Remap... Anyone had one on the 987 3.4?

toplad

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Joolzb said:

So tha's for a bone stock car @lordlee cannot believe Wayne would claim this for a modified car

He managed to pull another 30bhp from my friends old air-cooled 911 after he added race cats.

I was only referring to the 3.4 non DFI engine. Mine is stock bar filter, decat (secondary) and freer flowing exhaust. He just said the gains weren’t worth it for the M97 lump. 

On 9/3/2018 at 6:57 PM, Mark Shead said:

I use Motorworx in Marlow for a power run on the RR after I have done the mapping. 

Mark

Have you done a 3.4 DFI Mark and if so what gains did you achieve, also have you got the dyno graphs? Thanks.

7 hours ago, mneil said:

Have you done a 3.4 DFI Mark and if so what gains did you achieve, also have you got the dyno graphs? Thanks.

Not done a 3.4 yet as all my mapping has been on the 911 turbos but happy to do one and possibly a deal on it also. 

Mark

On 9/16/2018 at 11:17 PM, lordlee said:

I spoke to Wayne Schofield at ChipWizards and he told me there’s absolutely no point in mapping the 3.4 non DFI engine. As he’s a well respected tuner I took his advice and left well alone. 

He's wrong, with a free flowing exhaust and a good remaper you can gain circ 50bhp 

30 minutes ago, toplad said:

He's wrong, with a free flowing exhaust and a good remaper you can gain circ 50bhp 

I'm not sure you can get as much as 50 when you see Sharkwerks delivering 350 with a whole load of expensive bolt ons. My guess is that with a filter, catback and tune you may see 325-33 and the DME probably adjusts itself with bit more air and a free flow exit (why Wayne says don't bother).

The rest has to come from more air being rammed into the motor with an IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body.

I've certainly felt the differencee at each stage of modification. The biggest being the IPD/GT3 then the cat less headers. My setup is begging for a tune up now and I hope Wayne can prove himself wrong and do his magic.

23 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Nearly 20% power increase from a remap and zorst on a normally aspirated engine? I would be very very surprised

So would I. I’ve never seen someone get over 305bhp with changing half the pipe work but you never know what you can make a rolling road dyno look like or say 

?

Given Wayne maps almost every Porsche that is racing in the UK and has done from the days of brand new 944 Turbos racing PCGB series, he has a pretty good idea of what works.  I bet he has done most of the 996s and Boxsters racing PCGB now.  He is the epitome of a no-nonsense Northerner - so no BS and he also likes a challenge, so its not because its too hard. 

He did my old Silver Rose 944T (big exhaust, big intercooler, boost control etc) and took it from 250hp to 300hp/330lbft still with the std turbo and AFM.  He also did my much modified 3.2 (cams, equal length exhaust, 964 intake with resonance flap, 993 throttle body, motorsport MAF) and took it to 280hp/230lbft.  On the 3.2, exhaust and cams took it from 230hp to about 255-260hp (depending on the dyno), then all the intake stuff and mapping took it to 280hp.  Many £000s to get there.

My $0.02 - finding 50hp on an old school turbo requires some work, but is easy-ish, finding 50hp on an NA Porsche F6 engine requires a boatload of work.  While you can make small volumetric efficiencies on an NA engine (exhaust, cats (if applicable), intake, TB), you won't make any real hp gains unless you run more revs and hold/move the tq curve up the rev range (cams, valvetrain, blueprinting etc).  Then the multiplier of the power equation comes into effect above 5252rpm (remember (RPM * Tq) / 5252 = HP).  

If you have changed nothing physical on your engine, then the mapper can only do 2 things.  First, optimise the air/fuel ratio where there are some real benefits on old air cooled stuff but little/less scope on modern EFI engines with many sensors, decent air metering and fast processing.  Still some benefit as the OEM may be targeting economy in certain areas and may have small safety margins, but less so than in the imprecise old cars.  Secondly, advance the timing.  There is similar scope on the second, as there is a little cushion in OEM mapping to provide safety margins.  But we are talking of finding c.5hp, not 50hp.

BTW, my old 996TT needed only a chip to up the boost to 1.2bar and find 50hp and loads of tq.  Easy on a modern turbo motor once they crack the code.

I said above, "my $0.02", but if I added up the costs over the years it would actually amount to a good deal more than that.  I have the scars.  FWIW, on the 987 I have just made it sound fast (Carnewal GT) and if its feels faster then even better.

I didn't include the throttle body, which I meant to add

The 3.4S is 291 BHP, so add about 50 bhp takes it to 341BHP

So Joolzb quotes 333BHP which he seems to think it's possible , so that about circ 50 BHP?

Also I count a free flowing exhaust as high flow cats too, not just " half the pipe work"

These sort of number have been down with the proper software, throttle and exhaust. 

Cheers Peter

4 pages to get to someone whose actually had one done on the 987...hooray!

I had a look on the Revo site, but it didn't list the 987.

What is a Stage 2, would you have it done and pay for it again, all things considered ?

Can you tell me the cost please?

Thanks

Stage 1 is normally remap on a standard car. Stage 2 is normally remap with some mild mods, typically cats, manifolds and a new intake. Stage 3 might be something like head work and reprofiled cams. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 11:07 AM, toplad said:

Cheers Peter

4 pages to get to someone whose actually had one done on the 987...hooray!

I had a look on the Revo site, but it didn't list the 987.

What is a Stage 2, would you have it done and pay for it again, all things considered ?

Can you tell me the cost please?

Thanks

£799 Installed by Paragon.  Remember the weekend hoon after having the installed... it was a riot LOL

• 5 months later...

Archived