Chassis Control, 19” Pretoria wheels, 90% tints, Dyn Audio, Vienna Leather, Keyless entry and start, rear view camera, Pro Navigation - I have added some Racing Line DSG paddles

As my life has changed I have used the boxster in a variety of ways and it is such a capable car. My previous 986 was my only car and so used for daily commutes and frequent business use driving between Norfolk and the South coast – plus a trip over to Germany - covering 18k miles a year With my 987 as I walk to work its been more of car to enjoy in my leisure time – alongside my wife’s Mercedes ML.

The best mods on both cars were the exhausts – an Oettle on the 986 and Carnewal on the 987. The winter wheels and tyres made the car truly capable in any weather and my bike rack was great when it was my only car.

I always maintain my cars thoroughly but the costs haven’t been scary and typical with what I would expect on any premium German brand.  

Any way thanks for all the useful tips and advice over the years – it is appreciated and I am sure I will be back at some point

Cheers

RGB

Ha ha - good to see you have one too - and kept your Boxster too

Here is a pic!

Golf R vs RS3 vs S3

I suppose the honest answer is I couldn't get what I wanted for the budget I was determined to stick to and wanted things like a sunroof and dynamic chassis. I also suspect the Golf should have lower maintenance bills - as some of the RS stuff can bit a bit special. So I made a head choice.

I come from a family of RS fans - my dad has a B7 RS4 and previously had an RS2 and my brother in law has the new RS6

I know I would love the 5 pot engine and straight line pace of the RS3 but everything I had read and researched suggests the Golf is a better balanced car and I thought made a better package for what I wanted. There is an interesting video which puts them head to head on a track - strangely the Golf beats the Audi.

I was expecting to be critical of the 4 cylinder but they have worked hard on making it sound rather good - yes its not my old glorious flat 6 - just different 

I started off planning to get the Audi S3 but again whilst you would think they are the same car underneath there is apparently something in the way the golf is calibrated with makes it more fun - plus the golfs standard spec has many things the audi doesn't - like Adaptive cruise, auto hold handbrake 

golf R.jpg

47 minutes ago, RGB8888 said:

Ha ha - good to see you have one too - and kept your Boxster too

Here is a pic!

Golf R vs RS3 vs S3

I suppose the honest answer is I couldn't get what I wanted for the budget I was determined to stick to and wanted things like a sunroof and dynamic chassis. I also suspect the Golf should have lower maintenance bills - as some of the RS stuff can bit a bit special. So I made a head choice.

I come from a family of RS fans - my dad has a B7 RS4 and previously had an RS2 and my brother in law has the new RS6

I know I would love the 5 pot engine and straight line pace of the RS3 but everything I had read and researched suggests the Golf is a better balanced car and I thought made a better package for what I wanted. There is an interesting video which puts them head to head on a track - strangely the Golf beats the Audi.

I was expecting to be critical of the 4 cylinder but they have worked hard on making it sound rather good - yes its not my old glorious flat 6 - just different 

I started off planning to get the Audi S3 but again whilst you would think they are the same car underneath there is apparently something in the way the golf is calibrated with makes it more fun - plus the golfs standard spec has many things the audi doesn't - like Adaptive cruise, auto hold handbrake 

Thanks for this, when the time comes to replace my 986 I've been considering all sorts including the RS3, TTRS, M135/M140, E92 M3, 997 and 987, but hadn't considered the Golf R so will add it to the list!

4 hours ago, RGB8888 said:

Keyless entry and start,

Do read up on this and the ways of avoiding the pickup of the continuous broadcast signal from the fob, via a device held outside the house, to a second one near the car - which enables scum to unlock, start and drive away as if they have the key.

Seems a mini faraday cage for the keys, otherwise known as a tin with tinfoil lining, there's also fob holders that do same.

Do like the idea of an R though, having followed one recently, pickup from say 50+ was most respectful.

I'll probably heading to smaller cars, what with offspring being mobile themselves, can see might not need a 5 seat 5 series :-) 

51 minutes ago, thanatoid said:

Do read up on this and the ways of avoiding the pickup of the continuous broadcast signal from the fob, via a device held outside the house, to a second one near the car - which enables scum to unlock, start and drive away as if they have the key.

Seems a mini faraday cage for the keys, otherwise known as a tin with tinfoil lining, there's also fob holders that do same.

If you want a “proper” bit of kit to defend against this, search on eBay for a WeShield - exactly what you suggest, a faraday cage for your key fob. They’re only about £10. That’s me promoting my sponsor for the season!

Chris.

1 hour ago, Arl30 said:

Hi great choice hope you have it well locked up they are highly desirable by the undesirables ! 

I always found the Golf's drive better than the Audis. 

I tend to agree about the golf's being a better drive.  Despite them being largely the same car I also prefer the golf driving position to the a3/s3.  Audi seats seem to sit lower and the pedals higher. 

I am just in the process of going the other way. Sold our Stage 1 tuned Golf R at the weekend which we are replacing with a Seat Ibiza FR for the wife and a Boxster S for me.

The golf is immensely capable and a true do everything performance vehicle. My issue with the car was that I found it too 'normal' as a weekend driver and having got the wife a more sensible daily it was time to go. I would thoroughly recommend www.vwroc.com, great bunch of people with huge amount of knowledge which will help with your ownership experience.

I had gently modded mine and of the things I would most recommend would be a pedal box ( which I have for sale from the sale of my car - PM if interested) and a stage 1 remap. These 2 mods transform the car and how it should have come from the factory.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM, be pleased to help :)

Oh and if your sale on your Boxster falls through let me know as I would be happy to take it off your hands.

31 minutes ago, mike597 said:

I tend to agree about the golf's being a better drive.  Despite them being largely the same car I also prefer the golf driving position to the a3/s3.  Audi seats seem to sit lower and the pedals higher. 

+1 re the seats and pedals, thats the reason my mrs didn't like the RS or the A45:rolleyes:

Great choice imho. I needed a really good, reliable, fast daily with 4 seaters 3 years ago. Almost nearly purchased Golf R (having mk4 motion for 20 years, no issue!), but last minute I went for Beetle Black! :) (They have the same engine, suspension and all other bits really, only difference beetle is not awd). In terms of the engine, it is absolutely amazing and reliable, for me in central london works perfect on start/stop and if I'm doing long journeys it's also delivering more than enough. I've done two euro-trips so far, and never had any issue (knocking the wood), only annual service, oil change. Will have to replace it soon, as my wife can't drive it, we need to give it back and get UP GTI dsg probably as they do not produce 2.0 Turbo petrol Beetle's anymore.

42 minutes ago, ooid said:

Great choice imho. I needed a really good, reliable, fast daily with 4 seaters 3 years ago. Almost nearly purchased Golf R (having mk4 motion for 20 years, no issue!), but last minute I went for Beetle Black! :) (They have the same engine, suspension and all other bits really, only difference beetle is not awd). In terms of the engine, it is absolutely amazing and reliable, for me in central london works perfect on start/stop and if I'm doing long journeys it's also delivering more than enough. I've done two euro-trips so far, and never had any issue (knocking the wood), only annual service, oil change. Will have to replace it soon, as my wife can't drive it, we need to give it back and get UP GTI dsg probably as they do not produce 2.0 Turbo petrol Beetle's anymore.

No DSG option in the Up! GTi. 

My proposed solution for needing more practicality is to get an additional car so not selling the Boxster ?. In previous years this has been helped by a company car but in recent years my practical car was a C55 AMG, currently a 140 Ecoboost Fiesta and later in the year a Seat Arona! I know quite a few people who've had a Golf R as their daily and all have been pleased overall. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

My proposed solution for needing more practicality is to get an additional car so not selling the Boxster ?. In previous years this has been helped by a company car but in recent years my practical car was a C55 AMG, currently a 140 Ecoboost Fiesta and later in the year a Seat Arona! I know quite a few people who've had a Golf R as their daily and all have been pleased overall. 

Tell that to @loz he went out to get an additional car and came back with another Boxster.

Thanks all

Yes the golf R seems to be a great all rounder and that's exactly what I wanted really as it means as a family we can now take my car sometimes rather than always using the ML. It has taken me literally ages to decide what to replace the Boxster with.

@Simon - Sorry the Carnewal stayed on the car - well worth getting one

@Raffe - we could have done a swap! - you are local too! Yes a remap might be on the cards when it comes out of warranty - still haven't got my head around what the pedal box adds - will PM you 

Re. Keyless/theft - yes it is a big problem and these Rs and S3s seem to be targeted. I have invested in a simple lined pouch that shields the key from these new devices

There is absolute no doubt I will miss the Boxster and it will be sad to see it go when its collected but if you ever need more seats then worth trying one - but be sure to hunt one down with Dynamic Chassis Control option 

Cheers

RGB

I have a Boxster 977.1 S and a 2017 Mk7.5 R

The R is very practical, fast, comfy and bland.

The Boxster is so much more fun and special. Might not have the gizmos in the boxster ( mine has PCCB, PASM, quickshift, 19" wheels etc) but makes up for it in character. To have both cars available is a very nice combo in my (and my wife's) opinion. And she knows what she is talking about!

• 1 year later...

Bump of an old topic - my 18 golf r estate went back today. I had a 15 hatch one before that and last proper sports car a 98 M coupe.

The golf is extremely capable but it can be driven fast by any monkey. My boxster can't. I don't think I'll have a 3rd golf r.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly I went the other way last year. Had a lease R for 3 years then bought my boxster.  Think you will enjoy it, but I recommend getting some paddle extensions - for me this made the dsg box much easier to use and encouraged driving in sport manual. (assuming you went for DSG rather than manual box). It's blindingly quick off the line, and quite a lot of fun. Problem is round where I am there's too much traffic and speed limits to enjoy it properly - hence why I went for a soft top - at least I can get a tan in the jams!

Archived