Oil warm up time

Duffy3074

Hi

Anybody noticed an inordinate lag in oil getting up to anywhere near the correct temperature?

It can take 10 -15 miles before the oil is up over 70 or 80 degrees. I'm aware that ambient obviously affects the time but it takes forever on the 981. 

I'm wondering whether I've got an oil thermostat issue and whether it's overcooling. 

:)

I've noticed it takes longer than expected, well at least I remember thinking "is it not warm enough yet!"

Will take a more specific note to time and temp and report back.

My 981 takes about 15 minutes to reach 70-80 oil temp, no difference whether I’m cruising at 60 or at town speeds.  Water temp is up in about 5-7 minutes by comparison.  I think that’s normal as my first 981 was the same.

Thanks for the info, sounds like it's about par for the course. 

Water temp is fine, it gets there quickly enough, but oil, which is arguably the more important temperature from a longevity point of view, takes forever to get to the 'give it some beans without a guilty conscience' zone. 

It's quite frustrating!

;)

maybe a stupid question, but before I actually drive the car, I let it warm up until the revs drop to normal idle. Is this right for me to move off? Or should I give it longer? Cheers!

39 minutes ago, Adamsky said:

maybe a stupid question, but before I actually drive the car, I let it warm up until the revs drop to normal idle. Is this right for me to move off? Or should I give it longer? Cheers!

From the user manual: 

Do not warm up the engine when stationary. Drive off immediately. Avoid high revs and full throttle until the engine has reached operating temperature.

I always drive off but very gently for the first mile - then drive normally (no full throttle or high revs until oil is hot).

oh sh!t, I have spent too much time with turbo cars lol

Leaving in stationary to warm up does not warm up the transmission fluids - so is always a caution, even on turbo cars.

By the time I've put my seatbelt on, maybe also switched to my sunglasses, switched on sports exhaust,  and reversed off the drive the cold start procedure has finished - it really is only about 20secs.

Yes oil temp takes ages to get to optimum having checked last night and this morning. Good job most are usually in housing estates or business parks and can't boot it from stone cold.

10 minutes ago, Patt said:

Leaving in stationary to warm up does not warm up the transmission fluids - so is always a caution, even on turbo cars.

By the time I've put my seatbelt on, maybe also switched to my sunglasses, switched on sports exhaust,  and reversed off the drive the cold start procedure has finished - it really is only about 20secs.

Yes oil temp takes ages to get to optimum having checked last night and this morning. Good job most are usually in housing estates or business parks and can't boot it from stone cold.

I like the fact you put the sports exhaust on straight away :) Good to know that I can do this on my drive now to - was worried it may damage something.... thanks for the info guys!

4 minutes ago, Adamsky said:

I like the fact you put the sports exhaust on straight away :) Good to know that I can do this on my drive now to - was worried it may damage something.... thanks for the info guys!

PSE is fine.  How else would your neighbours know you are leaving ?

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

PSE is fine.  How else would your neighbours know you are leaving ?

haha - just when they thought I could leave quieter after selling my Ducati, I now find out I can use PSE from start :) 

This has always been the case with Porsche, quite frustrating really as I work 13 miles from home and that's usually the time it takes to get fully up to temp so can finally give it a few revs just as I arrive at work, great!!

A bit quicker in summer but not that much!!

Archived