Another Dilemma

D_G

Gents, I’ve just spoken to another car dealer with a similar specced Boxster to the one I’ve put a deposit down on. The car I’ve seen has 10k miles less, has less owners (2) just been serviced and has brembo discs and pads front and rear just fitted. MOT until July next year, it’s up at £700 more, but I can stretch to that and not have as much in the pot for any maintenance. 

Would you go for this one? I really don’t like messing folks about, but it does seem a better deal.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers

9 minutes ago, D_G said:

Gents, I’ve just spoken to another car dealer with a similar specced Boxster to the one I’ve put a deposit down on. The car I’ve seen has 10k miles less, has less owners (2) just been serviced and has brembo discs and pads front and rear just fitted. MOT until July next year, it’s up at £700 more, but I can stretch to that and not have as much in the pot for any maintenance. 

Would you go for this one? I really don’t like messing folks about, but it does seem a better deal.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers

This car has 10k less miles than the one you've put the deposit down on?

You might struggle to get your deposit back.

Just looked and it was mainly tyres and bulbs? What are the under trays fitted relate to??  

3 minutes ago, D_G said:

Just looked and it was mainly tyres and bulbs? What are the under trays fitted relate to??  

boxsters have 2 undertrays fitted , a lot have lost them over the years , mot history makes it looked if its not been looked after properly mate . 

Ahh gotcha. What do you think about the history? Like I say the MOT fails were mainly tyres, and bulbs. Early stuff like the ball joints were 4/5 years ago and should have been sorted by now. The car has full service history and £600 has just been spent on brakes and pads.

2 hours ago, D_G said:

Ahh gotcha. What do you think about the history? Like I say the MOT fails were mainly tyres, and bulbs. Early stuff like the ball joints were 4/5 years ago and should have been sorted by now. The car has full service history and £600 has just been spent on brakes and pads.

History looks ok. With exception of one the tyres must have been replaced. That one clearly needs replacing now. History of tyre wear also suggests alignment needs checking; i would want that doing before purchase. It has new brakes but then that is covered by higher price. Personally wouldn't be bothered by lower mileage and i would go for the one you already put the deposit on (but of course i am biased to Atlas/ Stone Grey combos!). Ultimately choice is yours.

3 hours ago, D_G said:

I reckon fails on tyres are always a sign of being maintained on the cheap. Maybe the sort who when they get it serviced ignore the recommended maintenance and leave it to see if it fails the MOT. New pads and discs are pretty minor stuff, there may well be plenty of other stuff to bring it upto A1.

Unless you've got something in writing saying the deposit is refundable (what would be the point of it then?), I'd assume you would lose that if you withdrew from the deal unless the deposit exceeded likely costs of reselling. How much was the deposit?

I'd go with the original, 10k mileage is nothing if well maintained.

Yeah I’m still going over to look and drive the original. Thanks again for the input gents, appreciate it. 👍🏼

I’ll be setting off soon, is there anything specific I should be looking at?

Lots really, 

Check service history is to the correct schedule 

Check brakes have actually been done 

Tire wear

Everything works in cockpit, alarm fobs, both keys etc

Oil leaks under car, particularly the far side of gear box when viewed from rear 

Operation of roof

The list goes on 

Got it guys! What a drive!!! Needs a new tyre and the brake discs really could do with replacing. I’m going to get my mechanic to check them out. But price was right and he gave me a generous price on trade in. Got a bit of coin stashed away, but on the whole I like it!

27 minutes ago, D_G said:

Got it guys! What a drive!!! Needs a new tyre and the brake discs really could do with replacing. I’m going to get my mechanic to check them out. But price was right and he gave me a generous price on trade in. Got a bit of coin stashed away, but on the whole I like it!

Cool, now we need photos :)  

Will do lads, been out all day driving it, just this minute got home and it’s dark now. I’ll put some up tomorrow. 

Well done, it took me day to get any photo's up when i bought my 986, didn't have any time i was driving it all the time.

Guvs.

Archived