987.2 Black Edition ride height

CliveH

14 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I’m guessing it is only the lower look that interests you as the handling is spot on!

Exactly that.

14 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

How come you swapped the Black Spyder alloys for the silver? I think it’s the special edition black wheels that gives it the look.

I bought the Black Edition for the high standard spec, not the colour. After living with it for a while, I decided to give it a bit of a Spyder look with parts I just happened to have lying around in the garage :) 

It's all down to personal preference, but for me it was just too black (yea, I know that's the idea!) and the smokey silver Spyder wheels and side vents give it the contrast that I find more appealing.

I've kept the original wheels and side vents so that they can go back on when I come to sell it. And then the Spyder wheels will probably be up for grabs again!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse my ignorance, but aren't the spyder wheels the same rim as the BE, just a different colour ?

I like what you've done with yours Clive, I think it sets of the rest of the car well, rather than merging in with it.

6 minutes ago, Patt said:

Excuse my ignorance, but aren't the spyder wheels the same rim as the BE, just a different colour ?

Yes, exactly that.

6 minutes ago, Patt said:

I like what you've done with yours Clive, I think it sets of the rest of the car well, rather than merging in with it.

Thank you, I'm happy with it too, but as I said it's personal preference and I can imagine that for some part of the attraction of a Black Edition is, quite naturally, the blackness.

I'm not sure exactly what colour they call it. The interior of the wheels start as black and "fade" to a smokey silver on the rims.

I had them done at Project Customs who do a lot Leeds OPC's wheel refurbishment and bodywork repairs. A bit of a trek for you but if you give Martin a call I'm sure he would be happy to give you guidance on the process he uses and the colour if you explain where you're from and that I sent you ;)

https://www.projectcustoms.com/index.html

0113 245 0371

They are a great colour, like a shadow silver ?

Can you post a sound clip of your Cayman R exhaust? I m interested to see how it sounds compared to the PSE. I’m guessing it will sound a bit deeper?

As regarding modding the Black Edition, the idea of me having mine was to stop me spending on fancy bits and put that money towards a better car and pay the finance. To be fair it is working although I’m spending a small fortune buying stuff to clean it with ?

Contrary to others opinion I think the spyder wheels and vents look fantastic. Have been waiting ages to see those vents on a black (non spyder) car. Think I'll have to get some even at the high cost.

Thanks @MH82.

As would be expected, feelings are mixed and I totally understand the Black Edition purists who bought (or admire) one for the all black exclusivity. As I've said elsewhere, I bought the BE for the high standard spec not the colour.

With hindsight, I should have probed a little deeper and looked for one with PASM, which takes us back to the topic - if I do do anything about the ride height, it will have to be Spyder/Cayman R suspension in keeping with my "OEM only mods" protocol.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Mick, only just spotted this. Of course, yet another special edition with lowered suspension (PASM too). Shame on Porsche for overlooking it on the 987 BE!

• 9 months later...

So, I did it!

Spyder suspension

Before.

Spyder suspension

After fitting of Spyder suspension, in almost the same spot at the same angle.

Spyder suspension

Side on view.

I did it mainly for the looks for the reasons explained at the start of the thread but I was pleasantly surprised by the slightly firmer ride. I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet but apparently the road test after fitting also confirmed better handling. A big thanks to Revolution Porsche for their usual high standard of work and customer service. A very happy customer!

1 hour ago, CliveH said:

So, I did it!

Spyder suspension

Before.

Spyder suspension

After fitting of Spyder suspension, in almost the same spot at the same angle.

Spyder suspension

Side on view.

I did it mainly for the looks for the reasons explained at the start of the thread but I was pleasantly surprised by the slightly firmer ride. I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet but apparently the road test after fitting also confirmed better handling. A big thanks to Revolution Porsche for their usual high standard of work and customer service. A very happy customer!

Can you give an indication of what you bought and the cost to do this?

Also, would you say your wheels match the vent rim colour?

18 hours ago, map said:

@CliveH - That looks lovely.  Just needs some road grime........

Thanks Matt. I'm sure the Highlands run will provide plenty of that!

22 hours ago, MH82 said:

Can you give an indication of what you bought and the cost to do this?

Also, would you say your wheels match the vent rim colour?

I was hoping to get away with replacing just the springs with the Spyder ones but unfortunately the gap between top of the shorter spring and the shock absorber would have meant a significant compression of the shock absorber to get it to fit. I therefore took Revolution's advice and also fitted the Spyder shock absorbers. As my car is very low mileage (25k), bump stops, top mounts, drop links, and other fittings were all in good order so nothing further was necessary.

So in short, all I needed was springs and shockers all round. An older car may need some of the other components replacing. Total cost of the parts for me was about £1,600 incl. VAT. On top of that you will need to add labour if you can't do it yourself, plus of course a wheel alignment. Worth every penny in my view - just as nature (although sadly not Porsche) had intended.

As for the colour scheme, I had the Spyder side vents and silver Spyder wheels on my last 987 and put the originals back on before sale. When the Black Edition arrived, I decided it needed some contrast so fitted the silver wheels and vents which are very close in colour (the wheels are silver with a hint of black and the vent rims are silver/grey). It's all down to personal taste and I know the Black Edition is supposed to be Black but it works well for me.

Rob, 2 things:

1. Thank you for pointing out that on page 1 (less than a year ago), I said I'm not going to start modding this one!

2. No thanks for reminding me of the Scottish potholes I fell foul of on a previous outing - I intend to avoid them all this time :)

17 minutes ago, CliveH said:

Rob, 2 things:

1. Thank you for pointing out that on page 1 (less than a year ago), I said I'm not going to start modding this one!

2. No thanks for reminding me of the Scottish potholes I fell foul of on a previous outing - I intend to avoid them all this time :)

What did I point out on page 1..which thread?

Scottish potholes are legendary!

You will be on the lookout this time though, highly alert to the car in front, when he swerves you swerve too! 👍

5 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

“I'm not going to start modding this one.”

This thread Rob :) 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, CliveH said:

I was hoping to get away with replacing just the springs with the Spyder ones but unfortunately the gap between top of the shorter spring and the shock absorber would have meant a significant compression of the shock absorber to get it to fit. I therefore took Revolution's advice and also fitted the Spyder shock absorbers. As my car is very low mileage (25k), bump stops, top mounts, drop links, and other fittings were all in good order so nothing further was necessary.

So in short, all I needed was springs and shockers all round. An older car may need some of the other components replacing. Total cost of the parts for me was about £1,600 incl. VAT. On top of that you will need to add labour if you can't do it yourself, plus of course a wheel alignment. Worth every penny in my view - just as nature (although sadly not Porsche) had intended.

As for the colour scheme, I had the Spyder side vents and silver Spyder wheels on my last 987 and put the originals back on before sale. When the Black Edition arrived, I decided it needed some contrast so fitted the silver wheels and vents which are very close in colour (the wheels are silver with a hint of black and the vent rims are silver/grey). It's all down to personal taste and I know the Black Edition is supposed to be Black but it works well for me.

Did you change your front anti roll bar to the Spyder item as well?

just having this all booked in at Cotswold 

On 3/28/2019 at 4:08 PM, CliveH said:

Spyder front splitter :rocks:

Oh crikey, this site is going to be expensive. Need to replace those rear mudguard things first which I managed to split by dropping off the edge of the drive.... 🙁

Archived