Opinions on a 987

Khaa1329

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first Porsche, I have previously owned a TTR and Z4. Will be a daily driver in London so ideally want the PDK box for ease.

I am a keen on a Gen 2 car, flexible with options.

I wanted to get opinions on this car I have seen,  it's high mileage but I don't do many miles myself so unlikely to clock this up quickly. I am just unsure on such a high mileage car and issues with the gearbox that could costly. 

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-50786205/?i=37&m=ds

Thanks for looking.

Personally, I wouldn't want the PDK without Sports Chrono, which gives you the sport/sport+ button options, that speeds up gear change and throttle response. 

At that mileage, I'd want confirmation that both transmission fluids have been changed.

I'd also want confirmation that the issues identified in the last MOT have been rectified.

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Headlamp cleaning device inoperative (4.1.6 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Offside Front Coolant leak ()
  • Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))

If your budget stretches then there are lower mileage, newer cars out there. Aside from the transmission fluids (probably around £600 at official Porsche centres) there are the usual plugs coil packs discs and pads, belt items. Cheaper if you go independent but wherever you go budget £1000 plus for deferred service items if they haven’t been done. 

Soon starts to get up to the 17 ish mark where there are lower mileage cars (not that they will necessarily be too much better service wise )

Buy the best you can afford. Not the cheapest you can find is a general guideline. 

But it’s a nice looking car and a decent spec ...... 

looks tidy, but mileage is right on the cusp of dropping it into undesirable to many - bet its not 99k and is actually over 100k when you go to say it - its a physiological barrier for many buyers and would push the price down. 1 owner is a positive though as the chances are they will have looked after it to get to that mileage. 

Its cheap for a Gen 2 PDK S - sport chrono is desirable but in reality i rarely use Sport+ on the road as its too harsh. Options on Boxsters are all over the place so difficult to really say what is good and what is bad - personal preference at the end of the day

Put a personal plate on it and no one will guess the age and mileage - if its a worry, get an inspection by a reputable Porsche Indy before buying. 

3 hours ago, Yardie said:

Personally, I wouldn't want the PDK without Sports Chrono, which gives you the sport/sport+ button options, that speeds up gear change and throttle response. 

At that mileage, I'd want confirmation that both transmission fluids have been changed.

I'd also want confirmation that the issues identified in the last MOT have been rectified.

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Headlamp cleaning device inoperative (4.1.6 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Offside Front Coolant leak ()
  • Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))

You can add the Sports Chrono functionality (no central timing clock) at an OPC - not sure of cost though.  

And I agree - PDK without SC options is definitely not ideal.  

I budgeted for some work doing after i bought my 987.

In the end i replaced the:

gearbox & engine oils + filter

discs/pads/sensors/bolts + B.fluid flush

air & pollen filters

drivebelt

coil packs & plugs

B-Pillar roof trim

Replacement Bosch s5 battery

.....myself.

Provided you have a few tools and cash for OE quality parts it was rather straightfoward ..fairly basic really compared with a Lotus i once had.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:15 PM, marts500 said:

I budgeted for some work doing after i bought my 987.

In the end i replaced the:

gearbox & engine oils + filter

discs/pads/sensors/bolts + B.fluid flush

air & pollen filters

drivebelt

coil packs & plugs

B-Pillar roof trim

Replacement Bosch s5 battery

.....myself.

B-pillar roof trim - I'm impressed - really fiddly job!

1 hour ago, frozen said:

B-pillar roof trim - I'm impressed - really fiddly job!

Quite fiddly.....another was the elastic on both sides of the inner roof sections that pulls in the sides when raising the roof so it stays inside the rain channels.The elastic stretches so you have to in theory move the anchor point along to the  next hole back.However mine on both sides kinda disintegrated.I had to sew in brand new holed elastic strips.....that job nearly drove me doo-lally.

Just had a coolant leak (replacement pipework) and exhaust flange replaced on an 08 987.1 fixed - came in at just over £800, air con and coils also being done next week. This is my first Porsche and I had no idea what to expect (and not mechanically minded anyway), so got a pre-purchase inspection done. Purchase price goes down with the evidence and you know what to expect in the coming months...

£315 road tax? Mine was £540 when I got around to purchasing it... Still, worth it for the smile factor when you make the engine sing.

What I do is sorn mine through winter when I dont use it. If its particularly mild one month I just tax it and pay direct debit cancelling again the following month. Its easy to do and can save you a few quid if like me you have some scottish blood in you!!!

Archived