986S (3.2) v 987.1 (2.7)

Jason986S

I am Porsche hunting and I’m curious to know how a 987.1 2.7 compares to a 986S 3.2?!

Obviously the 987 is a newer differently more modern styled car, but i’m more keen to know how they compare in feel/performance/handling but mainly in comprable pace as “similar” bhp. 

Anyone owned or driven both and can comment?

Not suggesting I specifically want a 2.7, 3.2 or even a 3.4 (the big boys that I have been shopping/viewing) but wondering if I’m wrongly dismissing the 987 2.7 (like @Guvs car) just because I’ve had a 3.2 S 986 before.

Can't give you alot of detail Jason but as you know i have the 987.1 2.7 and i have had a 986s as a courtesy car from the local indy a couple of times. Have to say i prefer mine in all respects. For me the 987 is a big improvement both externally and internally with a more modern feel, though i understand alot of enthusiasts like the original 986 look. Driving wise my 987 also feels alot tighter and i was surprised the first time i drove the 986 as if anything it felt more sluggish than mine or at least no quicker.  I guess the only way you'll know is if you try a 2.7 for yourself.

I’d be interested to know of any of you guys have driven the 987 2.7 and the 3.2 I’m also in the market for a Boxster, but I’ve been dismissing the 2.7 in favour of the 3.2. There are plenty 2.7 on the market well within my budget, but I’m really wanting the 3.2 but having not driven either like the OP am I wrong to dismiss it?

Cheers for that, I’m pretty close to pulling the pin on 3.2 though 😬

Having come up from a 986S then a 987.1S and now finally my RS60, all improvements on the last in my opinion, I would not go back to a 986, just that bit more room and refinement in a 987 ,that is defiantly noticeable, as for engine size the 2.7 is plenty quick enough, just maybe have to stir the gearbox a little more, rather than having that bit extra torque.

Interesting discussion the old 2.7 vs 3.2/3.4

I ve seen the car that Jason is talking about and it really is fantastic looking and sounding car. It is also the Sport Edition, so it has a nice spec and the killer body kit.

I agree with Meno and think a test drive would answer all of his questions, I’ve never driven a 2.7 although I have been in one. We were only on normal roads so it wasn’t much of a test but in that situation felt the same as my 987s.

I have always had a soft spot for the Sport Edition and having met Guvs and his car I would definitely give it strong consideration 👍👍

Can’t be sure about Boxster but based on my experience of the different TVRs, the entry ones (that are on spec) are more fun on the road than the very fast ones as you can drive them harder and they do stay with the pack. 

If you do track days or go seriously fast on the road, you will want the larger car. Also, there is the more emotional side of owning the top of the range or fastest option, even if it isn’t used, which only you will know and have to live with. 

I regret up-grading my TVR from the 4.0 and I am happy with the 2.7 99.9% of the time. 

It's totally subjective. The bigger engined cars are faster, who can say how important that will be to you.

A 986 3.2 feels a fair bit torquier than a 987 2.7, so the performance is a little more effortless. The 2.7 needs revving hard, which some will like, others won't.

987 feels more grown up overall. Again, some will like that, others will prefer the 986, which has more feedback and immediate driving character.

For me the perfect combo would look like a gen 2 987 3.4 Cayman and have the performance and chassis competence of that car but sound and feel more like an early 3.2 986, bar the body flex of the 986!

Interesting points made above, I've had a 986 2.7 and a 987 2.7 over the years and to be very honest I've never felt that I needed any extra speed/power to have a spirited drive on our roads, granted the 3.2/3.4's will leave me slightly behind on motorways but that's boaring driving anyway, soon catch up on the B roads, ask @John T , don't ask @fat haggis he thinks I always use 6th because of economy.

Seriously thought, me personally the looks of a 987 (SE) outweigh the little bit of extra power you get from a 986/987 3.2/3.4 

Guvs.

@Guvs good summary and observation. I don’t think I ever used 6th gear in my 986S unless on a motorway which i probably only drove on half a dozen time in 18 months!

I think I need to drive a 2.7 at some point to kill my curiosity. As said, the SE’s extra appearance does swing half a dozen bhp into the balance! Long as a 2.7 doesn’t leave me feeling like I need more after the 3.2 S 986, I think I’d be ok!

had two 986S (gen 1 and gen 2) way back - both 3.2, and now have a 987.2 - 2.9. on paper the 987.2 has slightly more bhp - and drive wise, there's not a lot in it in my view.

agree with Guvs, you can have plenty of fun in either, and on our B-roads, there's nothing in it between them

For belting down A roads/motorways you might notice - but you don't buy a boxster for that do you :-)

The only time I ever found myself lacking straight line power/speed was chasing @j0hn up out the top of cheddar gorge. In the twisties I felt I had all the confidence, grip and power delivery I needed to keep up with his 987S Cayman 3.4. Straight lines are not half as fun as the winding B road twists and turns we’re fortunate to have at our disposal. I can imagine on a numbers/feel comparison in a straight , a 3.2 986S and a 987 2.7 feel very similar (ar*e in the seat). The roomier modern cabin and design should make the 987 generation feel that bit nicer though. A noisy exhaust and roof down will sure exaggerate any sense of occasion, look at the baby mx5 for example. So almost renders the dozen bhp irrelevant maybe?

6 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

What tax rate do you pay @Guvs out of curiosity?

Mine is in the higher bracket £540, as Jimmy said above the extra is only a few tanks full and you have the option of splitting it up into 2 x 6 monthly

Guvs. 

Archived