986S (3.2) v 987.1 (2.7)

Jason986S

45 minutes ago, frozen said:

So OP what are you going for! Do tell please?

I still don’t know?! 

I’ve uet to drive a 2.7, but I do feel like I would regret not buying an S.

I’ve stumbled on a quite nice and very well priced 987.2 pdk 3.4 that is very nice, just not local. Not what I was considering but is another option. 

50 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I still don’t know?! 

I’ve stumbled on a quite nice and very well priced 987.2 pdk 3.4 that is very nice, just not local. Not what I was considering but is another option. 

Thumbs up from me on the 987.2 PDK option Jason.  Have you driven one yet?

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

I still don’t know?! 

Sounds interesting.....?

I can recommend the 3.4 PDK, I was out in mine yesterday and it was fantastic. I haven’t had a lot of spare time so it was the first drive I had in for a while and I forgotten how go it really is 👍

PDK- Pretty Dam Kool😂

@rowbos @Lonewolfgjp nope, been quite ill over the last week, so haven’t driven or viewed anything. A manual gearbox was all i originally considered, but when people say how good and quick the pdk is, it would be mad to discount it completely. 

On another jote, I have been offered a 3.4 Cayman S, 75k, chrono, pasm, cocoa interior on 19” Carrera 5 spokes. For a sniff over £10k. Tempting on the price alone.

5 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

@rowbos @Lonewolfgjp nope, been quite ill over the last week, so haven’t driven or viewed anything. A manual gearbox was all i originally considered, but when people say how good and quick the pdk is, it would be mad to discount it completely. 

On another jote, I have been offered a 3.4 Cayman S, 75k, chrono, pasm, cocoa interior on 19” Carrera 5 spokes. For a sniff over £10k. Tempting!

Ah. Get well soon mate!

Choices choices... 🤔

13 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Man if you can afford a 7.2S I’d leap at it. Colour ok for you? There must be a catch; mileage?

Both the .2 S (black with 76k) and Cayman S (silver with 75k) aren’t the right colours, but I maybe need to buy the right car not the right colour. There might be a catch on both in person, shall see.

• 4 weeks later...

I’d go 987 over 986s

Performance is close but 987 is a much nicer interior and more modern car all round

the 986’s are getting on and the cars cost a lot to run so I’d go newer

the 987 was a good evolution and most seem to like the improvements over the slightly more raw 986. Having owned both I’d say the improvements are slightly less raw but significantly nicer looking inside and out so worth the trade off

the 987 2.7 engine is most reliable of the lot especially the m97 245bhp found with the 6 speed variant. Tax is annoying but the engine is the safest of all as cylinder wall is too thick to score and ims doesn’t fail on m97

depends what you are looking for, but an original 986 S with low mileage, decent history and no mods must be pretty much near the bottom of the depreciation curve - pick the right one and you might even make a little money over time.

The 987 still has its depreciation curve to follow.

either car will be a good choice though, if you get it right! ;)

I’ve had a 3.2 S 986 and it blew up (as some of you well know). It was well priced and very well restored and cared for by me and 3 previous enthusiast owners. Just unlucky.

But on that basis. I don’t really want another 986 as any other wouldnt be as clean or to such a good spec I don't think. I would always compare it to my old one and have engine failure in the back of mine mind.

I like to move forward so will likely go for a 987 in some form. This thread was to determine if I was discarding the 2.7 as being equal/less to drive than the pace of my old 3.2 S 986. But I do think i NEED an S to feel satisfied/content.

I was settled on a 3.4 Cayman S for a while, but after viewing a few, I’ve relaxed the search and will just see what pops up in December/Jan/feb as I may nab a bargain and more might come on the market after a cold hard on the wallet Xmas and winter. With the current owner needing to shift their pride and joy. We shall see.

I still really want a red one 😆

12 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I’d rather it had 3 times the mileage and was half the price (which would be realistic). Hard top would never be used either.

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Bl**dy hell! 12 grand for an OLD 986 just cos it's low mileage. I'm with Jason on this one and i'd be worried it's not been driven enough!

I can't comment on the merits of one over the other as I haven't lived with a 987 long term. I guess a lot depends on what criteria are most important. When my first 986 died I bought another one. None of the perceived benefits of a 987 were of any real value to me, extra room, more modern looks, newer car etc. I like the 986 as the original Boxster and with my car being a second or third car I don't need or want the newer technology (which quite honestly is all out of date in a 987 anyway). My first 986 was very well sorted and when I bought my second it wasn't obviously quite as good. Still it's all part of the fun and journey for me. Personally I would want a 987 Spyder but the roof always seems a compromise a touch too far. Any other 987 would need a bunch of mods like I've done to both my 986 and I just don't want to do that a third time for hat is effectively the same car. The other good thing about buying relatively cheap is the abandon with which you can drive the car. I bet I am faster in my 986 and have more fun than many in a GT3 :D

Archived