987.2 Black Edition ride height

CliveH

Several people have now commented on how high my car appears to sit.

I was surprised when I first got it, as my previous Boxsters were both 987.1 Sport Editions which include PASM and 10mm lowered suspension. In fact, it seems that all previous special editions (eg 550 anniversary) have lowered sports suspension so it's odd that the BE doesn't.

I have to say that there is no discernable difference in the ride or handling compared to the SEs, I'm just curious how other owners' BEs sit (and we have a few on here now.

BE with a twist

Do you see what I mean? (in case anyone viewing missed my update to my owner's thread, this is a genuine BE - just wearing Spyder wheels and side vents at the moment)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a photo of ours, looks similar light to the above. I think the 19's aren't helping possibly.

This car doesn't have PASM either one of the only options it doesn't have weirdly.

Hope this helps.

Ash

40191351684_3bc32678cb_b.jpgBoxster S 987.2 Black Edition by Ashley Hopson, on Flickr

40857625282_baeda28db0_b.jpgBoxster S 987.2 Black Edition by Ashley Hopson, on Flickr

Thanks for that guys, that confirms that it's not just me and adds to my puzzlement as to why the 987 BE seems to be the only special edition not to have been treated to PASM or sports suspension as part of the high standard spec.

As said above, it doesn't affect the ride or handling, just looks unusually high even for standard height, although the 19s may have something to do with that.

@hopz121, I did a double take when you posted your photo - I know they're all BEs but at first glance it looked as if it had been taken in the same place as @rowbos's

987's do have a bit of a gap between tyre & wheel arch. When I first got mine people used to comment about the gap looking like a jeep! ?

Carrera classic wheels

This gives a good comparison of how a 987 with PASM looks (also on 19" wheels with the same tyres). Amazing what a difference 10mm makes.

Actually looks even lower than @Lonewolfgjp's

9 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Why do I get the feeling Clive is talking himself into some lowered springs ?

Mmm, and I have just paid to have mine setup at Centre Gravity - this does not help you know Clive!  I need to avoid looking at my wheelarch gaps now :) 

12 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Why do I get the feeling Clive is talking himself into some lowered springs ?

Tempted yes, but I'm not going to start modding this one.

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Mmm, and I have just paid to have mine setup at Centre Gravity - this does not help you know Clive!  I need to avoid looking at my wheelarch gaps now :) 

Sorry Steve!

I was just curious (and slightly peeved at Porsche for not giving the BE PASM or lowered suspension as standard as they seem to have done on all other special editions across the range), but as said before it has no effect on the ride or handling compared to my previous Sport Editions so I'm not complaining.

2 hours ago, Patt said:

Why not fit the PASM springs - just a thought...

or the 987 Spyder/Cayman R springs?

13 minutes ago, CliveH said:

or the 987 Spyder/Cayman R springs?

Actually they are 20mm lower than standard. That would be spot on.

As I said, I'm not going to start modding this car but it seems that the 987 Spyder springs and shocks would have to be fitted together, and the parts aren't cheap.

If buying form Porsche the "sports kit" is always the cheapest OEM way, rather than as separate pieces.

Or Buy B4 shocks and the springs from Porsche - as I did with Molly.

Or...well I guess I'll find out on Wednesday....

2 hours ago, CliveH said:

As I said, I'm not going to start modding this car but it seems that the 987 Spyder springs and shocks would have to be fitted together, and the parts aren't cheap.

I think you’re wise not to start modding this car, they are far too good in standard spec. I’m guessing it is only the lower look that interests you as the handling is spot on!

How come you swapped the Black Spyder alloys for the silver? I think it’s the special edition black wheels that gives it the look. Mine feels like a plain Jane on the silver loan wheels but hopefully not for long ?

I think the Spyder vents look cool but if there stopping on I think the frames need to be gloss black for maximum wow factor!

Mine is looking far from wow at the minute covered in a layer of brown dust and sat on the silver wheels ?

But it will have a big clean at the weekend and hopefully the original wheels refitted ?

Archived