Is 95 Ron unleaded ok

Roger C

Have run mine almost exclusively on 97 Ron (Esso). Lots of people use shell v power and lots use Tesco 99 Ron. 

Personally I tend to avoid supermarket petrol stations not so much for the fuel but I hate the queues and the general “rush” and the “me first activity” and I get a little bit concerned about the ethanol content but that’s just me. 

The cars will adapt to running on regular rated fuel. They just don’t run at peak efficiency apparently and a number of people have reported better fuel economy with the higher Ron. 

pays your money and takes your choice. If I was doing a track day I would probably hunt out v power but for day to day the fact there’s an esso station at the end of my road means it gets 97 from there (which has 0 ethanol content unless you are in Devon or Cornwall or parts of Scotland apparently)

95 is just fine, the engine adjusts the timing to suit the lower octane rating. You should get slightly higher power from 97, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blind test.

I can't understand why anybody would buy a sports car and then run it on fuel at less than the recommended RON unless, of course, that your commute crosses the Gobi Desert or similar.  The recommended grade of fuel is shown inside the flap of the filler cap.

32 minutes ago, Radish said:

I can't understand why anybody would buy a sports car and then run it on fuel at less than the recommended RON unless, of course, that your commute crosses the Gobi Desert or similar.  The recommended grade of fuel is shown inside the flap of the filler cap.

here we go a fuel thread!

Plain UL is fine and if you use the car daily why would you want to pay more for fuel with dubious advantages (I have a thread somewhere where I ran mine on both UL and Super for about 4000 miles apiece and the marginal fuel economy gains were barely justified by the increased cost (if at all). If it were a garage queen like some then the extra cost is small but if you do 8000 miles a year then it isn't.

Plus IIRC my car hit 5 bhp over the stated for the car on normal UL when we did a rolling road thing a few years back too...

...and in normal driving I dont 'need' any extra performance Super 'may' give either...

First video “you certainly can damage an engine using regular petrol for a car designed to run premium”.

second vide “number 1 - never use a fuel with an octane rating lower than the manufacturer recommends”

If you have an engine warranty claim try telling Porsche that using a lower octane rating than what it says on the flap and in the manual is fine and isn’t a reason for them to deny your claim.  Using the lower rated fuel will likely trigger the knock sensor and retard the ignition leading to lower performance - whether this information is also recorded for Porsche to subsequently discover I don’t know.  Why risk it?  You bought a performance car so run it and maintain it like one.  If you want to save money on fuel buy a Prius!

I am going to part ex my for a Prius I think 🤣

1 hour ago, Nath said:

First video “you certainly can damage an engine using regular petrol for a car designed to run premium”.

second vide “number 1 - never use a fuel with an octane rating lower than the manufacturer recommends”

If you have an engine warranty claim try telling Porsche that using a lower octane rating than what it says on the flap and in the manual is fine and isn’t a reason for them to deny your claim.  Using the lower rated fuel will likely trigger the knock sensor and retard the ignition leading to lower performance - whether this information is also recorded for Porsche to subsequently discover I don’t know.  Why risk it?  You bought a performance car so run it and maintain it like one.  If you want to save money on fuel buy a Prius!

I'll stick with a Boxster thanks, a Prius doesn't handle as well through the bends as my 20 year old Boxster, despite using unleaded, not using an OPC for servicing and using non OEM parts, all things a 'performance car' requires surely?

At the end of the day it's for each owner to decide how to spend their money based on the information available to them, not some snobbery about how a 'performance car' should treated. Yes, ideally this should be based on facts and this forum is a great place for these to be discussed, but your post is mostly speculation.

From the 986 manual, I expect as the 987 uses the same engine, it will be similar.

The engine is designed to provide optimum performance and fuel consumption if unleaded premium fuel with 98 RON is used.

If unleaded premium fuel with octane numbers of at least 95 RON are used, the engine's knock regulation automatically adapts the ignition timing.

So, in answer to the OP,, it's fine to use 95 RON as the engine will adapt, but if you are off to Santa Pod to run the 1/4 mile, best top up with 98 RON.

14 hours ago, Roger C said:

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that these need 98 Ron, just wondering if 95 or 97 would be ok?

Hi Roger if you are still confused then then the owners handbook is your friend. I know its easier to ping a question here and you may not have a handbook to, er, hand. Same applies to questions about tyre pressures, tyre sizes, wheel bolt torque settings and if your wheel bolts should be greased or not and if so with which grease. All subjects that generate enthusiastic dabate.

As I understand it the engine is designed to run on 98. If you use 95 the engine automatically adjust the timing to avoid the potentially harmful pre-ignition that would otherwise occur with 95. I'm not technical in the least but thats how I've come to understand the issue. FWIW I use the 98 unless it unavailable or there is a long queue at the Shell garage, then I nip along to Sainsburys and fill up there 👍

3 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

So, in answer to the OP,, it's fine to use 95 RON as the engine will adapt, but if you are off to Santa Pod to run the 1/4 mile, best top up with 98 RON.

^^ This. I was trying slowly to type something similar on my phone but Nobbie beat me to it. The number on the fuel flap is not the whole story. The way I understand the manual, the engine is designed to run on anything between 95 and 98 but produce peak performance with 98. I don't usually need that peak performance, so don't usually put 98 in. And that's probably just one of the reasons I'd lag behind some Boxanetters on a spirited run ...

I stand corrected, the manual does indeed say you can run 95.(but avoid full throttle).  In fact it says you can get away with 91 in an emergency.  I personally will stick to 98 as I don’t use it for commuting.

10 minutes ago, Nath said:

I stand corrected, the manual does indeed say you can run 95.(but avoid full throttle).  In fact it says you can get away with 91 in an emergency.  I personally will stick to 98 as I don’t use it for commuting.

Interesting about the full throttle bit, doesn't mention it in the 986 manual, but then the 987.2 does have a different engine. Looks like I'll have to run Shell V-Power when I upgrade as full throttle is the way I roll, you don't have much choice when following @Loz987 😎

2 hours ago, Nath said:

You bought a performance car so run it and maintain it like one.  If you want to save money on fuel buy a Prius!

Nice wide sweeping statement that....it's not a delicate Italian supercar...

Maybe doing 8000 miles a year warrants me px'ing for a Prius...will put it to the wife to see what she reckons

Can I ask how many miles a year do you use yours for?

13 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

Maybe doing 8000 miles a year warrants me px'ing for a Prius...will put it to the wife to see what she reckons

I’ve done 4K in mine, and always use 98 as that’s what @Loz987 told me to do. Now I get why, coz he’s always at full throttle! 😀

41 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

Sure, I’ve done about 7,000 miles in the last 12 months.  And a little bit more than that on average over the last 3 years.

I have revised my statement in a subsequent post after reading the manual as it appears that it doesn’t cause damage (987.2).  I’ve had other cars where it can.  If it did cause damage I would stick to my original comment ie it would be just another cost of ownership.

I’m not sure if the manuals are different for the S. In my 2.5 I used 95 to get there an 98 to play when there. In the S I only used 99 or 98. In the 2.7 I always use 99 or 98 where available with the odd exception being “getting there” miles not “playing there” miles.  

Triggers broom gets its legs stretched keeping up with all the high horsepower Boxster S drivers, so I give it the best chance with the fuel selection. 

3 hours ago, Nath said:

Sure, I’ve done about 7,000 miles in the last 12 months.  And a little bit more than that on average over the last 3 years.

I have revised my statement in a subsequent post after reading the manual as it appears that it doesn’t cause damage (987.2).  I’ve had other cars where it can.  If it did cause damage I would stick to my original comment ie it would be just another cost of ownership.

fair enough

all this is a bit theoretical for me - my nearest petrol station has 97ron - and next nearest is about 20+ miles away and has 97ron too.

No idea where the nearest shell garage is to get 98ron. So being out here in the sticks, it gets 97ron as that's all there is.

And the manual says 95 ok, though I use 97 mostly.

I have run my 987.1 S (3.2) on both Unleaded and Super Unleaded (Sainsburys) and I can say the only thing i noticed was the car was slightly smoother on the S-UL and this was only after putting a couple of tanks through it.

Performance wise not much difference...bit sharper on S-UL.

If you are commuting and daily driving just put regular 95 RON  UL in it if you are doing track days then run it on SUL 97/98 RON.

As I think has been said above pretty much all new cars now have VVT and can modify the timing to account for lower octane fuels so no damage will happen.

Archived