981 GTS new member

oldgitst

Hey guys great forum,

Just a quick hi,,, picked up a 981 gts from harbour cars Saturday and should have gone the boxter route years ago.

Went down there initially to buy the 997 GTS convertible they had but ended up buying the boxter GTS.

So wanted to like the 911 more but looks and interior and the drive in the boxter kept winning me over, I was slightly disappointed In the 911 and i ever thought I would say that !

looking forward to being a member.

cheers

og

Welcome!

Nice GTS :) 

Where are you based?

If you are interested get yourself along to some of our meets, check the Events sub-forum for more details.

Oh and if you want to display pictures I would setup a Flickr or Imgur account specifically for BoXa.net and embed a link to each photo in your post - direct uploads are limited to 1MB per user in total across all photos you upload directly so that goes nowhere!  Shout if you need any clarification on this...

Cheers,

Steve.

Car looks great, these GTSs really are very nice, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. You need to get out and make the most of this fab Summer.  

I guess sometimes expectations can be difficult to meet. The 981 is obviously a generation newer than the 997 and the interior looks much more modern. I’ve never been hugely keen on 911 convertibles, (though the 997 shape in general is really nice) I think the Boxster is a much more cohesive convertable design.

exactly that in a nutshell... 

the 911 is a lovely car, but after driving them 4 times (trying to convince myself the 911 was the one I wanted) the Boxster just was too good in about every department that I just could not ignore.

the residuals on the 997 gts maybe slightly stronger over the next 4 years or so but I think the Boxster will still do reasonably well in that dept...

thanks

og

Congratulations, great looking car - you will love driving it!

I have just bought a 981 GTS too - I sold my 991 GTS and went back to a Boxster as I prefer the Boxster for days out and occasional holidays.

1 hour ago, oldgitst said:

Thanks guys, and djy, totally get why you kept the S you have... I chose this one as it was guards red and I had a guards red 1985 Carrera supersport 20 years ago just love the colour....

I sold a new mustang convertible 5.0 I had, bought an e92 v8 m3 comp pack (great great car) but just new I wanted to go back to a convertible car....

its quite a well optioned car from what I can tell although did find it strange how the original owner never specced cruise control....

Harbour was great to deal with and offered an exceptional deal when all said and done.

The other funny thing is I just found an invoice in its paperwork from Porsche Tonbridge for an extended 2 year warranty at £1500 from December 2017, I phoned my local dealership and they confirm its still under that warranty so 17 months Porsche approved warranty for nothing... good start to my ownership :-)

cheers

og

Wow, lucky you with the warranty! I did ask them if they wanted to swap my 981 S and Z4M for it, but my cars didn't quite add up to the right price! Still love my car, so I'm happy. Enjoy the new car, Guards Red is lovely.

1 hour ago, oldgitst said:

The other funny thing is I just found an invoice in its paperwork from Porsche Tonbridge for an extended 2 year warranty at £1500 from December 2017, I phoned my local dealership and they confirm its still under that warranty so 17 months Porsche approved warranty for nothing... good start to my ownership ?

Be careful here, my understanding is that an extended warranty is NOT transferable if you go through a None Porsche OPC dealer (though can be transferred private buyer to private buyer).

Yeah just read that, maybe able to get away with it but hopefully won't need it anyways,,,, got the other one to fall back on tho.... deleted picture with reg on just in case they look into it and see my post lol gives them the reg ....

cheers for the lovely comments guys

Welcome to the forum, I missed the pictures!

I know what you mean about the 911. I so want to like the 991 but I just can't, the convertible just looks camp and if the roof don't come off then its only half a car to me. I get a kick every time I open the garage door and I know it wouldn't be quite the same with a 911 which is a real pity.  

21 minutes ago, oldgitst said:

OK OK, ive set it to auto.... I like it both ways which is the only reason I asked the question....geeees

Dude, lovely car, lovely colour... :thumbsup_anim:

And follow your heart - I have mine up all the time...

Oh sorry your 'spoiler'...

Seriously you bought it to put a smile on your face, if you wanted to impress others you would have bought a Lambo. So if you want it up, keep it up... Fnark Fnark

On 8/6/2018 at 5:54 PM, oldgitst said:

Yeah just read that, maybe able to get away with it but hopefully won't need it anyways,,,, got the other one to fall back on tho.... deleted picture with reg on just in case they look into it and see my post lol gives them the reg ....

cheers for the lovely comments guys

When I bought mine, I contacted Porsche to get the existing OPC warranty transferred into my name. 

They then emailed me a warranty transfer form. I had to go back to the seller to ask him to sign it. Even he wasn't aware of this. Once done, I got an official warranty letter through the post  from Porsche Reading (HO), with my details on it. 

Oh and congrats on the lovely GTS!

Archived