Changing battery - is there a right way to do it?

chanlon1

I recently changed the battery in my 2008 987.1

Whilst the ignition was off, I disconnected the old one, put the new one in, and hey presto a better battery. 

However......I got the dreaded  Navigation not available, Telephone not available, CD changer not available messages. 

A quick visit to Belfast OPC and they confirmed that the car had appeared to forget them and recorded them back in again......all be it for a price.

I am pretty sure this all ties in to me changing the battery.

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks 

My understanding is that certain functions get forgotten when you disconnect the battery including heated seats. These then need recoding (PIWIS?) to reinstate them.

An easy way around this is to keep the 12v feed live when you change the battery. There are memory savers available that ensure these features are not forgotten like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpoint-CPT0635870-Computer-Memory-Saver/dp/B0044DDOQG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548147634&sr=8-4&keywords=car+memory+saver

Also, you can attach jump leads from the new battery to car's terminals attached to the old battery. Then when you disconnect the old battery and remove it the 12v feed remains live. You just need to make sure you don't short anything when you move the new battery to its position in the car.

I have been told that when disconnecting the battery you must have the ignition on (engine not running), so this is what I have done so to avoid the alarm going off.

However recently at an indy when having the window regulator replaced they simply disconnected the battery without the ignition being on and nothing at all happened - the alarm did not go off. The key was in the ignition though if that makes any difference.

So I have to say I'm confused. Should the ignition be on or not when changing the battery?

9 minutes ago, dim33 said:

I have been told that when disconnecting the battery you must have the ignition on (engine not running), so this is what I have done so to avoid the alarm going off.

However recently at an indy when having the window regulator replaced they simply disconnected the battery without the ignition being on and nothing at all happened - the alarm did not go off. The key was in the ignition though if that makes any difference.

So I have to say I'm confused. Should the ignition be on or not when changing the battery?

I think it's key in and moved to first position, so not position 2 which is ignition on.

4 hours ago, dim33 said:

I have been told that when disconnecting the battery you must have the ignition on

I thought this was 986's???? Might well be wrong. I know I changed my battery with no problem that wasn't fixed by a short drive.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

'05 987s. Changed the battery, no key in ignition, no backup power.

Brief PSM failure message that (as expected) cleared after just a few minutes of driving.

Only issue for me is that the new battery has a slightly thicker lip where it clamps down so was a bit (only a bit) of a faff.

This Battery:

Bosch 585200080 Battery https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005XVUSA8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my Boxster S I disconnected the battery to see if it fixed the passenger window drop issue....only problems I had when I reconnected the batter was the Traction Control system wasnt working (had a small heart attack and flap) but then realised you have to drive it a little distance and it resets itself.

Everything else worked just fine, heated seats and stereo etc. I didnt have the key in the ignition or anything like that either.

For me it was straightforward (987.2).

Changed the battery as in any other "normal" car. Ignition key in my pocket. Disconnect negative, then positive, replace battery, reconnect positive, reconnect negative.

Then I started the car and the instrument cluster was looking like a Christmas tree with lot of lights on and errors (expected by reading on different forums).

Drove it for a few minutes, and all errors went away (no need to store again raio stations or navi settings)

No further issue in the next months.

Going from the responses so far I must have done something really weird then. Or.....:maybe my PCM issues weren’t really related to the battery?

All components are working fine now.

i did though spot some exclamation marks beside some items in the menu. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, chanlon1 said:

Going from the responses so far I must have done something really weird then. Or.....:maybe my PCM issues weren’t really related to the battery?

All components are working fine now.

i did though spot some exclamation marks beside some items in the menu. 

Or the really big windows in Belfast are starting to pay off :)

Archived