Centre console removal 981?

Stuart21UK

The ashtray lid on my car opens and closes cleanly but doesn't stay shut.

I suspect that a spring or something has come off....does anyone know how to remove the assembly? 

I can pull out the ashtray part but it doesn't reveal any of the mechanism for the lid itself...suspect I will need to remove some part of the top fo the centre conosle but can't find any guides online :(

@topradio IIRC you swapped out switches on your 981? Can you give me any links/photos or pointers? 

these are library pics (except the first)

2014_03_19-Khalid-8.jpg

2019_06_23-smokers-pack-3.jpg

2019_06_23-smokers-pack-1.jpg

2019_06_23-smokers-pack-2.jpg

Stuart, I haven't actually removed the ashtray but I would start by removing the switch panel. Open the ashtray lid (oh you have already:P) and get your fingers between it and the switch panel. Just lift the complete panel and it will unclip from the console. You will then be able to see how the ash tray is fixed in. I suspect that it just clips in the same as the switch panel.

I'll go and have a look at how mine is fitted and report back.

Actually I still don't know how to remove it. First I lifted out the switch panel (it will lift the trailing edge of the gear lever trim as it comes out)

bjkQurH.jpg

Unclip the switches

BN650Lm.jpg

The ash tray is mounted in a plastic frame that is part of the centre console as highlighted in this picture

ZUAW3QE.jpg

But I just can't see what holds it there. It looks like these two clips are part of the puzzle.

5MtfXum.jpg

Thanks Eddie....just trying to minimise the cost of the visit to RPM on Tuesday...Suncoast (?) Parts lists the part as $195 which is a bit ridiculous for an ashtray I dont actually use!

Hi Stuart,

I have sent you the manual pages for removing the ashtray via email (as it was easiest). I was given these by Richard Hamilton when I did my airbag control unit - hope they help

cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, tony_zx9r said:

Hi Stuart,

I have sent you the manual pages for removing the ashtray via email (as it was easiest). I was given these by Richard Hamilton when I did my airbag control unit - hope they help

cheers

Tony

Tony

I have emailed you back also but those diagrams are excellent...should enable me to do it...although a little worried about breaking tabs etc in the process!

Cheers

1 hour ago, T24RES said:

Could consider the coin tray as an option??

yes possibly...have to investigate with OPC what the replacement cost of coin tray versus smokers package is in due course...

I cant find anything on ebay at present either way

There are three ashtrays on eBay at the moment. All about £70 and come with the whole console  

i want the ash tray rather then the tray. 

Search 991.553.263.01 for the cheapest

15 hours ago, Malcolm E Box said:

thanks

Basic procedure seems to be

Basic steps just for removing/replacing coin/ashtray:
1 Open centre console
2 Pry up Silver trim starting from the console compartment moving towards the front. I was able to do all of this with just my fingers. Slowing lift up and go back and forth from right side to left side then back to right continuing toward front of car until it's removed.
3 remove rubber grommet that was under the silver trim
4 pull up on plastic surrounding the shifter, just needs to be lifted a little, not removed from car
5 pull on next section where all the buttons are located. This has three wires attached and can be left to the side, but unplugging isn't necessary.
6 push forward (towards front of car) first then slightly upwards on the coin holder to remove

That's it, I was done in less than 5 minutes.
Install in reverse order.

Archived