Brand spanking new 986 for free!

Mr96er

Yeah, 

thst will get the attention of some. So here’s how you can turn your old 986 into a brand new one for free or possibly even make a profit! 

I was getting a little tired of my 986 in wet wintry conditions and yearning for the California canyon roads I’ve promised myself in March. So I bought a cheap as chips Celica Gen 7 and I’ve driven 600+ miles in it over the week of the holidays instead of driving the 986. 

Now for those who know my car. It is a less than pristine “hard charging” example. She exists to be brutally put to work on B Road enjoyment and is by no means a garage queen.

Today however, I decided to bring her out into the world on some fun roads near me. My Celica fun is almost at a close. She’s sold and arrangements will be made for collection tomorrow. I’ve truly enjoyed every minute with her and that includes the punctured tire (nothing to do with the car) and the t cutting and the clay baring and the vacuuming and everything else. I drove this car 380 miles round trip to my folks for Christmas. It’s a hoot...

...but today I rediscovered my 986 like it was the first time I’d ever driven one!! 

The brake pedal is so hard. Wooden almost! What the foot! ..oh yeah... that’s normal in a race derived car.

the handling is crisp Soooo crisp!! Damn!! The steering weight? Perfection in every corner and pin sharp in a straight line when it counts!! 

Damn if it doesn’t make a squeek or creak. It’s right and together... 

then I look around at the interior. Such a simple but quality finish! Great carpet even!! 

Damn if I could not be any more excited, maybe more so than the day I picked up my first as I still had nerves about it then. Now I know more and fast progress on back roads is grin factor 10!! 

If you don’t regularly drive inferior cars, try it! It’s like a lease of life on the old girl! 

I agree 100% Loz.

Same feeling after driving my SQ5 for weeks on end, then getting into the 981 for a few drives, believe it or not!

Has me questioning why I am thinking of changing it just because I can....?

Nothing else comes close to the Boxster for sheer driving enjoyment, unless you are talking 458 money - which I'm not! 

Cheers Rob, 

when I met you you had the finest looking Boxster I’ve ever seen, before or since. Seemed to drive pretty damn well too! 

Since you began to swap around you’ve never seemed quite so satisfied. On the one hand I want to ask, should you see if you could buy your old one back? (Imagine that as a keeper story!) 

On the other hand I would ask, is the one you’ve got still more than enough? and is it Simply our frame of reference that changes how we feel about them?

The 981S I have now is actually a better specced car than the GTS I had previously.

It goes just as well and looks equally stunning, so to answer your question, no I wouldn't buy my GTS back.

Although I have noted interest in the new 718 Spyder, as long as it has the 4.0 litre flat 6 engine and is available with PDK.

Failing that, I think the current steed will remain in my stable!

Definitely fixing my environment to let the car bloom and grow mate!

Great analogy by the way.

Now is one of the best time of year to take the boxster out for a good spanking, there's something about winter sun with the roof down. Plus the roads are quiet because most people have alcohol poisoning. 

I needed to get some beers the other day ..... 250 mls later and i saved 50p a bottle on my beers i got ......loved the drive out in its new winters . talk about grip :woot::wub_anim:

did you polish a profit into the celica ...  i don't see your name on the bookings for the west highland meet in april .  huge attendance and a beautiful hotel to ourselves . and the roads of the gods ......

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

Nice bumper @Loz987, what's that from?

It’s the Porsche Aero Kit Bumper. Factory option. SKU 98650598001G2X 

@Harri986 found it and let me have it cheap. Even fitted the bugger! 

He and a few other good Boxster buddies have made 986 ownership an absolute joy. 

18 minutes ago, M12MTR said:

Jeeez Loz...... you sold the Celica already?????

(You are car dealer by any chance? You go through more cars than I have cooked breakfasts!).

Its actually a personal best for a non 986 for @Loz987

My 986 record is 12 days, set this very year! My one and only 3.2s! Hard to even remember having all that power now...

this was a fleeting daliance with a lady from the wrong side of the tracks. It was however, sublime! At the moment it looks like I might be delivering the car to Bridport! That’s south of Taunton!!

Talk about the long kiss goodnight 🥰

1 hour ago, Loz987 said:

My one and only 3.2s! Hard to even remember having all that power now...

What's wrong with you? Don't you like power? Celica looks lovely but, that whole generation is foobar. GT4 is a real Celica.

Good post, i get the same feeling if slightly diluted when i put my hardtop on for winter, changes the feel and look of the car, and then in the summer i get the same feeling all over again like getting a new car when the hardtop comes off and the open top sports car re appears.

Is yours normally a daily driver? I think having a car as a weekender helps with the boredom and perhaps means you are less inclined to chop it in. Since having my first Boxster in 2012 I've had at least 8 other 'daily' cars so it keeps the Boxster feeling fresh when you get in and drive. My analogy is less like a new car but more like an old guitar or bike where you can get reacquainted very quickly and rediscover all the fun and charms. 

13 hours ago, GmanB said:

What's wrong with you? Don't you like power? Celica looks lovely but, that whole generation is foobar. GT4 is a real Celica.

I have found my 2.7 has more than enough power to both flatter and challenge my driving capability. It’s got me learning every time out and I know the gains required for better progress come from my development not the car’s. 

When I can “Chris Harris” my 2.7 at the drop of a hat I might consider more horse power. But I suspect there’s more fun in driving a slow car briskly than having ponies that never get to stretch their legs. 

4 hours ago, edc said:

Is yours normally a daily driver? I think having a car as a weekender helps with the boredom and perhaps means you are less inclined to chop it in. Since having my first Boxster in 2012 I've had at least 8 other 'daily' cars so it keeps the Boxster feeling fresh when you get in and drive... 

It’s a weekender in my case, and oddly I’ve had 8 “daily’s” since March 2016 when my Boxster passion began..

with this little tinker. As soon as saw someone else drive her away, I knew I had to replace her. 6 days later... enter Mr Beaks!

and had she not befallen an untimely demise...

she'd like as not still be Tickling my tastebuds as we speak, but...

So the story continued... 

Yes, having a daily certainly helps. Except when your daily is not your first choice of daily contrast car (company car driver here), it can leave a bit of a gap. Enter various distractions:

last winter...

...and this winter, with a strines “non German” special for New Years day🎉👍

Archived