Grating / rubbing rear offside - hope its just a stone

John K

Well that's annoying... Was going to go out and play, backed the car off the drive no noise, halfway down the street a grating noise from the rear offside.

Back on the drive, jacked it up and span the wheel. Definitely a grating / rubbing noise. Had a fondle through the thankfully very wide spoke gaps and I swear I can feel a stone wedged into the rear inside brake pad. 

Tried getting the wheel off but as ATS torqued it up properly, I've no chance doing it with the spider - note to self to buy a proper wheel nut bar...

So shame of shames, the RAC is coming out. Don't want to drive it to Lee's or anywhere else, if the stone shifts, I've got visions of it gouging the disk or knackering the pad.

Grrr...

Aren't camera phone ace...! Set it up to be voice actuated, stuck it through the spokes and three attempts later tadah...!

And there is the culprit. I'm quite chuffed I deduced my way to the right problem.

Just waiting for Mr RAC to rock up and hopefully will still get an evening trundle out.

And is this a million to one thing or with the increase in popularity of stone chip drives, quite common?

20180414_165329

Million to one. Experienced it on my 5 series E39 and thought the engine was about to fall out. Regular mechanic diagnosed with 5 minutes and removedall the crud and stones.

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

RAC for that?

I'm not proud but I can't get the wheel off. Even jacking it up was an effort.

And I don't want to risk driving it any real distance. And I've been a member since 2007 and used them twice before. So its not exactly a common occurrence to call them out.

They've just called, as they are busy they will come out tomorrow morning.

So what is the consensus opinion, not serious / risky?

IMHO having a piece of flint that close to what I assume is an expensive disc made me nervous.

It's not serious or risky. You could use the car if needed, but invariably there would be some scoring.

I would avoid tbh

I had to drive most of the North Circular Road (A406) before the mechanic could remove the stones

Get one of those bendy straws and suck like you've never sucked before :)

Try moving the car in reverse, that sometimes shifts them, though if you can get your phone in there to take a pic, can't you just flick the thing out with a small screw driver or similar ? 

I’ve had similar. Drove to see Lee about this and a couple of other things. It made a horrible screeching noise at times during...  

I did swap my discs afterwards but they were due anyway pretty much with inner face corrosion. 

You need a decent length breaker bar and torque wrench to check and remove your wheels John.  Just what I will be using tomorrow to sort mine out.

I tried all the small hand tools I had, needle nose pliers, different tweezers, tried trapping it againt the disc and rotating the wheel backwards, it was on a jack so in neutral I could spin the wheel both ways. But no joy. 

I can feel bugger all in my fingers so I only guessed it wasa stone from the graunching noises.

And yes, a good long torque wrench will be purchased asap.

Erm...

I told the RAC it was not serious, I told them it was a stone stuck in the rear caliper, I told them all I needed was the wheel taking off so we could flick the stone out.

The RAC passed this on to some local guys CVR.

This is what rucked up this morning... The two biggest vehicles on their fleet. One had driven from Oxford to get here..! To say I was a tad embarrassed and apologetic to the lads was an understatement :unsure:

20180415_093804

And the result of this NATO sized deployment...

20180415_114534

13 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Wow! You are such a drama queen ?

I think you will find me in the dictionary under "Attention Seeker"

45 minutes ago, John K said:

I'm just waiting for @Menoporsche to comment... 

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous statement.

It was free and it solved your problem (and made us smile). I'd say thanks for the mention of the voice-activated phone, very smart which I'd never thought of, and thanks for the pic of that Imperial Star Destroyer sized truck with an L-plate on the front!  Was that somehow aimed at you?

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Was that somehow aimed at you?

They would have needed a "D" plate for d**khead.

And if any of you are solid TG fans and remember the Peugeot driver episode, it was CVR who extracted Jezza from the hedge / ditch... 

12 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

god knows what they will send when you can't open a tin of peaches or lock yourself in the downstairs loo ;)

Trap myself in my zip more like...

1 minute ago, Mattman42 said:

Rubber duck, rubber duck, come on join the convoy.... ?

Damn you... I was just about to post that..!

Had the same after fuelling at a French motorway services. Pulling away from pumps, really nasty something is about to fall off sound...pulled into parking space, had a feret about- nothing obvious so reversed out of parking space.

No noise when driving forward now.

Not the sort of thing you want when there are still several hundred autoroute miles to do :cry:

1 hour ago, Pezky said:

nothing obvious so reversed out of parking space.

No noise when driving forward now.

Hopefully when reversing it removed the stone. But I hate problems that 'just go away', because they very rarely have...

Archived