Incoming new 718 and proper introduction.

Scubaregs

Hi ladies and gents, I've been a member a few weeks now, browsing the forum and sticking my oar in, as my won't, though felt a bit of a fraud as don't actually own a Boxster. Well technically I still don't, but deposit down today and deal done.

A bit about myself, almost 55 but the proverbial Peter Pan, never grown up. Scuba diving, Barbados, motorbikes and cars are my passions. Been known to sup the odd pint.

Turning 55 and the new pension rules have made a lifelong dream of owning a Porsche possible, this will also be my first new car, had new bikes and pre registered cars but never been the first owner of a car. Also explained to the GF that she does not really need two kidneys, so one of them will be coming out asap to help fund the purchase.

Ok, enough of your prattling man, what about the car I hear you ask?

Sapphire blue 718, spec as follows;

PDK

Black top.

Black Alcantara and leatherette seats.

Bi-xenon headlights including Porsche dynamic light system

ParkAssist front and rear.

Roll-over bars painted in exterior colour.

Sports tailpipes.

20-inch 911 Turbo wheels.

Two-zone climate control.

Seat heating, SWMBO's only "must have."

Storage compartment lid with Porsche logo.

TBH, it is not what I would have chosen for a spec, but the colour was our first choice which was the main thing. I would have chosen different wheels, not have bothered with the two zone climate control or the Bi-xenons. However, the deal I got was superb, and had I chosen my own spec there would have been no discount, so it was a no brainer.

Looking forward to being an active member of the forum and hopefully meeting a few of you.

Not looking forward to being skint.

Anyone want to buy a lightly used kidney?

52A2B71E-D1E9-4D13-B8BB-516657022413.thumb.jpeg.f171e247048425544131643740d46f21.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing some real pictures but sounds like a cracking machine. Must be a lot of that pension thing going on, keep seeing 50 something’s driving 718s? True story, I honestly keep seeing them ?

Sounds great and well done ?

Welcome mate I have also extended my mid life crisis?. Great news about your new car.  Lots of pics when you get it. It's the best colour. I have a 981 in aqua blue. Welcome to th smiles per gallon club ? get your driveway sorted before you get the car and you will be safe from the driveway police ?

Thanks. We go to Barbados on Thursday, hoping to pick up car 1st of July, 2 days after we come back.

Think this will be the only time in my life I will be looking forward to leaving at the end of the holiday.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect on reveal/handover day?

I’m sure they will make a big fuss and make the collect day special for you.

They will certainly do the big reveal with the black sheet, not sure if the bride will get a bunch flowers? They use to that with brand new cars but that may have changed.

Sounds great thought nice sunny holiday and a brand new Porsche to look forward to when you get home! Doesn’t get much better than that ?

Great stuff. Was it pre owned or just pre registered?

A great deal is possible but pretty rare on a new Boxster so I think you can rest smugly on that one. And Xenons well worth getting. 

You can go on Boarders runs in your retirement :) 

Neither, just off transporter yesterday, registered today after I did the deal. Salesman was amazed that the deal mooted was accepted, first by his boss, then his boss. He actually asked that I not give out details on any forums.

Never expected to get such a good deal, it just did not make sense to spec one myself to a lower price, get no discount and wait months for it.

They had a nice white with stunning 20-inch Carrera S wheels in black satin, cheaper than the blue. Had it had the painted roll bars I may well have went for it. Tried to get them to swap wheels, but TBH by that time I think they thought I was taking the p*ss a bid and got a sound NO.

It doesn't surprise me that they don't want you talking about discounts in public. I think it's because word got around that OPC's were prepared to do deals that Porsche tried to stop their dealers selling at below list. But we all know that they need the sales and if they have a built car waiting for a punter then they can be flexible.  

10 hours ago, topradio said:

It doesn't surprise me that they don't want you talking about discounts in public. I think it's because word got around that OPC's were prepared to do deals that Porsche tried to stop their dealers selling at below list. But we all know that they need the sales and if they have a built car waiting for a punter then they can be flexible.  

I doubt that’s ever going to happen! Porsche seem happy with dealers flipping cars and I can guarantee they are still making a profit in a ‘discounted 718, you don’t get anything for free from Porsche! ;) 

Love that colour, keep speccing it on the configurator. Yep, deals are there to be had. I was surprised last year when I said "my 981 plus £xxx" for that 981 GTS and they very easily said "O.K". Should have tried harder.......enjoy your new toy !

Of course they are still making money, they are hardly going to sell at cost or under.

Just totally surprised at the scope of the deal, but if you don't ask you don't get. I love negotiating for cars and bikes, if you can walk away with a deal you are happy with it is a nice feeling. Normally once a price is agreed I will push for a bit more on servicing or accessories etc, my gut instinct yesterday was not to, driving a good deal is fine, being greedy afterwards is crass.

Sapphire is lovely. Mine is similar to yours, but I went with blue hood and full blue leather interior because that's what my last Boxster had. (If I'm perfectly honest, the blue was better on the last car than this one...). Once you're used to the headlights you won't go back to standard. They really are fantastic!5a2a872b39a83_happydays.JPG.bb8c9fe263f3618c2d8d8538699bcc9a.JPG

Thanks happy, had I been speccing my own, I would have went with the blue hood, black door handles and colour coded side vents and rear. The deal was just too good to even consider doing so though, then there would have been the long wait.

47 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

you can offer the wheels on here in case anyone wants to do a straight swap.  Door handles shouldn't be too pricey either.

you been smoking-the :cigar: again mate ....sorry mate my bad..  I didn't notice he asked for a wheel swap .??

52 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

That is stunning oh rotund one. I can feel a blast up to Oban through Glencoe coming on once I pick up the car if you fancy a coffee and a chat.

anytime mate . anytime .......

Welcome to the Sapphire Blue club, had mine sine Sept and still can’t help grabbing a sneaky glance. 

81F955CC-ABA8-40F4-B73F-BE08210A87B0.jpeg.b63eba2f004ebc2d4c07da1c3cb76bd8.jpeg

I actually like the standard wheels. Plus I don't go in for the over-sized-rims-with-an-elastic-band-sized-tyre combination as I'm too old and the roads around here are decaying badly (no government in place to direct operations here in NI) so I'd permanently be repairing rims and buying new tyres1

Archived