Disable the trunk light

Roger C

or connect via the ciggy lighter with the ctek adapter - wires are fine closed in the door against the seal.... It's the way the porsche branded version (charge-o-90 quid-o-mat) connects.

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

or connect via the ciggy lighter with the ctek adapter - wires are fine closed in the door against the seal.... It's the way the porsche branded version (charge-o-90 quid-o-mat) connects.

Ahhh, I take it the cig lighter is permanent live then. Whats best to use, the cig lighter or the aux power socket?

Rog.

As far as I know the ciggy lighter is live "for a while" (something tells me 2 hours) when the ignition is turned off, and it stays live after that if something is connected to that period..... I assume that the ciggy lighter is the way to go since not all cars have the extra socket in the passenger footwell. I plug mine in to the ciggy lighter - ctek happy lights all good - maximum time I put have had it in is 10 days and happy lights at the end of the period.

16 minutes ago, boxster07 said:

The light goes off after two hours anyway, you can open and close the doors but it won’t reactivate the frunk light until you shut the frunk and re open.

Well that's handy to know, thanks mate.

Rog.

Connect to the front centre console ciggy lighter with a ctek "comfort" connector. They cost about £11. The cable runs out of either door at the bottom.  Then lock the car. Simplez

27 minutes ago, red rocket said:

As Paul P said. Cig lighter and out of the door via the rubber seals so the cable is not crimped. Can leave it for days.

Or a month, in my case.

As above - and this is handed down so I don't guarantee its accuracy - cig is live for "a while".  For me that just means to plug it in once I've got out of the car, rather than forgetting about it then going to plug it in the next day.  I'm maintaining off a solar panel propped up by the garage window, it's never given me a problem but it has absolutely no indicator lights to show if it's working or not! 

So my maintainer is always "on" and aligned with the driver's door when I reverse into the garage, thus cable is always at the ready. CBA with the faff of setting it up each time; I just grab cable which hangs on a nearby hook, and plug it in.

I take the cable for mine in from the top of the bonnet, at the bottom of the windscreen - can close the bonnet that way without squashing the cable.

30 minutes ago, MrBen said:

I take the cable for mine in from the top of the bonnet, at the bottom of the windscreen - can close the bonnet that way without squashing the cable.

I did that to start with - but I found myself forgetting it was plugged in and reversing out with it attached, I went for the ciggy lighter, (like meno I tend to put it on when I park if I know I am not using the car for a "few" days and everytime over the winter) - it's not my daily but I use it a couple of days every week typically - so I went for drivers door (cable doesn't pinch against seal) as a more visual reminder, and for me it's easier to hook up because car is tight to the wall when I park it and I have to lean across to open the frunk. 

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

As above - and this is handed down so I don't guarantee its accuracy - cig is live for "a while". 

Here's a thought. Do your chargers indicate activity (or inactivity)? If so, could someone try plugging one in eg 12h after the car was switched off, and see if it starts to work or not? And if not, try again after 4h, 2h? We'd then get a practical idea of how long the ciggy remains live.

mine does indicate activity - the cycle "begins" when you plug it in - but (I have no proof of this) I think the cars timer starts when you lock the door - and resets (starts again) when you unlock - so shrodinger's charger scenario (ish) - the action of looking affect the results of the looking. 

Reading a few other forums seems the sockets power down (opinion varies between 5 and 45 mins) - unless power is applied TO them - in which case they stay live.

So I can try connect charger to car but not to wall - lock and leave it an hour - then plug in - if the charger does its happy sequence then the socket is live - if not then its powered down. If I remember I will try this over the weekend.

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

I think the cars timer starts when you lock the door

Ah, not just shut off the ignition? Mine's always unlocked in the garage.  The garage is locked and the driveway gates are locked, there's only so much paranoia I can take.

Love Schrodinger's charger :)

Don’t know why I think it’s lock / unlock but there’s def some wake up that goes on (aside from locks and inferior lights) there’s some delay clicking etc. 

Maybe it’s open (there also some activity when you lift the door handle locked or unlocked ) 

can try that for an hour or two. Mine is in a locked garage but my paranoia level is a little higher so I lock it overnight. 

Archived