Tyre wear seems excessive

SDF1965

Hi all

Have covered about 6000 miles since buying the S last year, bought with new Avon ZZ5 tyres all round, a few spirited drives but certainly no ‘hanging the tail out’ rubber burning type shenanigans! Rears are completely worn out, fronts have a good 7mm of tread left

car is lower than stock with greater negative camber but should they have worn this quickly?

0605431A-B541-429F-A5C3-F61DE3058A62.jpeg

If you are a decent amount lowered and don't have adjustable rear toe links then your rear toe is probably out hence the excessive wear on half the tyre. 

Thanks for the replies, i’ve Been running 36 PSI in the rears, tyres are 265/35/18 

@edc, thinking you may be right, rear toe maybe excessive, car is very stable and corners well however recent miles have been hacking up and Down the M5 and M4 s perhaps high speed in a straight line has worn them out

Any recommendations on who has experience of aligning the suspension in Gloucestershire / Wiltshire area? Not keen on burning through tyres at this rate of knots!

6k is not great, but not unheard of for a performance tyre. 

Not familiar with the ZZ5, though I don't think the tread wear rating on them is that low, so would expect a few k more. 

A mechanic who sets up cars for racing and thus knows the effects of various setting is what you need. Some only know how to set to the specs which are wide and thus different ends of the spec will have different effects on handling and longevity. I used to get 15k miles out of a set once aligned to favor tread wear. I might have sacrificed a bit of handling but, since I wasn't going to test the limits, it was a choice I made consciously.

What depth have you got on those two grooves that aren’t fully worn?   Are you sure the central channel wasn’t a secondary groove? (I.e. not full depth). It would seem strange for the central section to be so worn without overinflation.

i know wear on the likes of the PZERO can look misleading as one of the outer grooves is secondary and so it often looks like the outside is worn when in reality wear is even.

Tyres replace and 4 wheel alignment done, as best they could as I don’t have after market adjustable toe links

measurements on the rear were

left rear -2.3 degrees camber and .09 toe in .     Right rear -2.53 degrees camber and .29 toe in

After alignment

lr -2.3 camber and .07 toe in       Rr -2.4 camber and .1 degree toe in

front has been measured at

lf -.53 camber and .03 toe in   Rf -.54 camber and .03 toe in

No noticeable signs of wear in any of the bushes

thoughts on measurements, rear camber is quite excessive due to car being lowered and no adjustable links, is it worth the expense of changing these out?

Hard to make a suggestion on what a good set up would be without knowing your driving style and the type of roads you drive. 

You could slot the top mounts to get more front camber, which will make the car more neutral (less understeer) but what you have now will be fine. 

I wouldnt worry about the rear camber. Mine was the same when lowered 30mm or so from stock, and as long as you have some toe in, which you have, it will be good, with no excessive inner tyre wear. 

I just replaced some zz5 rears on Sunday. They came on my new summer wheels with good tread and less than a 1000 spirited miles later, they’d shaved from 5mil ish, to 3mil ish and given I will be putting another 1000 miles on them in the next 2 weeks, I figured better change. 

The miles I put on them though were absolute some of the most fun I’ve had in a Boxster! Very good feel and give in the sidewall, super safe in the damp. Ridiculously good dry grip. I’m hoping the Goodyear’s give me the same degree of pleasure. 

I managed to get 7k from my last set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 rears. Honestly, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I use the car everyday and do love to corner fast when safe. There was some minor excessive wear on the inside of the off side, but this was due to alignment. I'm hopeful of getting a few more miles out of the new set. 

Kwikfit do a 2year deal for 8 alignments on the same vehicle (or at least registration 🤫) for £119.99. 

Seems a good deal for the safety conscious. 

Archived