Another Newbie

Geoff Pearce

So I’ve posted on a couple of threads but I thought I’d share a few photos of the 987.1S I bought in April.  She’s a 2006 3.2 with 37k miles 3 owners and a full history and perfect mechanically (so far!).  Since I’ve had her I’ve replaced the centre caps (crests lined with valves), replaced the climate switches, installed a Pioneer CarPlay head unit and speakers, had the seats recoloured, refurbed the headlights and detailed the paintwork.  I’ve spent much more time tinkering than driving!

GA6eD5x.jpg

kxgiMa6.jpg

QJkVIQs.jpg

uJldqMh.jpg

4 minutes ago, Geoff Pearce said:

I’ve spent much more time tinkering than driving

Not wholly unheard of round here!

Nice colour combo. Did you get the seats done profesionally?

By the way your profile shows 997 rather than 987.

11 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Not wholly unheard of round here!

Nice colour combo. Did you get the seats done profesionally?

By the way your profile shows 997 rather than 987.

Thanks - fat fingers obviously, now amended.

Yes I had the seats done professionally, they were pretty faded and stained from blue jeans when I got it.  It was the only thing letting the car down really so it was worth the £300 it cost to me.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:20 PM, Geoff Pearce said:

Thanks - fat fingers obviously, now amended.

Yes I had the seats done professionally, they were pretty faded and stained from blue jeans when I got it.  It was the only thing letting the car down really so it was worth the £300 it cost to me.

Thats not bad...I actually did the seats myself in my TVR Chimaera....very very satisfying job and it utterly transforms the interior.

I will probably get the seats out of my 987.1S and do them over the winter.

FYI anyone interested in having a go themselves speak to they guys at the Furniture Clinic they are top folk and its really not that expensive...oh and if you do invest in an airbrush and compressor ;)

Like the black contrast from the wheel and  the centre console. Full red interior is normally too much for me but that colours combo exterior/interior/accents really work. 

Nice car. 

Thanks for all the compliments!  I love the colour combo, I know colours shouldn’t be the biggest consideration when buying a new car but it was high up on my list.

Now the only thing that’s letting the car down a bit is the hood.  It as a few wear marks on it but the worst thing is that it’s got white marks around all of the frame supports.  I’ve tried the full Renovo clean, reviver and weatherproofer but if anything that’s made it worse.  I’m thinking about a new one.  It’s currently black but I may be brave and go for burgundy.  Any thoughts?

Also, how much should I expect to pay?  Carhood Warehouse have quoted £1350 for burgundy but that seems a bit steep to me?

10 hours ago, Geoff Pearce said:

Thanks for all the compliments!  I love the colour combo, I know colours shouldn’t be the biggest consideration when buying a new car but it was high up on my list.

Now the only thing that’s letting the car down a bit is the hood.  It as a few wear marks on it but the worst thing is that it’s got white marks around all of the frame supports.  I’ve tried the full Renovo clean, reviver and weatherproofer but if anything that’s made it worse.  I’m thinking about a new one.  It’s currently black but I may be brave and go for burgundy.  Any thoughts?

Also, how much should I expect to pay?  Carhood Warehouse have quoted £1350 for burgundy but that seems a bit steep to me?

I'm also a big fan of the red interiors - having missed out on a silver gen 2 with red interior before I got my little guards red 987 SE - I'm pretty sure @villaman had a new red hood put on his 987 just before he sold it - £750 ish seems to ring a bell - but I could be wrong ! but I think he is up Staffordshire way,so don't know who he used.

17 hours ago, Geoff Pearce said:

1. I'm not sure burgundy would work with that red interior, I think you'd risk two different reds going on, and that can look really bad. Someone here changed their steering wheel from the wrong red to the right red, it was so much better.  Similar with grey, if it's not the "same" grey as the paintwork, it could look uncoordinated.  Unless you're desperate for a change I personally would stick with black.

2. Never seen the price of a 987 roof, only 986 (£6-800). I know the 987 roof is thicker - has an extra lining? - so that might account for some difference. Someone got two quotes for a 986 roof and the lower one was to use their own existing lining.  Not sure if that system works for 987s, need to ask CW.

That’s a good point about the clashing reds.  I was inspired by the RS60 but the seats in those are a darker red and match the hood quite closely.  CW came back and quoted £1200 for a black roof and can do it with a week’s notice compared to 3 weeks for a red top.  It seems like black is the way to go.  There are really very few companies around that replace hoods.  Only 2 in Essex where I live and one of those has shocking reviews.  The other one hasn’t given me a price yet which doesn’t inspire confidence.  

Archived