986 with short shift

Darkstar

So I might have lied a little in another thread, mainly to myself, as I went to see a 986 3.2 S this afternoon. 

The problem was it had been recently fitted with a short shift and I really struggled to find the gears. Is that normal. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends which short shift was fitted.

The oem one is definitely tighter but very useable, the cheap Chinese copies are very tight and not for everyone. Either way easy to swap and they both loosen up as the car warms up 👍

I only had a 5 mile test drive. So if I drove it further it might loosen up. 

Not completely sold on the colour as its gray. Not a big problem but I had my heart set on black. It has heated seats and parking assist on a 51 plate with 101k miles. All for £4.5k plus my 986.

Sounds expensive unless your car is in a bad way. 

But to your point, the quick shifts are an acquired taste. And the S is renowned for a stiff shift to second when cold anyway which will be exacerbated by the kit. 

Go with your gut.  

That's very near me and it's been for sale for months now. I've driven past a few times and thought it was overpriced for the mileage

Edit: Actually I might by lying. That's at a different dealership but looks identical to one that was being sold by Woodstock cars a few miles away. 

it's a well spec'd car, litronics/heated seats, reversing sensors, just missing a facelift roof. you could change out the short shift kit if that the only niggle, I'm not up on prices at the moment.

stretch your budget just a little and something like this appears:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905067670438?advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&make=PORSCHE&postcode=dy101xb&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=BOXSTER&aggregatedTrim=987 S&page=1

Heated seats, Sports Chrono pack, Zenons, Bose ICE upgrade, Hartec engine 4 years ago ay 60k , low temp thermostat, IMS bearing seal changed. Lady Owner last 5 years. No Canvassers. Next MOT due 28/02/2020, Full service history, Grey, 5+ owners, £7,750

1f315b43b3da4a88b6cf62bd2ae29215.jpg

I notice budget tyres and no honeycombs in the rollover hoops.

Unless that 986 has good SH, working aircon and has had attention to bits like clutch / flywheel / rms and suspension, the price needs to begin with a 4 or 5.
Number plate brings up another car on MOT history, so can't scrutinise that either.

£3k is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to 986 pricing. @Darkstar, I don't know enough about your car, but surely it must be worth more than that? You'd be better off selling privately and buying a 987 (or better 986 - my spidey senses tell me the grey one is a dog).

On 6/14/2019 at 7:13 PM, Loz987 said:

Sounds expensive unless your car is in a bad way. 

Unfortunately my car is in a bad way cosmetically speaking and the ecu under the passenger seat got flooded under the previous owners stewardship. 

9 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I also feel the grey one is £1-1.5k overpriced in my opinion. 

I thought it was overpriced but its local so thought I would go and see it. 

They only just got it so will probably chance their arm and over price it for a month or two. Its also probably the cheapest car on their lot so not their target market. 

5 hours ago, Jason986S said:

I also feel the grey one is £1-1.5k overpriced in my opinion. 

Legit question, what assumptions are we making about the car?

What would justify an asking price of £7k with those miles (or is the simple answer 'nothing')?

On 6/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, K.I.T.T. said:

Legit question, what assumptions are we making about the car?

What would justify an asking price of £7k with those miles (or is the simple answer 'nothing')?

Well it's not concourse condition. A couple of nasty stone chips on bumper, all four wheels kerbed, brake calipers could do with a coat of paint, rear window had been replaced but not perfect stitching and central counsel had been painted but again not a pro looking job. 

16 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Well it's not concourse condition. A couple of nasty stone chips on bumper, all four wheels kerbed, brake calipers could do with a coat of paint, rear window had been replaced but not perfect stitching and central counsel had been painted but again not a pro looking job. 

At this age and mileage, cosmetic stuff like that isn't unexpected. And I'd actually prefer originality with some patina rather than poor attempts at body repair.

One of my earlier replies:

On 6/15/2019 at 3:45 PM, K.I.T.T. said:

I notice budget tyres and no honeycombs in the rollover hoops.

Unless that 986 has good SH, working aircon and has had attention to bits like clutch / flywheel / rms and suspension, the price needs to begin with a 4 or 5.

Is there any evidence of any of the above being carried out?

Air con appeared to work but again I only had a short test drive. There was a summary sheet in the folder listing all the work I assume was on the receipts with the car that listed new clutch and a lot of suspension work and several 4 wheel alignments after each major change. It also listed a new battery that worried me.

Sounds like it could be a good car if all that checks out, but still think it is a little toppy on price, by perhaps a grand or so.

I seem to remember the electrical niggles you were having with your 2.5. However, a new battery would not put me off depending on how long ago it was done and how old the previous one was. The battery on mine was absolutely shot when I picked the car up (ironically, it was fine on the test drive!) and would not take charge very well at all, nor would it hold charge. Transpired the existing battery was nearly seven years old.

With the new battery, my car will happily sit parked for a fortnight and start without issue and it has a tracker. No trickle charger, etc. 

Don't worry about batteries too much particularly if they are 4+ years old, that said even a new on can be killed by a sharp dip in temperature.  Bear in mind the Boxster battery isn't in a nice warm engine bay to soak up heat and be exposed to residual heat.  If there is a pattern of replacement batteries in the history (anyone could lose an invoice though) then a deeper investigation would be required.

I use mine once a week at best usually... I’ve never needed a battery and for around a year I didn’t have a garage. 

Must have been really lucky with batteries. My options lists have always shown “heavy duty battery” listed. Is that standard for all UK cars? 

42 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

I use mine once a week at best usually... I’ve never needed a battery and for around a year I didn’t have a garage. 

Must have been really lucky with batteries. My options lists have always shown “heavy duty battery” listed. Is that standard for all UK cars? 

I think you’re battery gets super charged up with the way you drive that one day a week 😂

No I think the heavy duty battery is a upgrade but definitely worth it 👍

On 6/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, Southy said:

it's a well spec'd car, litronics/heated seats, reversing sensors, just missing a facelift roof. you could change out the short shift kit if that the only niggle, I'm not up on prices at the moment.

stretch your budget just a little and something like this appears:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905067670438?advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&make=PORSCHE&postcode=dy101xb&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=BOXSTER&aggregatedTrim=987 S&page=1

1f315b43b3da4a88b6cf62bd2ae29215.jpg

Very nice car but my budget just now could not even stretch to the £4.5K plus my car never mind this level.

Archived