986 with short shift

Darkstar

I had a cunning plan but then I changed my mind.

I was thinking I might ask the local OPC for a quote to have the ECU under the passengers seat fixed/replaced. Depending on the cost I can then take it from there.

I just feel wrong selling it with that fault.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, PaulQ said:

People say this every year, but if prices do drop at all (I don't think they do) it isn't by much, certainly on the cheaper cars anyway. 

Cheap cars are that for a reason summer or winter but 986 prices always drop in winter, a 986 sale in winter is because you have too, others are in the same boat chasing an ever decreasing buyer's pool.

Lowest priced boxster on auto trader right now is £2950 in winter the lowest boxster may be under 2k this year.

I bought mine 2 days before Christmas. I studied the prices for a long time, 5 years ago the difference was bigger but it still applies now.

36 minutes ago, Southy said:

Cheap cars are that for a reason summer or winter but 986 prices always drop in winter, a 986 sale in winter is because you have too, others are in the same boat chasing an ever decreasing buyer's pool.

Lowest priced boxster on auto trader right now is £2950 in winter the lowest boxster may be under 2k this year.

I bought mine 2 days before Christmas. I studied the prices for a long time, 5 years ago the difference was bigger but it still applies now.

Bargains can pop up any time of the year. Sorry, will have to agree to disagree on this one :)

5 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Bargains can pop up any time of the year. Sorry, will have to agree to disagree on this one :)

No worries, hope I'm wrong 😎

The God's hate me. 

I had made up my mind to keep her and at lunch time the roof jamed half way down. A bit of wiggle and it's down but I'm now shyateting myself for when I have to put it up again. I did find the drivers side ball joint had jumped out of the guid rail and have put it back in  but was that the cause or just an effect. 

I need a new Boxster. 

Off to get completely plastered. 🍻

You could pop both ball joints out again and pull it back up manually until you figure out the cause of the problem? Not ideal but is a way to close it again without breaking anything... (use the roof open/close button on the console to 'close' the roof so the clamshell opens fully, stop it and close the roof by hand, then continue with the closing until the clamshell closes again. Had to do this when mine snapped its ball joint)

It went back up perfectly but I think I need to replace the two slides. Will see if Silverstone OPC can supply at a decent price. Design911 want £1.61 each. 

On 7/3/2019 at 9:13 AM, PaulQ said:

Tell me about it. No actually tell me about it. I keep seeing cars I like but can't afford only to find they sold for less than I was willing to offer but felt offering that much under their asking price would be an insult. 

On 6/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, Darkstar said:

I don't suppose anyone would test drive it for me so I can get a second opinion on its short shift stick.

I've got a short shift on my 986s and I concur it's sticky going from 1 to 2 from cold.  2 is hard to find and feels notchy.  I've never driven a non short shift, but would rather not have this feeling if I had the choice.  It's only for a few mins/miles....however so no bog deal.  Part of the character of the car.

Just seen a lovely gray 3.2S on a 53 plate for £5800. Milage was 104000.

Two question. The horn beeped once when locking, why? 

The boot did not open from the key. Is that expensive to fix.?

It had a lot of tiny stone chips on the windscreen. 

Unfortunately he would not let me test drive unless I was buying which made no sense. 

Also zero paperwork so no history but it was just one owner from new. 

5 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Unfortunately he would not let me test drive unless I was buying which made no sense. 

Assuming same as 987 the beep would signify something (eg front/rear lid ) left open.  Maybe linked to the key issue? Lack of paperwork and test drive would worry me so i would be very cautious. Don't see how you can buy without driving it.

16 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Move on! Red flags flying.

So I was discussing the alarm ECU issue yesterday and have just checked the quote I got from Silverstone OPC the part is £456 and labour is 2 hours at £155 per hour plus vat. 

I also contacted CPS and it's a lot cheaper so if I'm keeping after all that's where I'm going. 

On 7/15/2019 at 6:26 PM, Darkstar said:

So I was discussing the alarm ECU issue yesterday and have just checked the quote I got from Silverstone OPC the part is £456 and labour is 2 hours at £155 per hour plus vat. 

I also contacted CPS and it's a lot cheaper so if I'm keeping after all that's where I'm going. 

£155+VAT PER HOUR!!!?  bloody hell.  I thought my local garage at £60+vat was bad! 

On 7/13/2019 at 1:32 PM, Darkstar said:

as has already been said, it basically means something is open, glovebox, storage box, door, trunk/frunk, radio (if it has an aftermarket one it could be that), but likely its something to do with the boot not opening.   did the mech work (ie could you hear it try when you pushed the button on the inside of the door?)  was it just opening from the key which didn't work?  did the frunk open from the key?  

i really don't understand the mindset of not allowing people to testdrive unless they are 'buying the car'.   I had 2 people (dealer and a private seller) who tried that with me,  i just said, 'look, i've looked at the car and of course i'm interested in buying it, else i wouldn't have asked to drive it would i? it's up to you, but i'm not going to commit to buying anything until i've driven it."

both of the sellers backed down and let me drive.    I wasn't even sure what exactly they wanted before i test drove... do they want a deposit or full payment or something?  I didn't even bother asking as i was so annoyed. 

I found a car on ebay that looked promising asking price under £6K with the exception that he said the central locking did not work.

I asked him if I were to make him an offer it would be conditional on him fixing the central locking.

I have been politely wished well with my continued search.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:47 AM, thefunkygibbon said:

both of the sellers backed down and let me drive.    I wasn't even sure what exactly they wanted before i test drove... do they want a deposit or full payment or something?  I didn't even bother asking as i was so annoyed. 

This is getting more and more common. I can sort of understand it on a 20k car, but on a 5k one seems ott to me. 

I had the opposite when selling a BMW many years ago. Chap didn't even want to see it running, let alone drive it. I insisted he at least take it round the block to make sure he was happy with the car.! 

How much does it cost to get a garage to replace the front brake pipes on a 1999 3.2L 986, should they need replacing.

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

2 hours ago, Darkstar said:

I decided to fix a problem with my rear badge. What do you think. 

NWZBjDz.jpg

The very observent should notice the obvious. 

Congratulations! 🙂👍🏻 Do you now have a brace of Boxsters or did you sell/px your silver 2.5?

4 minutes ago, Stewart_H said:

Congratulations! 🙂👍🏻 Do you now have a brace of Boxsters or did you sell/px your silver 2.5?

Now that's a new club we could start for those with two Boxsters. 

Archived