Is 95 Ron unleaded ok

Roger C

On 3/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, Nobbie said:

95 is just fine, the engine adjusts the timing to suit the lower octane rating. You should get slightly higher power from 97, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blind test.

I've run mine from London to Aberdeen and back a couple of times. Near 600 miles each way. 95 one way, 97, the other. Inconclusive difference in MPG. Nor can I feel any difference in performance.  The higher octane should allow more ignition advance, and therefore better MPG. Paying more for 97 might make you feel better, though.😀

i used to go out of  my way to get high octane stuff when i got my first . 986S . then i seen the light .  they all run fine . and i just switched to standard unleaded . when i'm in a big city i sometimes treat the car to tesco 99 .😁

I tried both, I could discern no difference in power but the 99ron did seem to give a marginal boost to mpg so given the small (5p/litre) difference in cost (for Tesco momentum or Costco Premium) it makes sense to use the 99. Given the frankly comical price difference for premium seen at Esso and Shell garages I’m not sure I’d make the same choice if they were my usual tipple. 

The engine is designed for 98.

I’m told that when the engine adjusts for lower octane fuel it will take several tank fulls to re-adjust back, hence why people will say things like “I tried a tank full of 98 - it made no difference”.

its not just octane, the additive package makes a difference for long term engine health. V-powers additive package is considered by many to be the best there is. 

Your car, your choice.  My car only gets V-power (unless in NW Scotland)

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:03 PM, Jason986S said:

I use Shell Vpower, nothing less (unless desperate somewhere random)

+1

I tend to switch between Shell V-Power and the Tesco Momentum UL, hope switching between the two doesn't affect my car too much.

I think since I've owned my car the 19-20 odd months or so I've only filled up with regular UL once. And that was out of desperation.

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

I’m sure the car would feel the same and I’m not upset or interested in mega mpg. But still, premium is premium.

I only do about 2-3K a year in mine, so not really bothered about mpg, just want the best for it!

All of my cars get V-power if possible,and my partner now convinced too.We getter better mpg and obviously cleaner fuel better for engine and possibly environment

which is a plus. The extra cost compared to mpg gain for us means actually no more expensive.Shell actually recommends 3 to 4 tankfulls of v-power before any noticeable difference

in performance/mpg so no real gain in just putting cleaner fuel in occasionally.

So just to add to my post on page one, I thought I would have a look on my fuel logging app (road trip) on my phone....yes I know it could be classed as sad but its kinda interesting to see what the REAL MPG is on our cars vs the fictitious numbers given by manufactures and the on board computers!

fullsizeoutput_1b33_zpsx6bhjfcs.jpeg

Above is the screen shot of the Boxster's fuel consumption since I got it in the back end of June 2018...the ok so I did 1.5k miles on regular unleaded and only 1k on super but as you can see the gain in MPG is negligible  as for cost per mile its even more negligible being 0.003 of a pence different!

Hope this helps....

10 hours ago, Nick_McUK said:

Hope this helps....

Probably not...... 😂

I think the most important thing is to buy your fuel somewhere where there ain't bloody long queues, and/or where the staff are aesthetically pleasing to ones eye (no cards here) 

Someone will probably now say busy stations only, as the fuel will loose its octane rating if sat around in the tanks for ages 🤥

At the suggestion of my homeopath I buy 95 and then put a tiny miniscule droplet of V Power in as well and the results are truly amazing, 10% increase in power, 5 MPG more and the car is so smooth and definitely produces less pollution - you can see it in the exhaust. Mrs Radio reports that her hair doesn't get blown about as much at speed with the roof down and I have also detected more positive comments from other motorists as well :laughingsmiley: 

Archived