Boxster 986

charlieboy2608

I can not disagree with what Sazzy says as its oft quoted in literature and pricing guides, however my 986.2 or "facelift" Boxster was first registered in October 2002, so the change point is not hard and fast.

It's a slightly strange question to ask, what exactly are you trying to identify OP?

The facelift card as stated are MY2003. This coincides with the start of the 52 plate reg. Those cars with clear lights as standard also come with the facelifted bumpers. That should help identifying the cars easier. They also have a glovebox. 

23 minutes ago, edc said:

It's a slightly strange question to ask, what exactly are you trying to identify OP?

The facelift card as stated are MY2003. This coincides with the start of the 52 plate reg. Those cars with clear lights as standard also come with the facelifted bumpers. That should help identifying the cars easier. They also have a glovebox. 

A car I'm going to look at is early 2002 but has clear indicator lenses-hence my confusion BUT....

After further discussions with the vendor it would appear it has no glovebox or a glass rear screen so i assume its a series 1....?-(with clear indicator lense upgrade)

2 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

A car I'm going to look at is early 2002 but has clear indicator lenses-hence my confusion BUT....

After further discussions with the vendor it would appear it has no glovebox or a glass rear screen so i assume its a series 1....?-(with clear indicator lense upgrade)

They may be OEM Litronics.  

Alternatively someone has swapped clear indicator units into the car or removed the amber element in the original lamp.

My own 986 was registered in December 2001 but is a 2002 chassis - it came with Litronics as specified by the first owner. The registration year isn't (as has previously been said) a definitive  guide as Porsche's model years do not coincide with UK plate changes or even the calendar year.

If the car is registered early 2002 then it definitely won't be a 2003 model year car. Sounds most likely to be a pre facelift car with the later lights. 

You will soon find out when you turn them on. As standard they come with the washer but you can for the litronics without the washers if you so wished. 

13 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Thanks edc....I appreciate how litronics work as my other car has them...I believe the headlights are sprayed every 5th-7th turn that you use the windscreen washers.

I wish - you need to push the wiper stalk forward when the headlights are on to activate the lamp washers.  In that respect they work just like a classic windscreen washer jet - on demand.

Guess it's possible that the later 986 facelift cars have the automated headlight washer feature, but I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, map said:

I wish - you need to push the wiper stalk forward when the headlights are on to activate the lamp washers.  In that respect they work just like a classic windscreen washer jet - on demand.

Guess it's possible that the later 986 facelift cars have the automated headlight washer feature, but I have no idea.

Well from the picture i've been sent it hasn't got them and to be fair its one less thing to go wrong...actually 3 less things if you add in the price of the bulbs and the starter ballasts!

Vehicle Identification No. WP0ZZZ98Z2U641375
Model Boxster S
Date of production  
Year 2002
Sales type 986321
Engine Code 9621
Transmission Code G8620
Axle drive 6S
Equipment  
Roof color  
Carpet color code  
Exterior color / Paint Code /
Seat combination no.  
Number of Z-Orders  

008 986 S 3,2 litres displacement
  016 "Standard" package
  061 Version for Great Britain
  071 EU country version
  130 Control and indications in English lettering
  197 Stronger battery
  198 Starter 1.7 kW
  211 Licence plate holder version 3
  219 Differential
  271 Door mirror -aspherical- driver's side,
electrically adjustable and heatable
  273 Door mirrors,
electrically adjustable and heatable
  274 Vanity mirror illuminated
  369 Standard seat, left
  370 Standard seat, right
  424 CD storage unit
  436 3-spoke airbag steering wheel
  439 Electrical
hood operation
  441 radiopreinstallation
  446 Concave wheel centers
with full-colour Porsche Crest
  466 Rear foglamp, right
  480 6-speed manual transmission
  490 -MY 01 sound system
MY 02 sound system Harmann analog
  492 Headlamps for left-hand traffic
  534 Theft security system
  536 Alarm siren and tilt sensor
  539 Mechanical seat-height adjustment, left
  540 Mechanical seat-height adjustment, right
  551 Wind deflector
  562 Airbag, driver's side and front passenger's side
  563 Side airbag
  566 Front fog lights, white
  567 Windscreen tinted, upper part
darker coloured
  571 Activated charcoal filter
  573 Air conditioner
  581 Center console, front
  584 Storage compartment
  602 Center high-mounted stop light
  620 Electronic accelerator
  651 Electric window opener
  657 Power steering
  659 on-board computer
  661 Stricter emission-control concept
  689 Preperation of cd autochanger
  695 CD radio "Porsche CDR 22"
  946 Seat covers, front, leather/leather/leatherette
  XRB 18-inch Sport Classic II wheel
  XSC Porsche Crest embossed in headrest

30 minutes ago, T911UK said:

As you can see from the print out of your cars spec, its a 2002 model year with standard headlights so they would have been ambers from the factory

Thank you for your help.

From the spec there is no mention of heated seats?

3 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Thank you for your help.

From the spec there is no mention of heated seats?

have you got a link tot advert, we can pretty much tell you anything just by looking at the car.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:47 AM, charlieboy2608 said:

Can I ask if your S was a series 2 based around other people's responses?

It was indeed a series 2 or facelift with glass rear window, glovebox ,clear lights etc

Archived