Remap... Anyone had one on the 987 3.4?

toplad

I'm  contemplating a remap on my 3.4S.

I know softronic have great reviews, but I can't bring myself to spend a grand on a generic file upload. 

I would like input from anyone who's had one. 

Pro/cons 

Cost 

Where you had it done 

Please don't respond if you think there pointless, but have never actually had one done 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mate of mine who has an air cooled 911 recommended Wayne Schofield from Chip Wizards - says he it the guy and squeezes every last drop out of the car. He got an extra 35bhp

I think you have to book months in advance and pay up front.

I agree, mine is heavily modified now and is begging to have the software match the  hardware so with RR setup - being able to see what’s happening at different points of the throttle position will be vital for the tuner to make detailed adjustments.

When working with stock hardware, you’d expect to be able to update the software with a generic file and be within +/-5% car to car (my guesstimate).

Before I modified mine I asked about this and everyone wanted to run it on the road and charge me 400 quid. For 200, I’d have happily uploaded a known good map used before.

2 hours ago, TV8 said:

I am sure there is power to be had from a remap but less certain why people need a rolling road to achieve that for an un-modified car? 

No one mentioned rolling road tuning 

Because without a before and after measurement on a same calibration equipment you don't really know what you have got. If you're not bothered about a power increase then you wouldn't do a remap in the main but if you were interested you'd want to know what you are getting for your money. 

I had mine on the rolling road at Surrey Rolling Road centre just for a power run (295.5bhp and AF spot on)

Charlie who runs it said that it’s not worth spending money to try to get more power out of these as the increase would be minimal for a quite high outlay 

I suppose it depends on the cost. 

300 quid yes

700 quid no

I'm not really after the peak gain, more fuller mid range and less of a pronounced step at 5k revs if possible. 

11 hours ago, thanatoid said:

Having had a 299 to 380 remap on a 535d - seeing a poss 35bhp gain hardly seems worth it.

That’s the beauty of having a turbo to blow more air in to the motor. NA tuning the gains are so much smaller as ideally you need to mod the engine as well to add more power. 

I can map the 987.02 onwards with the cobb mapping software I have but it’s a much smaller market compared to the 911 turbos I do. 

Mark

I did a few basic bolt ons with my Evo and over the years it's gone from 280 brake to 400. Now settled at about 380 for reliability. The beauty of having a turbocharged car - big gains for relatively little outlay, and a noticeably quicker car. I wouldn't bother chasing 20 or 30 brake on a car already making 295, the gains just aren't noticeable enough to justify the outlay. You'd spend the same amount getting that 30 brake as I did  getting 100 on the Evo, for not enough return. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:11 PM, toplad said:

I'm not really after the peak gain, more fuller mid range and less of a pronounced step at 5k revs if possible. 

+1 for this, I'd pay for improved driveability.

Still on the lookout for a before + after tuner print out on a PDK.

5 minutes ago, toplad said:

So no one's had a remap on the 987 3.4 then? 

I had a go with mine but it failed as I have PDK and it turned out that you need a 4 Wheel Dyno to work with PDK (it got very confused!). 

@mneil has a manual 981S I think and had good results with his remap. 

If I ever get the urge I might seek out a company that can do this with a 4 Wheel Dyno...

15 minutes ago, Malcolm E Box said:

I had one on my 987 2.7 when I had it.

Couldn't really tell the difference to be honest.

Progress at last.!

Did you dyno it, what power did you start with and finish? 

20 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I had a go with mine but it failed as I have PDK and it turned out that you need a 4 Wheel Dyno to work with PDK (it got very confused!). 

@mneil has a manual 981S I think and had good results with his remap. 

If I ever get the urge I might seek out a company that can do this with a 4 Wheel Dyno...

Who did you go to? I think there is a Dyno mode on the PDK software. Most Dyno companies won't be able to switch it on though as it needs the Porsche tester such as PIWIS. Ive seen this on the Dyno ever since 2012. 

4 minutes ago, toplad said:

Progress at last.!

It was a long time ago now but it only added something like 20 BHP. It was a test for a friend who owns a garage and he was starting remapping at the time.

Honestly I couldn't recommend remapping a NA Porsche engine. They are very near the limit in terms of HP anyway. The extra that was added really made next to no difference on the 987 I owned.

Remapping anything with a turbo is a different story. Can't wait until my 718 is out of warranty. 100 extra HP here we come.........

4 minutes ago, edc said:

Who did you go to? I think there is a Dyno mode on the PDK software. Most Dyno companies won't be able to switch it on though as it needs the Porsche tester such as PIWIS. Ive seen this on the Dyno ever since 2012. 

It was AET Motorsport - known and used by the guys at Revolution. @mneil had been remapped there and was over the moon... but they had only done manuals not PDK.

14 minutes ago, toplad said:

Progress at last.!

Dyno isn't everything.  Surely the experience you get when you drive is more important than pub figures?

I had a ZX9R years ago.  After it was dynojetted it gave more power on the rollers and a much smoother delivery - cutting out the dip at 5k for emissions.  Very linear but not as much fun.

I don't believe the power is anywhere near the limit on a Boxster.  If the 3.8 can give 355bhp then a Boxster should get close (and still be emissions compliant)  but will probably need a change of cam profiles, plus inlet and exhaust changes.

Not sure if @Mike-P still gets notifications but he put a Revo map on his 986 and may still be able to map Porsches.

If you look in the 981 I posted a thread 

It shows before and after dyno results for 10% increase all round . Max bhp and torque at 6400, the torque is the real noticeable difference, agrees Gareth at revolution. The 911 has the same engine but achieve s it's max at 7400. It is so much more tractable, AND ENJOYABLE!

How much are you expecting from software tweaks alone?

Porsche throttle back the 3.4 987 basically by starving the engine of air compared to the 911. A performance filter, 83mm 997 GT3 throttle body and IPD plenum will give you a hike in bhp and cost you a cool £1000. Then you need to balance the exhaust with the new air intake characteristics - I’ve kept the original cat back muffler and have gone for stainless decat race headers - another £600-1000 // Even before remapping, I can feel the car has much more oomph and just wants to roar, much more fun.

My next step is a rolling road remap and I’m hoping for something close to 350 as my mods are very similar to what Sharkwerks report with their RS350. When I get the results I will share with the group.

I’m planning to strip some weight out next.... battery, AC pump, seats and spoiler mech.

Archived