Remap... Anyone had one on the 987 3.4?

toplad

11 hours ago, Joolzb said:

How much are you expecting from software tweaks alone?

Porsche throttle back the 3.4 987 basically by starving the engine of air compared to the 911. A performance filter, 83mm 997 GT3 throttle body and IPD plenum will give you a hike in bhp and cost you a cool £1000. Then you need to balance the exhaust with the new air intake characteristics - I’ve kept the original cat back muffler and have gone for stainless decat race headers - another £600-1000 // Even before remapping, I can feel the car has much more oomph and just wants to roar, much more fun.

My next step is a rolling road remap and I’m hoping for something close to 350 as my mods are very similar to what Sharkwerks report with their RS350. When I get the results I will share with the group.

I’m planning to strip some weight out next.... battery, AC pump, seats and spoiler mech.

I'm probably going to go down the same route as you without the weight loss program, so I'm interested your mods and results. You're further down the path than me, but I was wondering if you put a front brace on your car. If not you should try it, makes a notable difference to the front end and greater value 

With regards to my expectations, as I mentioned I'm really interested in mid range gains in Power and Torque, of course  peak gains are limited, but I'm prepared to tinker and see where it goes as I bought my Boxster to mess with

The trouble is there's such variance in prices I'd like some information from people who have actually gone through the process on the 3.4 987. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought mine to tinker with also.

It will be going for a rolling road remap once my pocket recovers from the summer holidays. But it’s now far from stock so maybe not a good comparison, more of a future aim.

I haven’t got a brace, will add it to the list.

Have you tried a Sprint Booster, for the money I’d give it a go - really speeds up the throttle opening. No more horses but the car certainly wakes up and race mode is fun. When you turn it off the standard car feels slow and dull. I bought one cheap on here.

If you have a remap you may not need a sprint booster as you adjust the throttle request mapping. 

Not quite the same engine but there are Dyno plots out there of modded 3.4 987.2 knocking out around 355-375bhp. 

375 bhp in 987 would a serious weapon and great fun I think. 

There's a chap called Mrdemon on pistonheads.com who reckons he had 350bhp iirc. 

21 hours ago, rowbos said:

It was AET Motorsport - known and used by the guys at Revolution. @mneil had been remapped there and was over the moon... but they had only done manuals not PDK.

I can do pdk with the cobb software I have. 

Mark

28 minutes ago, T24RES said:

What sort of money ?

Don’t think I can put prices up here. But prices are on the Cobb Uk site and pdk prices are more. It comes with a hand controller so not the same cost as just a remap. 

Mark

11 hours ago, edc said:

If you have a remap you may not need a sprint booster as you adjust the throttle request mapping. 

Over 50% of TVR Chimaera Driver’s have adjusted the throttle request mapping. From the factory, they come with two springs and it is simple to remove one of them. The first time you drive it afterwards, the back kicks out without even trying, so it clearly works! 

49 minutes ago, Mark Shead said:

Don’t think I can put prices up here. But prices are on the Cobb Uk site and pdk prices are more. It comes with a hand controller so not the same cost as just a remap. 

Mark

@Mark Shead, if it's just your interest and you're helping members on here, not a problem.  If it is your business then please contact relevant members by private message. :) 

Cobb website is showing a peak of 15bhp on the 3.4.  Doesn't sound much but then the TB swap on the 3.2S only gives 6bhp and yet the drive is most noticeably improved.

But £900 odd is a lot to pay for approx 15bhp, especially when the same lump produces approx+30bhp/25lbftp in a 991 chassis !

With PDK you can't check on a dyno either, or should I say no-one has yet found a compatible one.  Shame you can't "try before you buy"  IF you like the way the flash feels, then buy.

24 minutes ago, Patt said:

Cobb website is showing a peak of 15bhp on the 3.4.  Doesn't sound much but then the TB swap on the 3.2S only gives 6bhp and yet the drive is most noticeably improved.

But £900 odd is a lot to pay for approx 15bhp, especially when the same lump produces approx+30bhp/25lbftp in a 991 chassis !

With PDK you can't check on a dyno either, or should I say no-one has yet found a compatible one.  Shame you can't "try before you buy"  IF you like the way the flash feels, then buy.

Yeah I gave up reading when looking at the figures quoted - and I agree 'Try before you buy' would be a decent approach I might stump up a few hundred quid and take a punt on something but £1000 is a bit rich for the gamble really.

Back in the day Revo used to do 30 day trials of their maps. They were flashed on them I think the software itself turned "off" after the time limit was reached. 

4 minutes ago, edc said:

Back in the day Revo used to do 30 day trials of their maps. They were flashed on them I think the software itself turned "off" after the time limit was reached. 

Yup.  Exactly how Mike-P used to do it.

What an excellent way to sell, especially with so many new cars not liking dyno's these days.

.  Charge a normally fee for the trial and then discount final item by trial amount should sale be completed. 

49 minutes ago, edc said:

44 minutes ago, Araf said:

Yup.  Exactly how Mike-P used to do it.

Good evening Mr Hunt.  This is your new map should you choose to accept it.  This map will self destruct in five seconds.

5 hours ago, Patt said:

Definitely expensive if just doing a remap and nothing else but if you want to go further then definitely worth the money as then I would be live mapping it to suit any set up. 

Mark

The before and after dyno results, showed a gain of 25.651 lb ft torque and 31.357bhp on my 3.4 981S at AET motorsports. Equates to 346 bhp from the standard 315bhp. The extra bhp must make a difference somewhere, no doubt above 3.5K but it's the torque that kicks you in the ass every time!

Pound for pound, it's the best £600 I've spent!

27 minutes ago, mneil said:

The before and after dyno results, showed a gain of 25.651 lb ft torque and 31.357bhp on my 3.4 981S at AET motorsports. Equates to 346 bhp from the standard 315bhp. The extra bhp must make a difference somewhere, no doubt above 3.5K but it's the torque that kicks you in the ass every time!

Pound for pound, it's the best £600 I've spent!

They are very respectable figures - which is why I went for the same thing - until the PDK difficulties reared their head!

15 minutes ago, rowbos said:

They are very respectable figures - which is why I went for the same thing - until the PDK difficulties reared their head!

You can map based on acceleration against gps to get the best out of it. 

Mark

Archived