DVLA 981 registrations - with colour breakdown

Ringer250

Not sure if this has been shown before, but a little internet digging using DVLA sourced data and some summarising has produced the following registrations from 2012 to 2016.

ELyyKhv.jpg

I know some of you will enjoy working out some stats!

Manual gearbox cars represent just over 20% of registrations excluding the Spyder.

Well @topradio can rest assured that gold is pretty exclusive (and I bet fewer had red roofs), and we can now all see that whoever has an orange 981 has the smaller engine in it.

....but multi-colour??!

It did occur to me that Boxsters with different coloured convertible tops might be classed as multi-coloured, but mine is just shown as Silver on the V5C.

And to add to the confusion, the DVLA's notes for first registering vehicles says that if the vehicle has two colours, then both should be entered on the registration, and that "multi-colour" is used where there are three or more colours! So where are all these rainbow-coloured Boxsters? - they can't all belong to @John K surely ...

And I present you with...

VW-Polo-Harlequin-1200x675.jpg

My Mundane is at best Gold and at worst Urine colored but on the log book its 'Silver'

The chap across the road is ex Ford main dealer and he said it must have been raining when the car was delivered unregistered to the initial main dealer.

Apparently when first registering the cars they needed to declare the colour and if it was raining they would not go outside to check and instead just wrote down 'Silver'

2 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

The Polo Harlequin. Have a soft spot for those.

There's quite a few 'colours' that they do in both the Polo and Golf.  I wonder if anyone has been stupid enough to collect a set?  I guess in theory you could swap panels about and get standard cars. :)

3 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Is multi colour meaning any other colour, or literally multiple colours on the same car?!

Could be any other colour if they could not classify it. Could be due to the description entered either on first registration or change of colour/wrap/stripes etc. I know in the motorbike world this can cause confusion with DVLA as the bike can have several colours!

2 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

@Ringer250, may I ask how you obtained this data?

This is the link. You could have fun sorting out other makes and indeed the 986 / 987

https://carcolours.co.uk/

2 hours ago, R1HJK said:

I know for a fact that there is at least one Viper Green 981 S PDK as i almost bought it this year. Seems to be missing from the list...

As we know, DVLA are not always perfect! Could be admin error by them or the way the colour was originally entered and DVLA decided it was a multi colour!

10 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Well @topradio can rest assured that gold is pretty exclusive (and I bet fewer had red roofs), and we can now all see that whoever has an orange 981 has the smaller engine in it.

....but multi-colour??!

I'm surprised that there are 31 gold cars in the UK I wonder how many are still on the road, I have seen 2 advertised as being broken. And orange is the most exclusive colour on a 981:P 

I previously owned a Viper Green Cayman S Sport and that was listed as ‘Multi-colour’, my understanding is that all PTS colours come under this description, as suggested above. 

12 hours ago, topradio said:

I'm surprised that there are 31 gold cars in the UK I wonder how many are still on the road, I have seen 2 advertised as being broken. And orange is the most exclusive colour on a 981:P 

8 minutes ago, 718as said:

I've see s Orange 3.4 for sale last year.

Looked fantastic.

Anyone who buys orange is on a different planet. 

The orange one was posted on here at an OPC. If I had to guess Silverstone.

it had Orange callipers too -some kind soul tagged me with the picture...but I couldn't justify the buy at the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived