Installed a home made lower brace

toplad

This brace goes just in front of the gearbox between the bottom of the sub frames

Its stiffens the back end of the car up nicely 

Bought 20mm of aluminium rod from ebay. Chopped it down to 24 inch, with holes 22.25 inch centre (more or less) With the fabrication it took about an hour. 

A cheap and worthwhile mod, when pushing on the back end can start to bob a bit, with the lower brace this is eliminated, car feels a lot tighter 

More info here

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10817-driving-impressions-lower-stress-bar.html

20180924_182212-490x1008.jpg

@Tony Daniel made a few of these a few years ago basically copying the Pedro's garage one. I've had one on my car since then and agree for a few pounds a worth while and barely noticeable visually mod. 

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Is this a form of anti-roll bar?

I would say no, more of a chassis strengthening brace. I fitted something not to dissimilar to the front chassis of my MX5 many years ago. Are the bolt holes already there & any pics of it installed?

The braces goes in the existing holes and you'll require 2 x 50mm x 10mm bolts. 

You can use the existing nuts 

The whole back of the car is tighter, less rattles too. 

It's exactly the same as this 

http://pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoBrace.html

20180926_135802-1612x784-403x196.jpg

There's a couple of pics in my 550 running report of anybody is interested. Quite honestly though there's not a lot to see that's different from the photo above. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, toplad said:

This brace goes just in front of the gearbox between the bottom of the sub frames

Its stiffens the back end of the car up nicely 

Bought 20mm of aluminium rod from ebay. Chopped it down to 24 inch, with holes 22.25 inch centre (more or less) With the fabrication it took about an hour. 

A cheap and worthwhile mod, when pushing on the back end can start to bob a bit, with the lower brace this is eliminated, car feels a lot tighter 

More info here

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/10817-driving-impressions-lower-stress-bar.html

20180924_182212-490x1008.jpg

Why have I never heard of this before?  What a great idea.

To be clear, you need a 20mm diameter x 24 inch bar?

Thanks

I can't take credit unfortunately, I pinched it from the U.S site in the link

You'll need,

1. 700mm rod

2. 15mm socket and wrench

3. 50mm x 10mm bolts x 2

4. A decent file

5. 10mm drill bit and drill

6. hammer 

I'd go with the 19mm bar, slightly easier to wiggle in and stiff enough

There is a slight difference between the 986 and 987 measurements of 3 mm hole to hole. Mine's a 987, so I followed the method below

I bought a piece of rod 700mm long and measured 22.25 inch centre to centre, then took 3 mm off the centre measurement(987 models only). I then added 30mm on each side of the hole, so you have plenty of aluminum past the hole, I don't know the exact length as I used this method, but it's just over 24 inch and should not be too long as it won't fit. 

I chopped it down and marked 65mm from each end with a pencil and started to file the rod flat on one side, (you need a good file for this part, order one from Ebay, a Bastard file, not joking with name), Spin it over and file the other side flat , repeat this on the other end.

Then I drilled a 10mm hole at my marked centres (22.25 minus the 3 mm).

You have to drill very accurately and straight or it will not fit. If your hole is slightly off, you can widen it a bit, but the idea is it drops straight in without any hammering. If you have to widen one of the holes it's not a problem. The reason being , the aluminium is soft metal and the bolt is pulled into the bar a bit and locks into place when you nip it up, so it won't move when tight. My drive slopes so I don't even have to jack the car up and the nuts and bolts can be reached with a bit of a stretch

If you have a 986, its exactly the same but your centres are 22.25 inch

Don't try and smash the bolts in if you've not drilled it correctly, widen one of the holes, whacking it could effect you alignment 

1 hour ago, Jubal said:

I like a mod. Can I please clarify...is the notch sized to hold the bolt head captive? I can't quite tell from these photos.

Yes,...probably not required if you use a longer bolt but it would be difficult to get any type of spanner in there. I did  consider an Allen bolt but never tested it.

8 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Yes,...probably not required if you use a longer bolt but it would be difficult to get any type of spanner in there. I did  consider an Allen bolt but never tested it.

Thanks, that's what I needed. Plus, I'm not an engineer and want to be sure...is the 987.1 measurement 22.25" minus 3mm centre to centre? Ordered my bar last night. Off to a mate's well equipped shed to get it organised as soon as I can.

You can use the aluminium triangle undertray of your car to set out your hole centres, this is what Porsche use to brace the subframe. It can be a pig to get on and off depending on whether the car is sat on its wheels or not as the frame can flex slightly, hence the brace . The hole centres are roughly 562mm as a guide.

3 hours ago, Jubal said:

Thanks, that's what I needed. Plus, I'm not an engineer and want to be sure...is the 987.1 measurement 22.25" minus 3mm centre to centre? Ordered my bar last night. Off to a mate's well equipped shed to get it organised as soon as I can.

Yes, centre to centre 

Or just measure the blots which stick through the plate and are easy to get to 

Sounds a great mod, can you buy it anywhere or does it have to be home made?

I ask as I am not good with metalwork.

As above you can buy it in the US from Pedro Garage but expect that is a very expensive way to do it. Alternatively you might ask nicely of somebody else already doing it to make and sell you one. Kindly @Tony Daniel did this a few years back. 

• 2 weeks later...

90% of the time you won't notice it's there. It's only that 10% or less when you are really on it through some corners. 

Archived