987.2 Black Edition ride height

CliveH

34 minutes ago, MH82 said:

Did you change your front anti roll bar to the Spyder item as well?

just having this all booked in at Cotswold 

Great stuff! Hope you're as pleased with the results as I am.

I believe that the ARBs on the Spyder are slightly bigger than the standard models but I didn't bother with that. The handling is perfect for me but if you want a more track focused car, it may be worth doing those too. I'd be interested to know what the size differences are and what difference they may make.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, MH82 said:

Oh crikey, this site is going to be expensive. Need to replace those rear mudguard things first which I managed to split by dropping off the edge of the drive.... 🙁

Let's hope this doesn't tempt you...

Spyder Front splitter

10 minutes ago, CliveH said:

Let's hope this doesn't tempt you...

Spyder Front splitter

Concerned that with the lower ride height the spoiler may be too much for negotiating our drive and speed bumps, so will wait before I start ordering eanyrhing else.

its having a couple of mini-dents taken out the week after before a full two stage machine polish, refurbed alloys and ceramic coating, so hopefully it will be a transformed car for the summer (particularly as the roof will be down to show off the interior)

with regards the arb, I’ve been advised that only the front one is different, apparently the Spyder shares the rear with the S. No doubt i’ll be needing drop links and top mounts and the like too.

i can hear the comments at home ‘you spent how many thousand on that car....?’

1 hour ago, MH82 said:

And how are you finding the ride/handling?

The ride is firm but doesn’t shake your teeth out, just right for me even on our crappy British roads. It is remarkably even flatter through the twisties.

23 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Looking good Clive👍

Did you fit them yourself and what has happened to the side Zunsports?

No, I bottled out and got Revolution to fit them while they were fettling the car.

Dont worry they’re back on. Pulled them off to see if the Spyder DRLs and intake surrounds might fit.

Spyder front splitter

4 minutes ago, CliveH said:

Dont worry they’re back on. Pulled them off to see if the Spyder DRLs and intake surrounds might fit.

And did they?

i fear we’re aiming for the same look. Only difference is mine doesn’t have the wheels but has a jazzy interior and sparkly black paint, whereas yours is becoming the legitimate every day Spyder 

Just now, MH82 said:

And did they?

It’s a maybe, I’ll keep you posted.

1 minute ago, MH82 said:

i fear we’re aiming for the same look. Only difference is mine doesn’t have the wheels but has a jazzy interior and sparkly black paint, whereas yours is becoming the legitimate every day Spyder 

You have great taste then! 

Mine will never quite reach true Spyder status as it won’t have the silly roof but the bucket seats are still a possibility if they ever come up at a sensible price.

16 minutes ago, CliveH said:

It’s a maybe, I’ll keep you posted.

You have great taste then! 

Mine will never quite reach true Spyder status as it won’t have the silly roof but the bucket seats are still a possibility if they ever come up at a sensible price.

Yeah I’ve been looking at those too. 

To be honest, spunking £5k now is enough. I’ve told the wife that i’ll keep it for another 2-3years and then a 981 Spyder might be in order (or the Vantage Roadster she likes)

981 Spyder is an epic car with a sensible lightweight one piece roof. The best of both worlds - 911S engine in a Boxster!

They're slowly coming “down” in price, sub £70k now, but will hold strong money for many years to come in my view.

22 minutes ago, CliveH said:

981 Spyder is an epic car with a sensible lightweight one piece roof. The best of both worlds - 911S engine in a Boxster!

They're slowly coming “down” in price, sub £70k now, but will hold strong money for many years to come in my view.

Well with the amount I’ve spent on this I can’t justify changing for a 987 Spyder.

only thing I have against the 981 is the manual gearbox

decision for some time hence, may need to tick the Aston box on my list anyway, if only briefly (maybe be that point a v12 might be viable - ignoring the fact that it’s two mondeo engines fused together)

• 3 weeks later...

Spyder suspension on, great drive home through the Cotswolds and Chilterns. Definitely an upgrade. Really does feel like it’s on rails. Was more expensive than planned as needed new drop links all round, a new coffin arm, and some other bits and pieces. Still, you only live once.

Detailer picking up this evening to get started on the appearance, so will come back with newly powder coated wheels, little dings removed, a two stage polish, ceramic coating and some new bits of trim.

Then should be set for the summer.

Only issue so far is that it’s now too low for some of the speed bumps on my normal route into town......

52 minutes ago, MH82 said:

Spyder suspension on, great drive home through the Cotswolds and Chilterns. Definitely an upgrade. Really does feel like it’s on rails. Was more expensive than planned as needed new drop links all round, a new coffin arm, and some other bits and pieces. Still, you only live once.

Detailer picking up this evening to get started on the appearance, so will come back with newly powder coated wheels, little dings removed, a two stage polish, ceramic coating and some new bits of trim.

Then should be set for the summer.

Only issue so far is that it’s now too low for some of the speed bumps on my normal route into town......

Sounds very good and that you are treating your Boxster! Should handle and look fantastic ready for the summer.

I made a slight alteration to my PASM suspension last week and fitted the TPS DSC module. It’s basically a advanced control unit for the PASM which makes it respond and adjust at lot quicker. I will do a full report when I get time but the bottom line is it is fantastic 👍

5 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Sounds very good and that you are treating your Boxster! Should handle and look fantastic ready for the summer.

I made a slight alteration to my PASM suspension last week and fitted the TPS DSC module. It’s basically a advanced control unit for the PASM which makes it respond and adjust at lot quicker. I will do a full report when I get time but the bottom line is it is fantastic 👍

Is that programble? Or does it just adapt more?

On 4/2/2019 at 9:49 PM, CliveH said:

Not even the 981 offering?

Yup!

I would have bought a Spyder if it wasn't for that comedy roof. I test drove one and it really is a complete PITA and ruins the car in my opinion.

Steps required to lower the roof:- 

1. Stop car and go round to back.

2. Open rear boot.

3. Go to driver's side, unpop studs, fold back flaps and press stud them in place - you can't see the press studs, you have to feel for them and are tricky to find..

4. Go round to passenger side, do same thing.

5. Get hold of roof, at this point you realise you have forgot to unlatch it, manually fold roof into still open boot.

6. Close boot.

7. Get back in car.

Putting it back up is even more of a pain, by which time you are wet through, your leather seats are soaked and you have a boot full of water! Once you have stopped, got out and done the reverse of the above, you then have to press down on the outside of the manually raised roof, whilst simultaneously pressing the button for the roof latch - which is quite a contortionist trick I can tell you. If you don't do this the electric latch won't grab the roof and lock it in place.

What a bloody faff, as I say, the roof completely ruined the car for me. Would be fine In a dry climate...but not in Scotland!

Drives well though!

Hence I bought a GTS. Steps to lower or raise roof:-

1. Push button.

Simples!

Oh, and by the way, here's the £25,000 you just saved Sir!

46 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Is that programble? Or does it just adapt more?

It is programable and comes complete with a lead to connect to your laptop. I bought mine from a forum member who had it fitted by Center Gravity. I don’t know if they set a custom programme or if it running on the standard one. But it makes a huge difference, I drove over 3hrs into Wales in Sports setting and it performed perfectly.

8 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

It is programable and comes complete with a lead to connect to your laptop. I bought mine from a forum member who had it fitted by Center Gravity. I don’t know if they set a custom programme or if it running on the standard one. But it makes a huge difference, I drove over 3hrs into Wales in Sports setting and it performed perfectly.

Certainly would make the Sport mode useable, just the price need to keep my eye out for a second hand one.

Yes the price is the down side but I suppose compared to brand new shocks springs, 4 alignment and the labour it’s probably not bad. The most important thing is it really does work and make a huge difference 👍

On 4/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, MH82 said:

Spyder suspension on, great drive home through the Cotswolds and Chilterns. Definitely an upgrade.

Great news, glad you're pleased with it.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, MH82 said:

Take the scenic route! But you surprise me, I have gingerly negotiated some of the speed bumps near me and haven't had any problems at all. I am still cautious with those I don't know though.

8 minutes ago, CliveH said:

Great news, glad you're pleased with it.

Take the scenic route! But you surprise me, I have gingerly negotiated some of the speed bumps near me and haven't had any problems at all. I am still cautious with those I don't know though.

It’s the ones that are like square blisters, they’re too high to either go over straddling or with one wheel up. But definitely won’t be adding a splitter as well. The only thing i’d contemplate at the moment are some spacers as the rear wheels in particular look quite onboard, which has been exaggerated by the lowered stance.

Annoyingly I only got to play for one day as it’s gone straight off to the detailers......

Archived