Recommendations for replacement wheel bolts

highsider

I'm sure this has been asked before...

My wheel bolts are very rusty - so a new set would be good (plus the locking/security bolts). Any recommendations for 16 bolts and 4 security bolts - chrome or stainless.

Thanks.

I recent replaced mine for a set of DesignTek wheel bolts which included a set of locking wheel nuts also. They’ve been on the car for about a month and I have no complaints, they also allow for spacers up to 7mm which is handy. 

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod5349/Wheel-Bolts-and-Locking-Bolts-Kit-Stainless-Porsche-986-996-997/

NIck 

Locking bolts considered more trouble than they are worth, many here have removed them.  Flat battery is common, can’t get into car, need to remove wheel to pull emergency cable...but bolt key is in car! When was the last time you heard of alloys being stolen?

otherwise make sure you get exactly the right seat for your wheels, there are various. 

Thanks All.

I bought some bolts from Tech World Direct... plus a Charge-o-mat tickle charger as I don't use the car that often and paranoid the battery will go flat... eventually.

Small tin of hammerite smooth silver £7.99, some metal light grade sand paper, a small airfix brush and a bit of patience. Maybe not as perfect as replacements but 100% better than the previous rusty mess 

42720604681_44713b9727_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, the baron said:

I tried those, waste of time, nightmare to get off, binned them in the end.

I had some and the chrome finish peeled off after a while.  Got some new bolts so keep the covers for winter when i use the old bolts.

13 hours ago, mattomg said:

So they've been on for 3 months & still shine, can be removed using the plastic remover supplied & cost £8.00

Where's the problem ?

wheelnuts.jpg

After a while for what ever reason the plastic covers became very difficult to remove(I think they shrink or there’s a retraction with the metal and plastic and it bonds together), the plastic gizmo was useless especially on the rears, the only way to remove was with a pair of pliers which ended up cracking and breaking the caps, this happened on the side of the road when i had a flat tyre, very frustrating, I also paid £20 for the caps.

I’ve had loads of sets of those covers in various colours.

The cheaper ones are a bit useless, I found some good ones for £15, bin the removal tool and buy a Audi Vw one off eBay so much better even on the rears.

The chrome covers are the tightest fitting and if you’re bolts are very rusty, it may be an idea to remove them and rub them down a bit with some sandpaper.

My favourite finish was the smoked chrome looks very classy ?

20180119_160506

I've just bought a cheap set off of ebay to go with my new alloys being refurbed as the nuts look awful, but they don't fit well, they slide off, so would'nt last 2 minutes when driven, just put them on for this piccy, but ordered a better set that looks like it has the strakes inside that will make sure they stick to the nuts, the cheaper ones don't have anything inside to grip the nuts!!!

piECkZg.jpg

so long as you buy the right size, they stay on. Whatever for eight quid you can't go wrong unless you are unable to remove them.............which I haven't found but will look into the Audi tool for the future

19 hours ago, mattomg said:

So they've been on for 3 months & still shine, can be removed using the plastic remover supplied & cost £8.00

Where's the problem ?

wheelnuts.jpg

No problem here :)

We had them fitted to our Box for 11 years, got many a compliment regarding the state of my nuts.

NEVER had any issues removing them, or wheels for that matter as I always grease me hubs etc. as a service item. Maybe that is another advantage of doing the servicing as DIY or getting the likes of Revolution to ACTUALLY do a service!!

Here is a pic in case anyone has forgotten what our wheels look like (cover at the 12:00 position was a dremmelled smaller cap to fit the locking nut before I removed the POS's).

zj2IGXT.jpg

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I’ve had loads of sets of those covers in various colours.

The cheaper ones are a bit useless, I found some good ones for £15, bin the removal tool and buy a Audi Vw one off eBay so much better even on the rears.

The chrome covers are the tightest fitting and if you’re bolts are very rusty, it may be an idea to remove them and rub them down a bit with some sandpaper.

My favourite finish was the smoked chrome looks very classy ?

20180119_160506

Smoked Chrome :icecream:

7 hours ago, EXY said:

No problem here :)

We had them fitted to our Box for 11 years, got many a compliment regarding the state of my nuts.

NEVER had any issues removing them, or wheels for that matter as I always grease me hubs etc. as a service item. Maybe that is another advantage of doing the servicing as DIY or getting the likes of Revolution to ACTUALLY do a service!!

Here is a pic in case anyone has forgotten what our wheels look like (cover at the 12:00 position was a dremmelled smaller cap to fit the locking nut before I removed the POS's).

zj2IGXT.jpg

Those wheels ARE the nuts! ???

• 3 weeks later...

Archived